Turn Off Axe = Turn Off MFC?

Warrior

Power User
Is there a setting to turn off the MFC when the Axe is powered down when running phantom power via midi cable?

That's how mine works. I use a 7-pin MIDI cable and plug the MFC's adapter in the back of the AxeFX. When I shut off the AxeFX the MFC powers down too...

:? I'm using the same setup but the MFC doesn't power off when the AxeFx is shut down using the power switch. The MFC still gets power via the midi cable.

jmpatrick said:
That's how mine works. I use a 7-pin MIDI cable and plug the MFC's adapter in the back of the AxeFX. When I shut off the AxeFX the MFC powers down too...
Uh no, I don't believe it works that way. If the MFC is on, and you are using the 7pin midi connection for power and the 2.5mm MFC adapter jack is plugged into the back of the Axe, then turning off the power to the Axe does NOT power down the MFC. Connections on the back of the Axe are pass-thru only. You will need to disconnect the "fat" end of the MFC power cord to shut it down.

However, if the MFC power adapter and the Axe power cord are plugged into the same power strip and you turn that off, then both are shutdown [duh!].

Sportacus said:
:? I'm using the same setup but the MFC doesn't power off when the AxeFx is shut down using the power switch. The MFC still gets power via the midi cable.
LOL - you beat me to it !! ;)

This has always bugged me. for 2 years Ive got fed up of my All Access not shutting down when I turn off the axe.

Bad design that IMO - who needs a controller on if the rack its controlling is off? Wouldnt be that hard to isolate the power for the controller when the unit is turned off.

I suppose the MFC is designed to work with other MIDI equipment that might be in your rack. Nevertheless, it is a shame there is no option to power it down via the Axe-Fx. To turn it off I have to use my power conditioner, which of course then turns off everything else that's attached to it. Otherwise, I unplug th MIDI cable from the back of the MFC. I guess the MFC is designed to cope with that also....

I fitted my 9v AC adapter inside my AxeFX chassis and connected it directly into the power supply loop. When I power off the AxeFX my phantom powered midi board also powers off. Perfect!

It is really easy to do as well and doesn't require any permanent modifications to the AxeFX itself. I'm pretty sure I posted some pics previously, I'll have a look.

Spence

craiguitar said:
I suppose the MFC is designed to work with other MIDI equipment that might be in your rack. Nevertheless, it is a shame there is no option to power it down via the Axe-Fx. To turn it off I have to use my power conditioner, which of course then turns off everything else that's attached to it. Otherwise, I unplug th MIDI cable from the back of the MFC. I guess the MFC is designed to cope with that also....

A monostabile relay could do the work. !!!

Knut

paulmapp8306 said:
This has always bugged me. for 2 years Ive got fed up of my All Access not shutting down when I turn off the axe.

Bad design that IMO - who needs a controller on if the rack its controlling is off? Wouldnt be that hard to isolate the power for the controller when the unit is turned off.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. :lol:

Ah, this bugs me too!
I was sure that it was a setting that I hadn't figured out yet, but it seems that is not the case.
I can't see the reason why it shouldn't shut off when the Axe-Fx is shut off.
Now I have to pull cables out... sucks!

- jonah

It doesn't bug me at all. Since the Axe-FX is a "Computer", I always have it and the MFC Wart plugged into a surge protector... Just flip the switch on the surge protector to power up/down both. And it protects my $2700 investment!

The Axe-FX , like 99.99999% of all midi switched rackmounted gear that passes phantom power does just that, it 'passes' it, not switching it on/off or anything else.

It seems to me complaining about how it is done is fine, but that's not a Fractal issue. That's a midi phantom power issue.

If you are investing $1500+ and then more on top for a MFC... and can't/won't spring for a Furman to turn everything on/off... well, there you are.

No disrespect meant, but there are worse issues in the world.

assuming you have the Axe Racked, Why not do it like this

1.Velcro a 2 or 4 way distribution strip in the back of your rack case.

2. Make a short mains cable for the Axe (cheap and simple to do), then plug the axe into the strip with the new short cable - you don;t really want excess mains cable hanging around.

3. Plug your MFC power supply also into the strip and then into the Axe. Don't coil the excess cable tightly as it carries current, tidy it up in big loops, tape it to the top of the Axe unit

4. Plug the cable end of the strip into the outlet.

5. Stick a bit of foam into the back cover of your rack case then when you coil up the Mains cable for the 4 way strip into the back of the case at the end of the gig, it doesn't rattle around

Now you only have one thing to plug and un-plug.

Cheap as Chips and easy to implement.

I also have my Midi cable permanently connected to the back of the Axe (supported and fixed to the inside top of the case). Then at the end of the gig I Disconnect form my GCP , coil it up and put it in the back of the rack case.

At least that's what I have done anyway.
Simple cheap effective -----MARVELLOUS :)

Back
Top Bottom