Try This to Light a Fire Under Your Compressor!

cemusic

Inspired
I was beginning to think that the Axe II compressors were just too 'tame' to give me what I'm looking for in order to re-create a couple of sounds I've had with other gear, including the Ultra. To be fair, the Axe II compressors compress just fine--I think what I'm asking for is more like steam rolling!

Edit: OK I am editing this to say that this applies more to the pedal compressors because it has been repeatedly pointed out that you get the same basic result by lowering Threshold way down in the Studio Comp. I like the way the pedal comps are set up, and never was able to get the same sound and feel with the Studio Comp. So, use the Studio Comp by all means if you like, and experiment with the extra parameters 'till it sounds good. Or...

Insert a Null filter block pre Pedal compressor and increase the Level +5 to +20 db.

+5 adds a nice kick; +20 wakes a snarling beast (a bit much IMHO)!

I like Pedal Comp 1, but this works on all. I left all the Comp settings maxed out (Sustain, fast Attack, Release). The other features can be used to taste now that I don't have to worry about getting the most possible squash effect out of every parameter. I use this into an almost clean to mid-breakup Fender type amp so it sounds clean-ish, but it feels almost like playing a hi gain amp and tons of sustain.

I have seen some other comments n the past about the compressors being not quite enough or whatever--people trying things like 2 comp blocks in a row. I don't know if this fixes anyone else's problem, but it's the sh*t over here!

Also, I use Filter 4, because I don't use that anywhere else, that way I can assign the same Bypass CC# as the Compressor, so they both bypass and activate together. If the Sustain setting is high, the Comp block will knock down the extra level from the Filter block and you barely have to adjust the Comp Output to keep the overall level the same. However, if you bypass the Comp block and leave the Filter block engaged, your overall level will increase and it will mess up the gain staging in the preset.

If this works for others, I wonder if an Input Level/Boost/whatever control could be added to the Comp block?

Last edited:
Lowering compressor threshold does the same thing.

Yes, it's close. Do you know what the rest of the settings should be on the Studio Comp (Knee, Detect, etc.) to get it to respond like Pedals 1 & 2? I like the way they sound but never could dial in the response I wanted on the Studio comp. Thus my quick and dirty fix.

Back
Top Bottom