Trying to reamp with Axe-FX ULTRA but sound is soft and unclear?

Hey all, I'm pretty new to both the world of reamping and the Axe-Fx ULTRA so I'm hoping to get some solid advice here from this board ;)

I'm trying to reamp using the ULTRA in Logic via a Focusrite Saffire. I do hear sound in Logic but the reamp sound is so much softer then vs. playing direct with the same patch. I'm using the analog approach for reamping by the way:
  • ULTRA Output 1 Unbalanced Left -> Focusrite Saffire Line In;
  • Focusrite Saffire Output 3 -> ULTRA Input 1 Left / Mono;
  • Selected 'Analog rear' in the I/O menu.
When I try to compare the reamp sound with the direct sound (i.e.: ULTRA instr -> ULTRA Output 1 Unbalanced Left -> Focusrite Saffire Line in), the sound is so much fuller and has so much more definition.

Any ideas what's going wrong here? Wrong connections? Wrong cables perhaps?

Any advice is appreciated!

This could be any number of things?

a) It's best to use a DI Box (balanced DI out to DAW, unbalanced DI out to Axe, which saves unneeded A/D - D/A conversion), record one track of your dry guitar and one of the Axe.

b) To reamp, route that dry guitar track to the Axe's rear input set to rear, and record Axe output to DAW.

The special sauce is just some pre-emphasis/de-emphasis noise reduction and soft clipping as I understand it, and it expects guitar level or so.

The rear input is flat and it expects line level, so for reamping from a line level DAW interface the rear is likely the one you should use, paying extra attention regarding levels to not clip it.

That said, you could lower the output of your DAW and use the front as well, try it if you like and use the one that works best for you?

Wouldn't it be better to Route the Dry Guitar to the Front input since that has the special sauce?

I have done that, and I've noticed that if i use the front input to record my wet and dry tracks. If i go back and use the back input it just doesn't have that tone like the front one does. I'm sure if i fiddle more with it i could get it closer but to me it just sounds bad. I know of others who have similar experience with using the back input for reamp vs the front. To each is own.

I have done that, and I've noticed that if i use the front input to record my wet and dry tracks. If i go back and use the back input it just doesn't have that tone like the front one does. I'm sure if i fiddle more with it i could get it closer but to me it just sounds bad. I know of others who have similar experience with using the back input for reamp vs the front. To each is own.
If you're using the rear input, and you don't set the I/O mode to "Analog Rear," the tone will be off because you'll only get one side of the preemphasis/demphasis noise reduction. If you set the I/O mode according to which input you're using, the tone will be identical from front to rear.

No really according to the spec on the FA site (a hot line level signal could clip the front input)...

Front Panel Analog Input:
(1) x ¼" phone jack, unbalanced • 1MΩ impedance • Max. Input Level:+12 dBu (conditioned for guitar use)

Rear Panel Analog Inputs, Input 1
(2) x ¼" phone jack, unbalanced • 1MΩ impedance • Max. Input Level:+18 dBu

Rear Panel Analog Inputs, Input 2

Both input are flat and will accept line or instrument level.

I have not done re-amping with the Ultra yet but when I did with other equipment, I spent quite some time balancing the output volume from the computer interface in combination with the input level of the device to get it close to the original signal level. I suspect the same is required in this case as well. The tone is most likely to change at least a bit regardless.

Right on the money Dinkledorf! (awesome nick lol ) My experiences are the same...
It is critical to get a loud as possible signal on the dry re-amp track, obviously without clipping!
It will NOT ever sound the same as the original Axe FX signal. In my setup, the tone is very close to the original on the re-amp signal but with just a softer gain structure...

Check my post, might help
hxxp://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-zone/38318-re-amping-tip.html

Last edited:
No really according to the spec on the FA site (a hot line level signal could clip the front input)...

Front Panel Analog Input:
(1) x ¼" phone jack, unbalanced • 1MΩ impedance • Max. Input Level:+12 dBu (conditioned for guitar use)

Rear Panel Analog Inputs, Input 1

Rear Panel Analog Inputs, Input 2
Take a closer look at those specs. The front input will handle a +12 dBu signal. That's way hot for a line-level signal. :)

Not really as that's only 8db of head room over the nominal +4, and anyone playing hard can easily exceed 8db transients on guitar. High end gear typically gives 14db - 18db headroom, though as you say it can work if the levels are watched.

Also, there's some mild high-mid rolloff in the pre/post emphasis routine that can be heard on some machines with some patches depending on a number of variables, and that's eliminated via the rear input set to rear as well.

On my Ultra I certainly prefer reamping from +4 Pro Tools TDM via the rear input set to rear, and I also prefer the rear when recording bright clean/barely breaking up electrics and acoustics (with an external instrument preamp). Live and for distorted sounds I'm happy with the front input set to front.

Take a closer look at those specs. The front input will handle a +12 dBu signal. That's way hot for a line-level signal. :)

You make a good point about large transients. I don't hear the high-mid rolloff.

Back
Top Bottom