Not a Bug Tuner / Custom Scales Frequency Off?

Tone Ranger

FW: 5.01
FM9 Edit v. 1.02.06
Blank Preset
I noticed custom scales was not working for me, then noticed the tuner frequencies being very low. Happening on both tuners, although the tuners work correctly. When I say frequency is low, I mean like 330Hz low, producing wrong notes and the scale based pitch blocks unusable.

PXL_20240202_033152176.jpgPXL_20240202_033204968.jpgPXL_20240202_033213269.jpg

Last edited:
That's weird. Although my FM9 is not powered up just now, I'd ask you to try to determine if there is something on the front panel, like Set-Up > Config > Tuner (where A (5th string) can be adjusted to 440 Hz.).

You'll likely not find this within FM9-Edit. The front panel is more likely where you'll find your answer...

Am heading to my FM9 to take a look for myself...hang on...

That's weird. Although my FM9 is not powered up just now, I'd ask you to try to determine if there is something on the front panel, like Set-Up > Config > Tuner (where A (5th string) can be adjusted to 440 Hz.).

You'll likely not find this within FM9-Edit. The front panel is more likely where you'll find your answer...

Am heading to my FM9 to take a look for myself...hang on...
The screen shots are of the tuner settings on the front panel.

v3NFhkQ.png

My educated guess is the calibration is within Tuner > Config. You'll need to navigate to Calibration (the up & down buttons) and adjust so that the pointer indicator is directly vertical (12 o'clock) with a blue band to the left extending towards 8 o'clock. Calibration will light up and you can see what's what. Not sure which scroll wheel to use; ah, the large scroll wheel will do it...

Last edited:
Here's something to chew on...when my instrument cable is unplugged, and my tuner is set to mute and is active, a D6 note (35.9 Hz) is displayed.

I know this is likely extraneous nonsense, but I'd need to ask if the OP's guitar is plugged in, or what separate conditions exist that we don't know yet?

Here's something to chew on...when my instrument cable is unplugged, and my tuner is set to mute and is active, a D6 note (35.9 Hz) is displayed.

I know this is likely extraneous nonsense, but I'd need to ask if the OP's guitar is plugged in, or what separate conditions exist that we don't know yet?
A5 is reading 110Hz as shown in the photo, causing pitch blocks to not work.

Last edited:
Yes, calibration knob is set to 440.0.
OK, try tuning your guitar. If the guitar tunes normally, you're good to go. If not, something else is happening. You'll need to summon @unix-guy, we're heading into territory above my pay grade.

It's also possible you'll need to post some screenshots of your pitch blocks so we can see where things might be amiss.
You had said your scales weren't working for you. Did you have some specially designed scales for use with certain blocks? If yes, could we also see some screenshots of the scales?

Last edited:
Yes the guitar tunes normally but the pitch blocks do NOT work.
Thanks. The error exists in either the pitch blocks or the scales. Could we see some screen shots of both of these, please?

(Trust me on this, my nickname back in college was G.E. It was short for "brings good things to light")

Here's several videos from G66 that might help with things. Describes Pitch and Virtual Capo.

You might try resetting your pitch blocks (shunting them) and then reinserting them from your library backups. It may be that something happened which caused a wide discrepancy from normal. Hopefully, reinserting the pitch blocks won't re-introduce the tuning error.

View these videos first, though. It'll give you some background as well as help you feel better once you get this straightened out.

I'm thinking OP could be confused about how the "Key" parameter relates to the chosen global scale when using Custom Shifter type. A preset or recording of "custom scales not working" might be useful here.

I'm thinking OP could be confused about how the "Key" parameter relates to the chosen global scale when using Custom Shifter type. A preset or recording of "custom scales not working" might be useful here.
Agreed. From what I've previously read, his pitch blocks aren't working because of the "errant tuning." Something tells me the OP has got his pitch set wrong, perhaps currently much more than is necessary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom