Tune up/down 1/2 step using AXEII effect block of any kind?

blackcom

Inspired
Ìm trying to tune my guitar up or down one 1/2 step using the AXE-FX, but are there any fx-block that can do this? I had a look at the "Pitch" block but it looks it can do only harmonizer and detune fx...

Sure you can. Check out the factory preset "Full step down" or something like that.

use fixed harmony
pitch source local
on page 2 set voice 1 shift to -1 (for down half step)
voice 1 level to 100%
voice 2 level to zero (so the sound isnt doubled)
pitch track on
track adjust to 2.0 or whatever feels better for you.

mix page
mix to 100%
level to 1.0

Any other parameters left at the default

how's the tracking? (correct term?) how does it sound when you are bending strings/sliding etc etc...artificial/natural harmonics and such...any audible anomalies?

use fixed harmony
pitch source local
on page 2 set voice 1 shift to -1 (for down half step)
voice 1 level to 100%
voice 2 level to zero (so the sound isnt doubled)
pitch track on
track adjust to 2.0 or whatever feels better for you.

mix page
mix to 100%
level to 1.0

Any other parameters left at the default

I am at present away from my FXII but working on a preset to do Def Leps Photograph,
I have just confirm my suspicion via the internet that the tuning is between 1/2 step down and standard,
am I right in assuming that I can use decimal point values in the "voice 1 shift" option to achieve strange tunings.
and this value isn't limited to min 1/2 steps ?

cheers
G \../

how's the tracking? (correct term?) how does it sound when you are bending strings/sliding etc etc...artificial/natural harmonics and such...any audible anomalies?

It tracks ok but sounds lifeless to my ears. In a pinch you can cop a different tuning without another guitar or tuning. I have used it but I don't like to use it. You lose attack and presence. I certainly wouldn't use it for clean lush chords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's in semitones/half-steps. i'm not sure there is an additional detune function, as generally you wouldn't want a harmony not in tune with the source pitch.

Personally I would rather bring another guitar the use a pitch shift for it. That goes for any pitch shifter I have tried. I've heard good results but I just dont like it when I am playing it. It just feels odd.

Personally I would rather bring another guitar the use a pitch shift for it. That goes for any pitch shifter I have tried. I've heard good results but I just dont like it when I am playing it. It just feels odd.

Especially when you are playing at volumes where you can hear the strings slightly. Its so jarring.

Yes there is also the fine tuning option, so you can jam with Highway to hell and many other inbetween-tuned songs.

Im using a JTV69 Variax for the alt tunings stuff and it works great! Of course, thats a 1k fix..., but still... :mrgreen

I was using it for a wile for EVH stuff and it did sound pretty good but then as an experiment I tuned down a 1/2 step and it was a lot better. I would agree with whats been posted, using it in the context with other musicians it will pass but on it's own it has it's limitations.

My last gig was all drop tuned, but my latest only has two songs down a half step so I've been using the pitch shifter. It's okay, but it adds a not so subtle "chorusing" that bugs me a little. Not enough to drag another guitar along to gigs, however. :)

I've tried this for about 5 mins. I've heard really great sounding demo videos of other guys using it, but my results were not usable. Maybe for power chords only, but not fully complex chording.

Back
Top Bottom