Tucana praise (and preset building tutorial)

I stuck it into one of my existing presets. Got good results with the Clean and Lead models.

The clean takes pedals really well!

Inspired this little idea:

This is using my custom blend IR made from the G12H30 and G12M25 cabs in the YA MTCH pack.

Last edited:
I stuck it into one of my existing presets. Got good results with the Clean and Lead models.

This is using my custom blend IR made from the G12H30 and G12M25 cabs in the YA MTCH pack.

What a great sounding piece! I really enjoyed that- thank you for sharing.

That IR choice and the reverb really pull me in on this preset. Tons of fun with a Les Paul-ish guitar.
This preset sounds great! Seriously, thank you for sharing- I agree, nice choice of IRs. Took it for a spin with my ASAT Special (only guitar I have access to atm), and it's a great meat and potatoes preset- I think I could play on that tone all night. Nice job. The Tucana is such a cool amp.

Nice playing and it sounds great!

Yes, it does take pedals really well. Thanks for sharing.

That IR choice and the reverb really pull me in on this preset. Tons of fun with a Les Paul-ish guitar.
That's cool that you took the time to build his preset out for folks. I had intentionally waited until I had time to follow along b/c I wanted to hopefully learn something.

Here are a couple of takeaways from my follow along with JC:

1. Don't fret so much over what cab/IR to use. JC (and I've seen this in other videos) goes straight to the manufacturer to see what they recommend. He did that for this preset and that immediately greatly limited his choices.

2. There are probably very few changes that are really needed from the stock block settings. Somewhere it's been posted that the default blocks are set up to be intentionally "user ready" for lack of a better term. Believe it.

Also, I'm thinking he genuinely personally likes this amp model. Here are a few other Tucana vids he's produced. That makes three FAS Tucana vids since he started using FAS and I'll go out on a limb and guess there are few amp models he's done the same for. These two videos are older and so I don't think he felt comfortable doing a walk through at that point as I recall he did make some comments on having to learn the FAS system.

BTW--if FAS does Gift of Tone this year, then let's get this guy on board!!!

Last edited:
Whoa, just tried the CA Tucana clean with the JP IIC+ Shred input boost. I think its my new lead sound.
Yes, it takes drives incredibly well. I've been messing around with a few different ones. I prefer the Tone of Kings for straight drive, but it'll do whatever.

If you like fuzz, try those too!

That's cool that you took the time to build his preset out for folks. I had intentionally waited until I had time to follow along b/c I wanted to hopefully learn something.

Here are a couple of takeaways from my follow along with JC:

1. Don't fret so much over what cab/IR to use. JC (and I've seen this in other videos) goes straight to the manufacturer to see what they recommend. He did that for this preset and that immediately greatly limited his choices.

2. There are probably very few changes that are really needed from the stock block settings. Somewhere it's been posted that the default blocks are set up to be intentionally "user ready" for lack of a better term. Believe it.

Also, I'm thinking he genuinely personally likes this amp model. Here are a few other Tucana vids he's produced. That makes three FAS Tucana vids since he started using FAS and I'll go out on a limb and guess there are few amp models he's done the same for. These two videos are older and so I don't think he felt comfortable doing a walk through at that point as I recall he did make some comments on having to learn the FAS system.

BTW--if FAS does Gift of Tone this year, then let's get this guy on board!!!

Thanks for providing this, @fcs101. I really thought it wise to not jump onto the bandwagon until I'd actually dialed in a CA tone I liked. And, thankfully, John Cordy's instructions were spot on and very close to what my ears liked.

However, IIRC, JC mentions use of a pair of 2x12 H65 IRs, and the cab tone of his video is built on that.

Not straying too far from what the doctor ordered, I checked out some of the Bludotone H65s (the 57A & 160A) and found that they sounded really nice with my Epi Sheraton. A slight EQ tweak will vastly improve your tone, as will some of the presence tweaks.

The CA builder, Alan, suggests to dial back your gain to about 10 o'clock (4.0?) and the master doesn't need anything above stock level. You may find it works for you, though sticking to JC's build description provided almost exactly what my ears liked with no significant tweaks needed.

There may be a slight EQ tweak when switching guitars, though my feeling is, the guitar's tone knob may be all that is required.

Last edited:
Nice! It DOES sound good in the mix. This is great.
Stones?
Thanks! And yeah, it's "Beast of Burden". It wasn't a good night for me so I don't really have much to share (threw my back out earlier in the day and I'm still recovering from being sick so my voice was toast) but I'm hoping to have more examples of my live presets soon. The Tucana is a great model for a a live lead sound, though. I haven't gotten into the clean channel much yet.

Thanks! And yeah, it's "Beast of Burden". It wasn't a good night for me so I don't really have much to share (threw my back out earlier in the day and I'm still recovering from being sick so my voice was toast) but I'm hoping to have more examples of my live presets soon. The Tucana is a great model for a a live lead sound, though. I haven't gotten into the clean channel much yet.
Yep, sounds great!

Thanks for that!
Super useful. It's nice to see a preset run-through where I get to hear the chords or simple lines compared. A lot of YT guys are "here's my lead patch" and then they run through tapping and sweeps.... and I'm like.... Oh, I'm never gonna do that when I cover The Cure... hahahaha.
Checked out your channel, turns out I had already seen some of your vids :)
I hear you about kitchen sink presets. I had a function recently, lots of classic rock and I had a nice Vox and we went to play some Cream and I was paging and paging over to find the other preset. It makes for a long awkward pause between songs :grimacing: LOL.

Thanks for that!
Super useful. It's nice to see a preset run-through where I get to hear the chords or simple lines compared. A lot of YT guys are "here's my lead patch" and then they run through tapping and sweeps.... and I'm like.... Oh, I'm never gonna do that when I cover The Cure... hahahaha.
Checked out your channel, turns out I had already seen some of your vids :)
I hear you about kitchen sink presets. I had a function recently, lots of classic rock and I had a nice Vox and we went to play some Cream and I was paging and paging over to find the other preset. It makes for a long awkward pause between songs :grimacing: LOL.
I'm glad you liked it!

I use my FM9 on lots of different types of gigs with different grouyps with no real rehearsal or prep so I have to be able to make things happen at the drop of a hat sometimes so I go for more generic presets that cover a lot of ground and I keep the first bank or so of my FM9 full of the stuff that I think I would need in a hurry. Gotta keep that dance floor moving!

Back
Top Bottom