Tube power amp beside the VHT / Fryette

webstersp

Inspired
At first I wanted to go with an SS power amp but after reading lots and lots of posts around here I am now pretty sure that I'll stay away from SS for now.
Everybody seems to like the Fryette 2502 but 1500$ is out of my budget.

Beside Fryette, are there any tubes power ap that are good and that won't color the sound too much?

The Axr Fx will have two utilities for me:

Live and at rehearsal where I'll be using it with my band and where I only need one good distorted and one good clean sound.
I'll be using an 4x12 guitar cab anyway so I'm not looking for FRFR or using lot's of different amps.
This where I'll be using a tube power amp and i need it to have enough power ( I'm usually goiong for high gain amps: Mesa, Bogner, Engl)

At home where I do lots of recording, this is where I'll be trying the IR's cab and lots of different sound and effects.

Any good stereo tube amp will work, it doesn't have to be one made specifically for guitar amplification, and probably better if it's not. You don't have to spend a lot of money, just shop around on Craigslist or ebay. I prefer the vented type with tubes on top, not as compact, but they don't require noisy coolng fans.

As far as Im aware, most tube amps are expensive but i can only go from UK prices. Here both the Mesa and Engl offerings a re MORE than the VHT. We dont get Carvin, which pretty much leaves Marshal which are cheaper but not much. There 3U, and TBH I dont like them as much.

There are 1U 20 Watt models about - but personally I dont think thats enough clean headroom for Axe use.

And again - personally -I wouldnt use the amps NOT built for guitar. In theory there will work just fine , in fact probably better, BUT, there not built to be moved a lot. There going to be fairly fragile if you gig/jam much. If its purely for home use then there fine.

My budget is around 800$ (US).
So the Fryette 2502 is out of my budget (didn't find any used so I don't know howthey cost)
Maybe a use VHT, same company as fryette but read somewhere that they are not too expensive use.
Use mesa 20/20 and 50/50 are in my price range but give a mesa sound and may color the sound too much.
I'm looking for a good preamp in my price range taht won't color my sound as much a s a mesa.

You should be able to get a used VHT 2:50:2 for around $1100 if you can stretch it.

I tried a bunch of options and the VHT was the best bang for the buck.
Carvin TS100 is in your budget.
It is one of the few amps I didn't try as they aren't easy to get in Europe.

Used Mesa 5050 is better than the 2020 which has no clean headroom at rehearsal/gig levels.

I'll keep looking for the VHT but they are pretty hard to find around here (CAnada!)

What about Carvin TS100 vs Mesa 50/50?

Peavey Classic Series 50/50 stereo tube amp. Should be able to find a used one and not at a ridiculous price either. Does the job well for me.

+1 on the Peavey classic 50/50 I used one for the first 6 months of Axe ownership and it sounded great. Another benefit with the Peavey is you can run it mono for killer clean head room. Beware as they do run warm and I would not recommend putting the Axe right on top of that amp as it will thermal the axe it pretty quick.

My guitarist use to have a peavey 50/50 with a jmp1. I was using a mesa 20/ 20 with my tech 21 PSA 1 at that time.
Let me say that the mesa 20/20 was really louder than the peavey classic 50/50. He even exchange it at the store because he taught
it was broken!

Back
Top Bottom