Tuner is way off

DrNick

Inspired
After some confusion wherein I kept being convinced that other people were tuned sharp, I eventually realized that I was quite flat, and it was the Axe-Fx tuner's fault!

I'm not sure what's going on. The calibration is set to 440Hz, "use offsets" is off (and all the offsets are set to 0 anyway). When my high E string is tuned correctly (as verified by a bunch of other sources), the Axe-Fx reads it as Gb1 minus about 30 or 40 cents.

What on earth is going on?

EDIT for more info: Axe-Fx II Mark II, FW 17.02. I just noticed it today, but it could have been this way for some time. I have decent relative pitch, but no absolute pitch sense.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I cannot help you, but it might help if you specified which firmware and axe fx you are using ..
and maybe also when you noticed it. It's probably an issue for the support .. but maybe someone has a solution
if you give some more info about your setup.

:)

Aha!?!

I think I found a big hint! I've been plugging in my guitar to an interface (Scralett 18i20) and communicating with Axe-Fx via SPDIF. When I plug straight into the front of the unit (and accordingly change the Main Input Source in the I/O menu), the tuner works correctly!

So what does this mean...? What's causing the aberrant behavior with the digital communication?

Check your Scarlett samplerate in MixControl. You probably have it running at 44.1 kHz. If so change it to 48k in Windows playback devices. (If you adjust in MixControl it will likely go back to 44.1.)

The Axe will sync and run at 44.1 but it causes unintended things with times, frequency response and pitch detection.

I think we blurted this out simultaneously. I don't understand the guts of it all, but this is is precisely it. When I set my interface to 48k is works fine. Unfortunately, my DAW is bullying the interface to 44.1, so I've got to work that out.

But at least I understand the root of the matter.

Thanks!

This is from the AxeFxII Wiki (ALWAYS refer first to the AxeFxII Wiki!):

• The tuner only detects signals at the front input and Input 1 left (rear).

Tuner - Axe-Fx II Wiki

That is the beginning and end of the story.

Despite your rather trite declaration, it seems to be neither in this case, since the tuner detected the SPDIF signal just fine (albeit at the wrong pitch) all along. Fixing the sample rate has fixed the problem entirely: the tuner detects the SPDIF signal and works correctly.

Wikis are quite useful, but should always be taken with a healthy degree of skepticism. At any rate, this entry ought to be updated.

Despite your rather trite declaration, it seems to be neither in this case, since the tuner detected the SPDIF signal just fine (albeit at the wrong pitch) all along. Fixing the sample rate has fixed the problem entirely: the tuner detects the SPDIF signal and works correctly.

Wikis are quite useful, but should always be taken with a healthy degree of skepticism. At any rate, this entry ought to be updated.

Hmmm, never knew that you could tune through S/PDIF. Learn something new everyday!

Apologies... and congratulations!

Thanks. And apologies if I was a touch salty. I've been beating my head against this for hours. Mid-project no less - and it seems that lots of things will have to be redone since Logic was hanging out at 44.1k all along. If nothing else, I've learned something useful today!

Thanks everyone!

I strongly advise against going into an interface and then into the Axe-Fx. Most audio interfaces are not matched well to the level and impedance of a guitar. You will get much better results going directly into the front of the Axe-Fx.

I strongly advise against going into an interface and then into the Axe-Fx. Most audio interfaces are not matched well to the level and impedance of a guitar. You will get much better results going directly into the front of the Axe-Fx.

I started doing it because I wanted to record a DI along with a wet track, and I'm using the Scarlett as an interface (for other reasons), so I can't just grab output 3 from the AxeFx (as far as I know...). I would very much welcome thoughts on this!

I started doing it because I wanted to record a DI along with a wet track, and I'm using the Scarlett as an interface (for other reasons), so I can't just grab output 3 from the AxeFx (as far as I know...). I would very much welcome thoughts on this!

You can route a DI track to Output 2 or to the AES/SPDIF output. To route to Output 2 set Output 2 Echo to Input 1. To route to AES/SPDIF set USB/DIGI Out Source to Input.

You didn't think we'd overlook something like that, did you?

You can route a DI track to Output 2 or to the AES/SPDIF output. To route to Output 2 set Output 2 Echo to Input 1. To route to AES/SPDIF set USB/DIGI Out Source to Input.

I'm slowly learning that there is nothing that you overlook... (except perhaps my questions about the change to the Brootalz in a couple places on this forum :))

I've got an amp and cab on OUT2, but I'll try routing the dry input to SPDIF.

Thanks kindly!

Ok, I've done as you suggest. I have a remaining question, though. To get the wet signal to the DAW, I had to connect the OUT1s to my interface (via some short XLRs I had lying around). What is the appropriate way to stage levels? I.e. OUT1 level vs. the levels on mic inputs on the interface?

Thanks again!

Ok, I've done as you suggest. I have a remaining question, though. To get the wet signal to the DAW, I had to connect the OUT1s to my interface (via some short XLRs I had lying around). What is the appropriate way to stage levels? I.e. OUT1 level vs. the levels on mic inputs on the interface?

Thanks again!

Start with the Output 1 Level knob at noon. It's not that critical.

Back
Top Bottom