Tubescreamer-But-Not Boosts for Marshall Style Amps.

H13

Inspired
When I was about 20 years old, I bought a Mesa Rectifier.

And I loved it. I still have it and even though it hasn't been played in about 2 years...I don't have the heart to sell it because I loved it so.

Then I noticed Devin Townsend using TS808s with his Rectifier. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I love Devy so I figured I'd give it a shot.

That sparked an almost unbreakable love affair with TS808s (and pedals in general). At this stage, I have had about 5 different 808s and I even built a BYOC 808 because I wanted a True Bypass 808. I use them as a boost (Drive 0, Tone around about half, level at around 3\4s). I love the bass rolloff how it makes chugging that extra bit punchy and the tiny extra bit of clipping up top makes things more exciting. I love how they feel to play as well and things don't quite feel the same to me if I'm not running through an 808.

Since getting an AFX, I've realised that I'm definitely more of British amp guy rather than a US amp guy. I love my mids around 500-700hz, I like a saggy bass response which makes things feel so delightfully human and organic and I like the big warm soupy leads that British Amps give you moreso than the screaming US sorta thing.

And I think the reason why I loved my 808 so much with my Recto is that Rectos have that US\Fender sorta Mid-Scoop. The 808 puts it right back in there as well as taming the bass and adding a tiny bit more clipping. I would argue that if you're running a Recto, you almost definitely want an 808.

Now when you consider that the mid boost for a TS808 is around the 700hz mark...yeah, it makes perfect sense why I love them so.

ANYWAYS.

The "problem" is that if you're running an amp that has a huge mid-range, adding a TS808 on top of that can sometimes be a bit much. I find that it can add a bit too much clipping because the midrange is already close to clipping (and wonderfully so) as is. So a TS808 is not necessarily the right pedal to be using with something like a Bogner.

But at the same time: As I said, I love the bass rolloff, the little bit of extra clipping up top and the characteristic\feel of the pedal. The British style amps that I'm running don't sound right WITH a TS808, but it doesn't sound like "me" without one either.

So what OD pedals, which are LIKE a TS808, but not as mid-pushed to use as a boost into a British style amp?

Apologies for the double post, however I feel like I can explain myself better.

I love the note attack of an 808. I like that whenever it's on and I go for a chug, there's a definite "CH" to the attack.I'm assuming that's coming from the OD moreso than a frequency response. That sort of immediate attack I can't get out of any of the amps I'm using.

So what OD can I use that doesn't have the big mid-push of an 808?

Try the 808 Mod. Or tweak the 808 by lowering the low-cut and raising the high-cut.

Try the SDD or FET Boost or Micro Amp... And also play with the High Cut, Low Cut, etc in the Drive.

You can kick the Drive up on these models as they are all boosts... The distortion level is pretty low.

Back
Top Bottom