Turn off direct headphone monitoring?

I am using my AxII as my interface with my headphones plugged into it. Can I turn off the sound direct from my AxeFx and just monitor the sound coming back from my recording program (reaper)

Tried to look it up for a while with no luck, thought maybe it would be quicker to get an answer here?

thanks

The headphone repeats whatever is going to Output 1. Anything connected to the grid's output mixer will go to Output 1. If you break that connection and send it to Output 2 via the Effects Block, you'll be able to send that out (to Output 2) without going to your headphones.

Gotta admit, I'm not sure why you'd want to play your guitar without monitoring it. :)

I had this same concern myself a few days ago while trying to record some tracks. I think what he means is that when recording, the headphone jack on the Axe FX II sends the guitar sound from the computer end and directly from the Axe (which both sound different believe it or not). It causes the sound to be layered with both sources sending the sound. What I did is turned the monitoring for the guitar track off on the computer end (i was using logic) and monitored it with the axe fx direct sound. Which was not easy because matching the two levels is a pain.. then having to level it when playback direct in logic. I agree though. i wish there was a way to mute the axe fx direct sound when using it with a DAW and just use it as a interface and let the computer send the sound through the axe fx only.

I can't get any of the USB working right in protools 9. It's got the doubling effect and won't record processed audio. It's one giant mess so far and finally gave up after about 10 hours of trying everything and nothing working.

I think what he means is that when recording, the headphone jack on the Axe FX II sends the guitar sound from the computer end and directly from the Axe (which both sound different believe it or not). It causes the sound to be layered with both sources sending the sound. What I did is turned the monitoring for the guitar track off on the computer end (i was using logic) and monitored it with the axe fx direct sound. Which was not easy because matching the two levels is a pain.. then having to level it when playback direct in logic.
I get it. Maybe a wish list item.

I can't get any of the USB working right in protools 9. It's got the doubling effect and won't record processed audio. It's one giant mess so far and finally gave up after about 10 hours of trying everything and nothing working.
I don't know ProTools, but there must be a way to turn off monitoring on the guitar track.

If you want to monitor guitar via DAW only you can route it to the FX Loop block only and set USB/DIGI out source to Out 2.

Gotta admit, I'm not sure why you'd want to play your guitar without monitoring it. :)

Because when Im punching in on a track in I dont want to hear my live guitar until the punch in occurs I want to monitor the pre recorded track before and after the punch in. Also if I do apply any effects on my daw I want to hear that in my monitor mix as well

Is this a strange request? I dont have a lot of daw recording experience but this is how I would prefer to do it.

Maybe I should route the audio out of my Daw into my Saffire and monitor from there instead of using the Axefx, but I remember having some latency issues last time I went this route, I dont have any latency when using the axe

I had this same concern myself a few days ago while trying to record some tracks. I think what he means is that when recording, the headphone jack on the Axe FX II sends the guitar sound from the computer end and directly from the Axe (which both sound different believe it or not). It causes the sound to be layered with both sources sending the sound. What I did is turned the monitoring for the guitar track off on the computer end (i was using logic) and monitored it with the axe fx direct sound. Which was not easy because matching the two levels is a pain.. then having to level it when playback direct in logic. I agree though. i wish there was a way to mute the axe fx direct sound when using it with a DAW and just use it as a interface and let the computer send the sound through the axe fx only.

Yea this is pretty much it. I have to turn off the monitoring in Reaper or I hear a dbl take. So, like you, I also turned off the monitoring in reaper hearing only my guitar directly through the Axefx & agreed it is hard to set monitoring levels this way. Also I did a bunch of recording and did not realize I had the input of my track set to mono so all the stereo imaging I had set in my axefx was recorder in mono, I would have heard this if I was monitoring Reaper and not pre-Reaper. I would just rather hear/monitor exactly what im recording

IIRC, the headphones are hard wired to Output 1. If so, not much chance of making this happen.

I don't think the question was about getting different signals at the line & headphone outs--he just wanted to monitor guitar via DAW and happens to be using the headphone out. As I mentioned on page 1, it's possible now with a slight change to the routing & one I/O setting.

On the other hand, if I'm hearing doubling, that indicates delay between the live sound and the recorded sound. I don't know about you guys, but I play better when I hear my immediate, live sound than I do when I hear myself delayed. In other words, I'd rather hear my immediate tone off the Axe-FX than my latency-laden recorded tone.

On the other hand, if I'm hearing doubling, that indicates delay between the live sound and the recorded sound. I don't know about you guys, but I play better when I hear my immediate, live sound than I do when I hear myself delayed. In other words, I'd rather hear my immediate tone off the Axe-FX than my latency-laden recorded tone.

True, but if your playing a session and your playing with a click and other tracks, you will be off from the click if your listening to the "immediate tone" and trying to match the click on the DAW which is slightly latent.. It sucks because then you have to nudge it to put it where you played it to the click. Its a hard battle.. Either play with the axe fx immediate sound and the click/tracks from the DAW and have it slightly off time, or have the sound come directly from the DAW.. both click/tracks/guitars will be in time when not using the axe fx as the audio interface, but then you have to play with the latency..

There has to be a way to fix the latency when using the Axe FX as an audio interface and only using the sound from the DAW.. Anybody want to chime in?

In cubase there is a setting to release ASIO driver in background. This should eliminate the doubling. I had this set wrong for a couple of years and was always manually adjusting the signal path. When I forgot to adjust the path I would get the phased sound. Perhaps protools has something similiar.

Back
Top Bottom