Tuner is way off

I suppose we have come to take it for granted almost, but really, what other product besides fractal can you post an issue and have it responded to by the guy behind the company and product ?

You'd expect it for rock stars perhaps, so if lets say the Edge has an issue, then yeah you'd expect he'd get help, but here we are, basically nobodies, and yet Cliff still treats us like rock stars....

Pretty awesome

I think I found a big hint! I've been plugging in my guitar to an interface (Scralett 18i20) and communicating with Axe-Fx via SPDIF. When I plug straight into the front of the unit (and accordingly change the Main Input Source in the I/O menu), the tuner works correctly!

So what does this mean...? What's causing the aberrant behavior with the digital communication?

It means the user is in error even though he started the thread with "Tuner is way off... ". This is tradition btw..

Typical thread titles MY FUCKING AXEFX ISNT WORKING

Q. Whats your signal path, A. Im an expert and been playing professionally for over 95 years, i know its the axe not my god damn signal path
Q. Please tell us your setup, A. Guitar --> SuperDuperPedal --> line6-shit --> Toaster --> AxeFx --> OnyxShitanator --> CrappyInterface --> PC --> Ebay --> IPAD --> $2-Earbuds

Not taking a dig at OP, just saying

It means the user is in error even though he started the thread with "Tuner is way off... ". This is tradition btw..

Perhaps I should have been more perspicuous in asking my question. I meant "What does this imply about the cause of this strange (and interestingly specific) behavior?" But I'm guessing you knew that.

At any rate, it's all been sorted out, and I learned something along the way. That's a good day.

Typical thread titles MY FECKING AXEFX ISNT WORKING

Q. Whats your signal path, A. Im an expert and been playing professionally for over 95 years, i know its the axe not my GD signal path
Q. Please tell us your setup, A. Guitar --> SuperDuperPooperPedal --> line6-shizah --> Toaster --> AxeFx --> OnyxShizahnator --> CrappyInterface --> PC --> Ebay --> IPAD --> $2-Earbuds

Sheeeeeeetttt, call that bia Bojangles!

Hilurious mate. When I first started with the AFX, I quickly realized that routing my guitar through my easy bake oven FIRST threw off more than the tuning.

I digress, glad you figured out the issue OP. ;)

I stumbled upon this thread while trying to figure out if there was a proper procedure to calibrate and SAVE the calibration for the tuner on my Axe-fx Ultra.
I have to tune it down to 436.7 to get it to register a A440 tuning fork as being in tune.

Glad you found the problem. I find the tuner to be the best I have used but on the actual unit itself not as much in AXE EDIT.

I stumbled upon this thread while trying to figure out if there was a proper procedure to calibrate and SAVE the calibration for the tuner on my Axe-fx Ultra.
I have to tune it down to 436.7 to get it to register a A440 tuning fork as being in tune.
I just discovered that the A440 tuning fork I was using has a crack at the handle.
I do not know how long that crack has been there, it could have been a few months or more.

I bought a new A440 fork today.
I checked with my keyboard and the Axe-fx ultra. There is no longer any discrepancy between the fork and either tuner. They devices are accurate tuners.

I tried to repair the tuning fork by silver soldering the handle back on. It is solid now, but it is now about 20 "cents" sharp. Amazing how small changes to the structure can affect the pitch!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom