Trivia Game Clips: Can you tell an ENERGYBALL from an ENGL?

Which clip is the real ENGL?

• Total voters
Re: Trivia Game Clips: Can you tell an ENERGYBALL from an EN

GuitarDojo said:
Not sure which one is a real ENGL since I have never had one but;

I LIKED Mix B and Guitar B the best.

Ditto, I like B better. I used to have an ENGL 580 preamp but I have no idea which is which here.

I think that the Axe Fx is actually A. I think i actually prefer the sound of A as well. B seems a tad bit muddy.

I could very well be wrong though. Just my guess. ;)

I think A is more muffled and B is more open. I prefer B. But I have no idea which is which.

I prefer B, but which is which is at this stage of the Axe's sims almost impossible to distinguish and therefor I don't vote :lol:

B sounds the best to me. and i hope its the AXE !!!!

Both sound great - Guitar B sounds more raw, and I think that is definitely the amp. It has a little more honk in the mids, and the low end isn't as controlled. A is more refined which to me sounds like the Axe. I think like A better.

I voted A, but I like B a touch better
Cool clip and comparison!

OK, here's the answer to the riddle:

A is the Axe-Fx (16 votes that this is the Engl)
B is the Engl/Peavey (12 votes that this is the Engl)

As stated earlier, one of the interesting parts is, that most people prefered B but voted A.
IMHO, the differences are quite small and can be made even smaller by raising the Bass or Depth and lowering the Treble, Presence or HF Response a notch on the less-bass/more-high sounding Axe-Fx clip which has mainly been my fault, because I stopped EQing at some point where my ears had been worn out.

Thanx to all of you for participating.

I gotta say, that was a hard choice. I do like A (AXFX) better but they both sound great. Both sounded very organic. I am Impressed that the AXFX can get so similar to so many amps. I noticed that it had picked up every nuance of your picking attack even more so than the ENGL/PEAVEY setup, you dont see (hear) that very often in digital amplification/sims. See this is why I bought the AXE-FX ULTRA, I can not wait till it arrives next week.

Thanks for the fun game :D

Not sure if this is all psychological or not, But...

I couldn't tell the difference in the 2 recordings with regards as to which is which when I first listened before voting. I did hear a slight difference in openness but attributed it to the recording process since re-amping was not used. With that said; now that we know that B is the Powerball, going back for another listen I can hear the subtle difference in the "tube" fullness and the Axe-fx processing. "B" is a little more forward in the mix as it stands out a bit more, but "A" is actually a cleaner recording and allows for the song to be heard and not just the guitar.

However, this was a great post! I hope you or someone else will do more of these in the future! And Kudos to the axe-fx and all that it is. I beg someone to do this kind of comparison with Line 6, boss, or any of the other "modelers"!

Thanx for all your comments!
I am thinking about doing the same thing with my JCM800 and/or 30th Anniversary (it has a JTM-wannabe-channel), but I am currently very busy with my new Plexi 2-based patch just playing ;-).

RiF said:
Thanx for all your comments!
I am thinking about doing the same thing with my JCM800 and/or 30th Anniversary (it has a JTM-wannabe-channel), but I am currently very busy with my new Plexi 2-based patch just playing ;-).

Please do :)

OMFG I KNEW IT :D !!!! To me what gave it away was that the single note stuff on B wasn't quite so 'stop start' as A.

IMO, at this point, you simply cannot call one or the other truly inferior, as you can easily arrive at clip B (assuming you liked that better) with a tad more tweaking.

With the updated presence modeling now playing in, I would be very interested indeed to hear a new version of this (perhaps with that JCM? ;) )

Wow! Those sound really close. I couldn't tell and didn't vote. I'll bet that you could adjust the tone controls in the amp block or EQ the AXE FX patch to get it pretty much exact.

Back
Top Bottom