triode hardness/MIMMIC

Mark's Tone

Power User
I appreciate the bennifits of these advances.

But, how do I turn MIMMIC and triode hardness off, and can I assign them as off in individual presets?

I have been performing in an old fart classic rock cover band, and duplicating the sound of the original albums through the FOH is verry important to me. ( i was able to achive this effortlessly with V8.xx].

So far, after exaustive efforts all I have is the V10.5 sound of my old marshal un-miked (which is perfectly fine for some situations).

We have another gig on Friday and suspect I may be in a bit of a bugger. Perhaps I should roll back :(

Last edited:
The MIMIC ON/OFF switch is located on the last page of the amp block, right down at the bottom. triode hardness is a few lines up from there. I assume that you know that you can change the Firmware "thingy" in the GLOBAL block?

And yes, all your amp settings, including MIMIC, and bypass states are subject to your presets and are not global.

I think those options are in the advanced parameters in the amp block

Mimic you can turn on or off

and triode hardness you can turn to zero

I hope I'm right about this

I am hoping to;

1] Be able to use again the proccesed sound of previouse firmwares.
Reproducing classic rock tones was effortless and mostly completed by the Fractal Factory.

2] Be able to turn MIMMIC and TH off in specific presets.

3] Still be able to use edit beta.

What you are struggling with has been an issue for me as well for the past 3-4 weeks. FW10 has really made the axefx2 become exactly like the actual amps. Amazing really....but, at a serious cost to what I personally believe made the Axe Fx actually better then real amps. We've seemed to have lost that "recording studio" polish that made for punchy clear, fit-in-the-mix amp tones that came easily prior to FW10. I'm not trying to insult FW10, but in the endless quest to make the AxeFX2 sound exactly like an amp sitting in the room with you, I think Cliff might have lost something that was magical about using a direct digital device.

Currently, I rewind all the way back to FW7.0 for all my gigs. On the days between gigs, I've been loading up FW10 and experimenting. So far a few things have helped, like increasing the bias, pick attack, and turning off MIMIC. but there is still a distance and a softness to FW10 that can't be quite dialed away.

Your best bet is to rewind back to the FW you are comfortable with. The global firmware modeling type does change the sound a bit, but what you are not changing is the physical amp models that Cliff has updated. He changed all the models to fit the FW10 and how the amps actually adjust with their controls.

And, in the end, one thing I'm coming to terms with, is that it MIGHT be seriously just fine sticking with the firmware you like forever. Even though we seem to like the idea of NEW AND IMPROVED firmware, the reality is that its just a fix for what we used to do when looking at the field next to us wondering if the Grass is greener...

Last edited:
Going to have to roll back. Looks like I will be getting to know my front pannel allthe better. Better clean my thick glasses.

I wish I would have stored my original presets. Can't say I wasn't warned.

All the hype of trying others cool presets with editor beta nudged me into the change.

Can I roll back using the Bott?

Is there a factory preset file to load after the update like with V10?

wish I wan't old and blind

You might want to roll back to FW7.0 if you'd still like to use axe-edit. I love FW7.0

Too bad about the lost presets. I always dump every preset before any change. They are too valuable to me at this point! :)

Good luck!

Going to have to roll back. Looks like I will be getting to know my front pannel allthe better. Better clean my thick glasses.

I wish I would have stored my original presets. Can't say I wasn't warned.

All the hype of trying others cool presets with editor beta nudged me into the change.

Perhaps I can get savy enough to switch firmwares with ease. I really think V10 is cool.

I spent a lot of time in my V8 presets, I think I can dial them back in easy enough.

Perhaps this time around they will be even better.

IMO, much of what people are hearing as different are the new cabinet models. Many of the factory cab IRs were remixed for V10. I've been contemplating asking Mike at Redwirez if I can issue the old mixes as user downloads.

You should absolutely do this. Not because the new cab IRs arent good, but it may fix what people are hearing as "wrong". I didnt realize that the older IRs got reworked with the new firmware either. It explains why certain cab IR's that I thought I knew the sound of were so different with the new amp sims. I thought it was all do to the the changes made to the amp modelling. Sticky that shizzle!

IMO, much of what people are hearing as different are the new cabinet models. Many of the factory cab IRs were remixed for V10. I've been contemplating asking Mike at Redwirez if I can issue the old mixes as user downloads.
I agree and I even tried my Redwirz IRs - the basket weave greenbacks per Tyler's suggestion and these still had that Mesa compressed thing going with all the Fw10 Marshall amps. Tyler I love Fw9.02, what do you like about fw7 so much?

I thought things sounded different and for me I really like the changes. I was a strict Ownhammer user for IRs, but now I find myself playing with the factory ones more and more!

I'm really curious as to what the difference people are perceiving as I find v10 freakin' amazing ....new irs and all! Not that there is no legitimacy to the claims just would like to hone what others are preferencing.

Also, couldn't the previous FW irs be imported to the v10 FW (to A/B)? Process of elimination thing....

I don't use cabs or IRs at all & I noticed a big difference in v10. Some for the better, others not so much. The Double verb for me has become unusable for the most part. It sounds so overly bright & tinny & I just can't seem to make it sound good anymore. It's also the amp I am most familiar with. Fortunately, there are so many other options I have moved on & found many other amps I can get a great clean sound with. Not meant as a complaint, more of an observation that there is more going on than just the cab IRs. I love the Axe & appreciate the constant developments!

Back
Top Bottom