Tuner should mute Out1 but not Out3 [SOLVED]

Hi,

I´m using:
  • In1 as Guitar-Input
  • Out1 as FOH-Output
  • In2 as InEar-Input
  • Out3 as InEar-Output
I also attached a Screenshot of my Live-Preset.

From time to time I need to add some Room-Reverb to my InEar-Signal when only dry Signals are delivered. Till now I use an extra Reverb-Unit in my Rack. Plan was to remove this Unit from the Rack an let the Axe FX III do the job.

Problem: When I tune the guitar, In1 or Out1 should be muted while tuning. In2 or Out3 (Out2 would be ok, too) should not be muted. Otherwise I can´t hear whats going on anymore. As far as I could see, is that not possible. Am I wrong or are there any workarounds?

See workaround on Post #8

keep on...
Sebastian

Attachments

• snip_SF-Rig.JPG
    snip_SF-Rig.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Many people use Output 3/4 to a dedicated power amp and speaker cab. In this use-case you want those outputs muted.

It is possible. Unselect the "mute' option from the tuner. In your Input 1 signal chain use a block (or add) to switch that block on and off and mute output 1 while you tune. You should be able to link the functions together with the FC.

It is possible. Unselect the "mute' option from the tuner. In your Input 1 signal chain use a block (or add) to switch that block on and off and mute output 1 while you tune. You should be able to link the functions together with the FC.
nice idea. Thanks skunc! Plan is to set up a Control Switch that a.) enables tuner and b.) pulls a Filter-Block or Out1 Volume to zero at same time.

I mapped a latching control-switch operation for CS1 to a FC12 switch.

CS1 MIDI should now send a CC#10 state. (see screenshot)

Axe FX Tuner is configured to turn on by CC#10 (SETUP -> MIDI/Remote -> Other ->Tuner = CC#10)

Something is still wrong. Tuner won´t come up. Seems the internal generated CC#10 doesn´t reach the tuner. Any ideas?

Attachments

• CS1.JPG
    CS1.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 4
nice idea. Thanks skunc! Plan is to set up a Control Switch that a.) enables tuner and b.) pulls a Filter-Block or Out1 Volume to zero at same time.

I mapped a latching control-switch operation for CS1 to a FC12 switch.

CS1 MIDI should now send a CC#10 state. (see screenshot)

Axe FX Tuner is configured to turn on by CC#10 (SETUP -> MIDI/Remote -> Other ->Tuner = CC#10)

Something is still wrong. Tuner won´t come up. Seems the internal generated CC#10 doesn´t reach the tuner. Any ideas?

Try running a MIDI cable from the MIDI out to the MIDI in of the Axe-Fx.

Try running a MIDI cable from the MIDI out to the MIDI in of the Axe-Fx.
Yes! This works. A strange solution if you ask me, but does the job! Thank you very much!

So here is the complete solution.

How to choose which IN(s) or OUT(s) of the Axe FX III are muted when tuner is engaged

Hardware used: AxeFX III, FC12, Midi-cable

Set tuner mute mode to "off"
1630514420389.png

Configure Control-Switch to send Midi ControlChange Command. In this case (CS1 with CC#10)
1630514538840.png

Add a latching function to a FC12 Footswitch to trigger Control-Switch CS1
1630514761368.png
(In this case one Foot-Switch controls Tap Tempo and Tuner)

I added a Filter block (FIL 4) in front of OUT1. Level of this is Filter is controlled by the CS1.
1630515116154.png
(direct level control of the IN or OUT is possible, too)

Configure Tuner to engage on MIDI CC#10 command
SETUP -> MIDI/Remote -> Other ->Tuner = CC#10

Connect MIDI-IN and MIDI-OUT Port of the AxeFX III with a midi-cable

That´s it!

Attachments

• 1630515009753.png
    1630515009753.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I’m glad I could help. It might make a nice wishlist item to have the option to have the internal MIDI commands sent to the internal MIDI receiver without the external cable.

Took that idea and reworked it to use an external pedal as I don't have a FC. Set the tuner without any muting and then went to MIDI/Remote > Other and selected "PEDAL 2" (That's where I plugged my external switch to the back of the Axe-FX III) to this:

Tuner on Heel Down
Output 1 Volume

That way I use my switch to engage the tuner and only muting Output 1, Outputs 2, 3 & 4 are still passing signal. Works like a charm without the need to put any Filter block per preset, Control Switches and MIDI CC, etc... Should work with any external switch plugged either directly to the Axe or the FC controllers. I suppose if you use an expression pedal to control Tuner on Heel Down it should work too...

Still haven't found a way for this to work without a switch and just by pressing the A encoder in the main screen, but it's a really nice workaround I must say. Thank you for the idea!!!

Back
Top Bottom