Trivia Game Clips: Can you tell an ENERGYBALL from an ENGL?

Which clip is the real ENGL?

• Total voters

RiF

Inspired
I recorded my ENGL E620 tube preamp into a Peavey Classic Series 50/50 tube poweramp using a Palmer PDI-03 speaker simulator and some Redwirez IRs applied in my DAW. Then I tried to match that sound as close as possible with my Axe-Fx. To make both more comparable, I used the same IRs for the Axe-Fx recording, also applied in my DAW and not in the Axe-Fx using Mellowmuse IR1A, because I did not want to compare the cabinet simulation but the amp sound. So all I used in the Axe-Fx is a single AMP block, nothing more.

I know that my ENGL/Peavey-setup is not a Powerball but most Engl amps have the signature Engl voicing and so does the E620. Aad that's all I have...

So... I made 4 clips where "Mix" is a full mix with guitars, bass and drums and "Guitars" are the double-tracked guitars alone. No processing on the guitar at all, only a 1dB GR limiter on the master, that's it.
- Mix A
- Mix B
- Guitars A
- Guitars B
So today's trivia question is:
Which one is the real tube amp setup (Engl/Peavey)? A or B?

EDIT 2010-05-08: http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151377#p151377The results can be found in this post.

Re: Trivia Game Clips: Can you tell an ENERGYBALL from an EN

Not sure which one is a real ENGL since I have never had one but;

I LIKED Mix B and Guitar B the best.

Mix B is more "in your face" and "lively" (for lack of a better qualification)

I absolutely love these A/B posts.

I think the B clips have more lower frequencies present, and to me sound better/fuller. However, I have no idea which is the tube amp. I think you could EQ the clips to sound alike even more.

I hope they are both Axe Fx. :D

I had an ENGL Thunder and sold it. I vote A only because it seems to have more of that ENGL treble bite. They both sound really good. B is a little flatter sounding to my ears. I would be stumped as to which was the amp hearing either one live. Nice rif.

I didn't vote cuz I could not hear that one was more "tubey" than the other or that one was more "digital" than the other (no use skewing the results with a guesss). They both sound awsome to me with clip B sounding darker.

What's amazing to me is that such a difficult Trivia question is even possible.

Congrats to FAS.

(I'm going to send this Trivia question to my tube snob brother whom I love to irritate with AxeFx tone examples :p :p :p :p )

haven't a clue which is the real, but i think i'll go with preferring B
in any case, nice comparison!

I voted A just to see. :D But like I said earlier I just prefer the B.

Thanx for participating and listening to the clips. I really need some fresh set of ears to get both clips to sound even closer, so I really appreciate your input. At the point of posting the clips, I had a hard time telling any difference.

But it's interesting to see that people tend to associate a little less highs (= "warmth") and a little more bass (="fatness") with tube amps... :)
EDIT: This is not a hint... it's meant to confuse you... or not?

Ventanaman said:
I hope they are both Axe Fx. :D
No, one is the Engl/Peavey all-tube-setup and one is the Axe-Fx, I promise! I did not record 2xTubeamp or 2xAxe-Fx or 2xPOD :twisted: to fool you.

Is this a reamping, or did you record the clips twice ?

IMHO, there is a clear difference between clips A and B, in the opening chords panned left, but it is very difficult to know exactly what's causing it.
Clip A sounds more limited in its bandwidth.
Clip B sounds more open, with more bass, second and third strings more audible. That's the one I prefer, and I'd venture to say it's the AxeFx, because I see more causes for signal degradation in the analog rig.

Other possible causes, excluding the different gear used :
- Clips played ever so slightly different
- Clip B a tiny bit louder than clip A
- A bit more bass in the tone settings of clip B

Apart from these opening chords, it's really hard to hear a difference, especially in the mix.

To me this is splitting hairs and if it's that close I would say the Axe has done it's job very convincingly. But I will go out on a limb and say the Clip A is the tube B is the Axe.

David dP said:
Is this a reamping, or did you record the clips twice ?
I did record twice, just because I don't have the gear to reamp correctly. This does not make a comparison easier, I know. But this is not meant as a totally scientific test. Hopefully I did not play that much different in the takes...
David dP said:
Other possible causes, excluding the different gear used :
- Clips played ever so slightly different
Yes, probably. My fault.
David dP said:
- Clip B a tiny bit louder than clip A
I tried to match the levels using normalizing, rms-meters, level-meters and ears as best as I could.
David dP said:
- A bit more bass in the tone settings of clip B
Yes, I noticed that and had been too lazy to match those because I did not want to spend hours tweaking... But it doesn't really help to tell a tube-amp from the Axe-Fx, doesn't it :) ?

No idea- like others, i've never played one.
I prefer "B".

Interesting how everybody prefers B, but voted that A is the real ENGL. I think A is the AxeFX, but they're EXTREMELY close... I *think* I recognize how focused the distortion is on the powerball sim.

I just noticed that I forgot to add a "I don't know" Option, but I am Not sure if All the votes that have been made already get trashed if I add it?

I think mix "A" sounds better overall, the "B" guitar has a little too much murky low end while i think the A guitars may have a little too much bite in the top end they seem to add more to the overall mix. I also think the axe-fx is B

Back
Top Bottom