Wish Tuner - Increase offset range to full +/- 50 cents

npx

Inspired
1. I would love an option for tuner offsets to be a full +/- 50 cents. (The current limit is only +/- 25 cents)*
2. Add the mini tuner to the top of the offsets page for simple calibration of the reference pitch

When using devices like a Hipshot Xtender for quick drop tuning, the offset required is often higher than 25 cents, which renders the Axe-Fx tuner unusable. I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 that I use instead, but I would love to not have to carry it around anymore.

* If there is concern of breaking currently programmed offsets upon update, might including offset options of NONE, 25 and 50 rather than just OFF/ON be a possible workaround?

When using devices like a Hipshot Xtender for quick drop tuning, the offset required is often higher than 25 cents, which renders the Axe-Fx tuner unusable. I have a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 that I use instead, but I would love to not have to carry it around anymore.
Can you describe how a larger offset is needed for that? I thought you basically tune in one position then adjust the Xtender so the alternate note is in tune. I'm not picturing how a larger offset range would help.

To get the E note on the Xtender in tune, you need to tune up but stop slightly flat of the target pitch. Then you flip the lever down and raise it back up once, which settles the string, but also raises its pitch again slightly further. This is where you need the offset to compensate. You tune the lower target note with the thumb screw on the device itself.

Onstage tuning is really easy with the appropriate offset.

I used to get by with an offset of around -18.00 cents with D’Addario 10-46 strings on a 25.5” scale guitar, in Eb standard tuning and it worked well. Each new E string of the exact same brand and gauge can be slightly different though, so varying the offset a little is sometimes needed after a string change. Between -15.00 and -23.00 was once the maximum offset range I encountered. Something in D'Addarrio's string composition or manufacturing must have changed around 2016 though, as I suddenly started constantly getting strings which the Ax-Fx tuner’s offset limit wasn't enough to compensate for. I PM'd Cliff about it way back then (Axe-FX II days) and he replied that it was possible to change but updating the offset limit would result in currently programmed offsets being broken. (-10 becoming -20 after the update etc.) He said "people get mad about things like that", so I left it at that and switched to a Turbo Tuner, which allows the full range of offsets.

Six years later I figured I'd politely wish for this again. :)

Bump. This is important if you want to tune to anything more than 25 cents above or below 440hz. Pantera in particular uses 425 hz.

With a full 50 cents range then you could set the tuner to any possible pitch.

This is also hopefully something that is just set by expanding the range of the control since the algorithm shouldn't break down beyond 25 cents

???

Anything more than 50 cents is the next semitone. If you're detuning a note by 73 cents you're playing the wrong note.
While I'm not going to argue with this, I would like to add why this ability would be useful for me, and maybe someone can chime in with a workaround if they have one better than what I'm doing now.
Take this offset-
EADGBe
Currently, I set the high e at 12.7 and then adjust the remaining strings as offsets from 25 cents. This isn't a common offset I'll be returning to, but there are many as part of a project I'm working on that exist around +/- 25, which is complicated with the current +/-25 limit (suppose you have one string -32 and one -22, I cannot center it around either semitone because it will be out of reach of the other).
I think changing the calibration frequency results in more math to recalculate offsets than just having a reference sheet and doing +/- that goes past the offset limit in your head, unless I don't properly understand the relationship between Hz and cents.

I'll acknowledge this is a fraction of my overall use time of my AxeFX and I'm very happy with it. Not a critical change but would just be QOL.

I think changing the calibration frequency results in more math to recalculate offsets than just having a reference sheet and doing +/- that goes past the offset limit in your head, unless I don't properly understand the relationship between Hz and cents.
All notes shift by the same number of cents whenever a reference note changes. So (assuming A440 for your listed offsets) if you remember something like 440 to 446.4 Hz is ~25.0002 cents, you can set the calibration freq. to 446.4 and subtract 25 cents from the offset values: 1.7, 1.9, 10, 9.6, 1.9, -12.3 cents. 433.7 Hz would be the nearest settable value to -25 cents from 440; the second calculator here can be used to determine others: https://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-centsratio.htm

Back
Top Bottom