Tucana praise (and preset building tutorial)

I stuck it into one of my existing presets. Got good results with the Clean and Lead models.

The clean takes pedals really well!

Inspired this little idea:

This is using my custom blend IR made from the G12H30 and G12M25 cabs in the YA MTCH pack.

Sound really great. I tried to make a similar custom blend IR from this YA pack, but I don't like the results. Could you tell me, which IRs you used and how you blended them?

I’m really interested in revisiting all of the Carol Ann amps now that we have Dynacabs. I had trouble getting some of these models to work well with my go-to IRs, but they sound undeniably great in the right hands.

Sound really great. I tried to make a similar custom blend IR from this YA pack, but I don't like the results. Could you tell me, which IRs you used and how you blended them?
It's a mix of 2 mix IRs.

I have been using it a long time... I'll see if CabLab has a saved session.

Any tips for getting close? Emphasis on the “getting close” since I don’t have the same guitar, pickups, same room, etc… lol
Ha! Well, that's the rub isn't it? It's difficult because he's got delay, reverb, and probably some chorus in there and he's also switching guitars, etc, and the recording isn't all that great.

But just where the amp is concerned, I'm hearing low/moderate gain and then EQ; I would probably turn on Gain Enhancer. I think 90% is just the gain and EQ; you may want to use a low-cut filter. When trying to get there, make sure you're playing open strings. It's hard to tell, but I think he's using position 2 alot as well.

Listening at about the 8:30 mark it sounds almost ambient, so there's probably quite a lot of delay and reverb, but the basic amp tone doesn't sound too complex (just moderate gain and mid to upper mids on the EQ).

I'm sure lots of amps could get there, so if you get hung up, use whatever you're most comfortable dialing in. But since this is a Tucana thread, about the only thing it's not great at is the high gain metal stuff. BTW, I think a great alternative for this tone would be the Trainwreck; it's very capable as well.

Interesting thread.

I used to use the Tucana a LOT on my AX8, but never cared much for the FM3/FM9 model. The suggestion in this thread to use the H65 cabs really made a huge difference!

So, I made an experimental 3 scene (clean/crunch/lead) preset for my FM3 in FM3-Only mode using Tucana clean amp for all 3 scenes, and used a Drive 2 OCD in LP mode for lead scene. There is also a 3 dB output volume boost block controlled by FC7 button 3. I have yet to try it at band rehearsal, that will not be until early next week.

Here's the preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=10405

I am curious which IR you all are using the tucana? I just found the amp and wondered if there is an obvious fit?
Watch Cordy's video. You can jump in at about the 4:00 mark and it only takes about 1 min of your time to give you some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom