triode hardness/MIMMIC

Fractal actually put back up the legacy version on their website to download.

Axe-edit V.1.0.317

Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Edit Software Editor for the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Guitar Processor

BTW, I found out a trick to having both versions of the AxeEdit on your computer. If you're running a mac, simply drop the currently installed axe edit icon in the applications folder into a new folder you create (this prevents it from installing over the one already there), and then install the other software version. Then you can open whichever one you want. depending on which icon you double click. Makes it easier to switch Firmwares from 7.xx to 10.xx and back.

Hi Gamedojo,

What version of AE are you using with FW7 and is it still available via download?

Thanks,
D

Axe-edit V.1.0.317

Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Edit Software Editor for the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Guitar Processor

BTW, I found out a trick to having both versions of the AxeEdit on your computer. If you're running a mac, simply drop the currently installed axe edit icon in the applications folder into a new folder you create (this prevents it from installing over the one already there), and then install the other software version. Then you can open whichever one you want. depending on which icon you double click. Makes it easier to switch Firmwares from 7.xx to 10.xx and back.

yeah I have 3 installed

one for ultra
one for II pre 10
and one for 10+ but I kinda prefer to use fractal bot

I rename the shortcuts and install in a new folder

I think it's funny how all the versions leading up to this, a lot of people would say "I dont have to tweak advanced stuff, just set the model and twist a few knobs and done." now it seems like it's the opposite now IMHO, I find myself living in advanced menu tweaking all kinds of stuff. I think amps can be improved upon while maintaining their character. But I also understand what Cliff was going for, It's just now it's a little harder for some to get the sounds (or not at all) that they were used to getting easily.

I'm actually relieved to hear the IR's were changed as thats what I think was 90% of my problem post FW10

no matter which user IR I went to (4X12) they seemed very flat and no matter what I did with the basic EQ controls couldn't seem to get the clarity like I did in previous FW's (I did use a majority of 3rd party IR's for most part)

IRL on just about any amp I have played I haven't had a problem beyond using basic eq's getting a cutting sound so it just seems wrong to be going into para eq's and advanced stuff to do this

Axe-edit V.1.0.317

Are you using Fractal Bot to re-install 7?

Thanks,
D

I find it kinda funny that people suddenly start asking for the Axe Fx to sound more like a modeler again.

Lately I have been sitting in with cover band. A very tight and accurate cover band with seasoned musicians.
I need my axfx to sound like (copy) the recorded versions of classic rock tunes. I had it pretty much nailed with V8.xx. (actually it was mostly there when I got the unit from Fractal).

And V10 is awsome with all that it offers....how can I have the best of both worlds...

Honestly knowing how cliff works I do not think I will have an issue for long. Fractal is just really fricken impressive when it comes to customer needs.

Yes, ....but to keep master on higher settings for some amps ....dial out the bass (bottom) on the preamp (and or drives) and (if desired) add them back on the advance parameters (after the preamp).

This adds back desired lows but drastically eliminates or reduces flub!

Precisely. This was the key on the Hiwatt... That and cranking the MV Trim a bit. :devilish:

I've tried turning all that stuff off.. now it seems that Cliff has modded some of the old IR's as well, not just the new ones..

If I needed to.....what I would do is..........

Reload the old firmware in question (v.9, v8, v7, v6 or whatever)....save the desired irs.....reload v.10.xx ......and import the irs in question and AB.

Of course while keeping all "that stuff off"

....come to think of it....I'd try them off and on!

btw....

I kept all the FW versions backed up since my Ultra days.

I Have FW 5.xx - FW11.00 on the Ultra and from FW. 6.xx to present on the AxeII

Last edited:
Are you using Fractal Bot to re-install 7?

Thanks,
D

Yes..

Wish me luck. I'm running a hybrid setup at Friday's wedding gig. I'm using Firmware 10.0 but set to 7.xx in the global parameters and tweaked the patches to be as close as 7 as possible. Might be best of both worlds, but I can already sense (playing with itunes) that I think I'm still loosing that cut in the mix. we shall see!

I am glad to see this thread, makes me know I am not crazy. I can make good sounds with v10, that seem ok by myself, but seems like they get lost in the mix with a band. I just can't pin point what it is missing from prior versions that made it cut through better. It may be in the IR's as Cliff mentioned, I may have to try some I have around to see. I never had this problem with both Ultra's I had and versions before 10.

You're not crazy. FW10 is an odd duck. The actual pure tone of some of the amp nuances are just amazing. I was playing the super verb yesterday and I was seriously tripped out how it was just like playing my real '67 super.... but that tone in FW10 is at the heart of this divide. Its not like we are just brushing off the firmware as a bad sounding update. Thats simply not true. There is just something that we can't pinpoint that is making it harder for guys, like me, who use the Axefx as a live tool, to get the same satisfaction and vibe on stage. ALMOST (but don't take this too far) like the AxeFx has gotten the exact sonic frequency of the real amps, but lost the magical punch and cut of a real amp. Kinda weird thought really.

IRs may help some..but I don't think anyone should focus too much on them. I've never used stock cabs in my live presets and the difference is still very much there.

FWIW, I want to make i very clear that I know real amps. I've built them, and have just as much experience with them live and in studio as most anyone on this forum. my opinion on this firmware does not come from a vacuum without any real world experience using real amps and knowing how to tame them. Its one of the reasons I was able to jump in and make patches folks seem to dig on my webpage. This firmware update may still be found to have a flaw in the coding that we are unaware of, and I'm curious to see what might happen in the next coming year. The best news, though, is that we are free to use whatever firmware we wish. And even though we all split hairs, the unit still sounds phenomenal, and I hope, if Cliff even reads this, that he doesn't read into these comments as any sort of complaint. More of an observation and a collective discussion that may or may not result in a second look into the firmware and what its doing.

I am glad to see this thread, makes me know I am not crazy. I can make good sounds with v10, that seem ok by myself, but seems like they get lost in the mix with a band. I just can't pin point what it is missing from prior versions that made it cut through better. It may be in the IR's as Cliff mentioned, I may have to try some I have around to see. I never had this problem with both Ultra's I had and versions before 10.

Last edited:
Hey, I went and tried some of the Redwirez ir's I had(AxeII versions) and I believe Cliff is right. Stock ir's are kind of low endy , boxy to me. So I mixed the 4x12 Basketweave AX mix on one cab and the Redwirez Marshall 1960a-G12m-SM57-Cap-3in on the other and panned then both to the middle and man there's that snap, sizzle cut I have been missing. I mean it's a big difference, I get the thickness of v10 and the cut of other versions. At least through my Xitones. May have to record to see what it sounds like in mix.

Hey, I went and tried some of the Redwirez ir's I had(AxeII versions) and I believe Cliff is right. Stock ir's are kind of low endy , boxy. So I mixed the 4x12 Basketweave AX mix on one cab and the Redwirez Marshall 1960a-G12m-SM57-Cap-3in and panned then both to the middle and man there's that snap, sizzle cut I have been missing. I mean it's a big difference.

Well, keep in mind, the "mix" cabs...are just that. Mixes. They use multiple mics and placements and then someone out there decided on the best sound in their opinion. You might want to buy that producers pack so you can get individual non-mixed IR captures. The Redwirez cab is straight forward. one mic one location..etc. Not to mention the SM57 which is where you are getting your sizzle. To make my point, try adding an SM57 to your AX mix cab in the parameters without the redwirez. you might find it suddenly has more sizzle. I've been using the SM57 mic Basketweave from RW on almost every live patch since the beginning. Those SM57s are important.

I believe you. With my Ultra's I always mixed my own ir's with the redwirez, might have to start back cause this rocks.

Back
Top Bottom