Wish Tuner range

I would love to be able to go to 425. I just picked this up yesterday and I have to tune that low for some Pantera gigs I do and I'm so disappointed I spent all this money and still have to figure out a way to tune to this on stage. This isn't a super hard thing to change in an update either. I can do it on my amplitube plugin on my computer, and my phones tuner can change easily.

okay, well then in that case, am I able to use one of the pitch blocks to transpose it down to 425?
but if I'm thinking this out right, could I just do a 1.05 ct offset at 450 and yield the same range result?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 12.30.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 12.30.13 AM.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 12.34.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-29 at 12.34.18 AM.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 3
but if I'm thinking this out right, could I just do a 1.05 ct offset at 450 and yield the same range result?
Yes, this would work but it illustrates the issue.

I always thought this aspect of the tuner wasn't thought out very well, and it hasn't changed in 16 years of Axe-FXes. The calibration range of 430-450 Hz leaves ~22-cent gaps in the pitch continuum that can't be made to read in-tune without also using offsets for all strings. Using offsets to go beyond 430 or 450 also creates minor issues with intelligent harmonizing where intervals can be not quite right, but 1 cent here probably won't cause anything noticeable. The greatest offset a tuning could possibly require with the current 430-450 range would be about ±11 cents.

Bump. This is important if you want to tune to anything more than 25 cents above or below 440hz. Pantera in particular uses 425 hz.

With a full 50 cents range then you could set the tuner to any possible pitch.

This is also hopefully something that is just set by expanding the range of the control since the algorithm shouldn't break down beyond 25 cents.

And I think the comment above about having to do it on stage is still valid, if you need to check or adjust your tuning live you need to bring another tuner because the axe for all its power can't do it.

So as a work around that’s worked pretty well, and might be just what I need. Turns out the pitch block will drop a semitone and you can get the tuning that way! I think that’s going to save me some good time this spring as I gear up for the next Pantera show I got. And now I can also keep my guitars in standard still!

What do you mean by drop a semitone? Do you mean actually drop by cents and partially detune that way? Are you planning to tune to standard then use the pitch block to get everything down 25 cents instead?

What do you mean by drop a semitone? Do you mean actually drop by cents and partially detune that way? Are you planning to tune to standard then use the pitch block to get everything down 25 cents instead?
Yeah, I’ve been using it like that for a week or so now while I figure out a Dimebag tone I like for this gig. Not sure if I’ll keep it for the gig as the fm9 doesn’t have 2 pitch blocks and I’ll need some octave.

Anyways yeah, virtual capo has a cents adjuster so I dropped it down .50 and I it’s good to go

Yeah Becoming does pidgeon hole the use for one pitch block a little. I'm actually using a Digitech Whammy Ricochet for that because I found it was simpler than using an expression and pitch block.

Yeah Becoming does pidgeon hole the use for one pitch block a little. I'm actually using a Digitech Whammy Ricochet for that because I found it was simpler than using an expression and pitch block.
+1

I use a digitech whammy pedal to downtune when I just want to do it quickly. I have covered the whole “trendkill”album recently and I have pitched down my guitar with the whammy in all the tracks. No one noticed it 😎

And to do it even better, just listen to the lowest note of the song, tune your low E strings and tune your guitar the old way without a tuner

+1

I use a digitech whammy pedal to downtune when I just want to do it quickly. I have covered the whole “trendkill”album recently and I have pitched down my guitar with the whammy in all the tracks. No one noticed it 😎

And to do it even better, just listen to the lowest note of the song, tune your low E strings and tune your guitar the old way without a tuner
That's harder to do consistently with a bassist on stage without playing the tuning song duet for the audience

Back
Top Bottom