Trouble with Amp/Cab

WyattPost

I've been using frfr with good results so far, but now I'm trying to run my Axe fx 2 into my Fender Mustang 3 combo amp.
I'm going through the effects return with the fx loop position set to pedal so I'm completely bypassing any preamp modeling from the Mustang.
On the Axe-fx I have power amp modeling set to ON (since the Mustang is solid state and I'm assuming it's decently neutral) and cab modeling off and can't even get a decent tone.

The cleans are really boxy, and any type of mid gain to high gain gets really harsh. I have tried with power amp modeling off and it opens up the cleans a little bit but any gain still sounds pretty bad.

Just wondering if any of you guys might have any ideas of what I may be forgetting or any tips. Or even suggestions on a cab that can do cleans to higher-gain decently.

I would think you would want the fx loop position to "line", if that's the other option. "Pedal" implies instrument level and the Axe-Fx will easily overdrive an instrument level input.

Thanks for the reply! The two options are "Normal" and "Looper Pedal". The reason I have it set to "Looper Pedal" is because it is supposed to just be using the power amp of the Mustang. The only other option makes it so whatever is being run through the effects return is being affected by the modeling. It's definitely possible that there could be some clipping happening. The sound is just pretty sterile and really harsh sound on any type of distortion/gain around like 8khz which I can dial down and it helps the sound. I will continue to try some different things.

if it's in a loop return then it shouldn't be affected by the modeling no matter what....that's the point of the loop is that it's post-preamp.

In my opinion the mustang amp won't be neutral. I believe it has a Celestion gt12-100 which is a guitar speaker. You may get better results turning cab sims off on the axe when running into the mustang.

if it's in a loop return then it shouldn't be affected by the modeling no matter what....that's the point of the loop is that it's post-preamp.
That's what you would think haha but the default setting was to run it through the pre-amp. They released a firmware update later on so you could change that.

In my opinion the mustang amp won't be neutral. I believe it has a Celestion gt12-100 which is a guitar speaker. You may get better results turning cab sims off on the axe when running into the mustang.
Sorry, I meant the power amp should be neutral,compared to a tube power amp. And I am running the cab sims off.

Back
Top Bottom