Trilian Bass vs buying a bass guitar

Evz

Inspired
Hello there!

I was wondering what popular opinion is on vst bass modules vs the real thing? I run most of the time through logic or ableton with SD as the drum kit since I rarely play in a band setting. So recently I wanted to get more realistic bass sounds, so my options were to buy either a bass (ie fender MIM Or MIA p or j bass) and then home my skills, or spend a lot less and get Trilian and not worry about playing Bass, and just automate it.

So what does the public think?

Thanks!

Hi!

Honestly, buy the bass. You already have the amps in the Axe. I used to program bass parts, and they were pretty functional. However, when you're programming you write without instrumental embellishment. For instance, when programming a bass part in Trillian, I would need to change sounds and hunt out the slap sound for the sound that I wanted. This takes time, and interrupts the creative flow. (On a side note, I think this is more a left/right brain thing... pm me if you want specifics. :) )

With a bass, you have the notes at your fingertips in a much more tactile way than you do when programming, unless you have spent the time getting familiar with all the different MIDI program changes, keystrokes, controller changes. Doing this takes time, and as I'm assuming you're a stringed instrument player first, getting familiar with those sound you want on the actual instrument will feel more natural.

Essentially, you will need to learn to be a keyboard player to gain fluency, and not every VSTi uses the same functionality per key.

Another point is that playing bass is a skill that can be brought to a band, or taught, and there are specific bass guitar grade systems out there. You will gain a perspective by playing bass that you will never get by playing keyboards....... and, it must be said, vice versa.

I used to program parts, but then bought a bass to aid workflow. I would never go back.

Hope this helps!

Dave.

I've been using Trilian (and Omnisphere) now for several months for composing Demos. Now the bassplayer of my old Band is joining the Project and is trying to replace the Trilian Bass Parts (Hardcore Bass SVT Preset) by playing the Parts "for Real", which is quite difficult.
He's a very skilled Player and uses an Ibanez BTB 6String, Amp-wise he's using my Axe's SVT- Preset, and till now it isn't possible, to get the fat, defined tone that I recorded with the Trilian, Even by Extreme usage of Tools for compression, limiting, equing,...
I'm Not a Keyboard Player, but After several Weeks of working with the Trilian I get Sounds, that are really Hard to get with the "Real Life Counterpart" ...you would have to learn how to use it (programming, Modulation, dead notes,) but when you got it Once, it's a Mighty Tool and it's also Hard to get an average Real Bass sounding Even 50 % the quality of the Trilian.

You compose your Music Alone and have Time and a Good PC/Mac? You want to have a realistic Bass Sound? Get the Trilian and forget about the Real Bass.
You want to Play Bass Parts without a Computer Plugin, you want "ok" sounding Results which have to be processed very
Extensively to fit later in the Mix and don't really care about Not getting that "Million Dollar Bass Sound" you are able to get with Trilian without fuxxin' Around in the Mix....get the Real Bass.

Without a Real outstanding piece of Bass (Not Talking about the average Joe Cheapo Bass ) you won't be able to get the High quality Sound of the Trilian and if it Sounds Real, Depends only on your skills as a programmer and Not a Player...
And....you would have to be a really Good bassplayer with the Real Bass.....

Yeah Trillian is awesome. But it comes with a serious learning curve to make it sound like a "real" bassist. The sounds are there, you just have to learn how to program it 'key switches' / midi

Depending on how technical your music is, it may be easier to just buy a bass :)

Good points.

For creating, I would still go for a real bass, but it's pretty undeniable that Trillian bass sounds are some of the best. It's easy enough to get similar sounds with a little know how, but you do need the right bass.

I think it can be split into two things. If it's great sound with no tinkering that you're after, Trillian is the way to go.

If you want to create with a bass, buy a bass.

If you want the best of both worlds, buy a bass and use a pitch to MIDI converter on it. One is included with the latest version of Ableton Live.

I'm more of a guitarist than a keyboardist so I went with a real bass first which in my case is a Squire vintage modern jazz bass, great punchy tone.

Later I got into triggering Spectrosonics Trilian (and Onmisphere) via GK-13pin/guitar synth or my synth workstation.

Last edited:
Interesting takes on the process, I did like how Spectrosonivs demoed Trilian, and I do like the ability for what seems like complete bass control. On the other hand, having a decent bass around would also have it's advantages. I may point out that I typically do my work on the go, so I just have my computer, a guitar, a minimal io to record guitar and a midi pad. The axe gets used when I work at home :) so based on how I typically write/ record ideas, I think Trilian might be best, especially for the price. If I were to get a bass I would probably only consider an MIA fender since I prefer to get something top end and not have to replace it, unless there is a really good argument for an MIM.

To get a polished professional bass track takes a lot of work.

Low frequency instruments in general, I find more challenging all around. Playing, mixing, etc.

Learning a new instrument is a great thing. But if your goal is a truly professional bass track, get Trillian. You can always buy a used bass guitar and learn it too along the way.

(I play bass, keys, guitar, mandolin.)

Yea right now, I'm all over the place with where/when I actually to record ideas, so it's a hit and miss. I may look into getting a bass within a year, but maybe for now I can settle for built in samples and run them through amplitube when I'm on the go and without my Axe. I'll see if I can find a good deal on Trilian. I use an MBP 2011 with i5 and ssd HDD and 16gb ram so I havent hit any walls with loading samples, or overusing the processor, so I'm guessing in worst case if I run Amplitube + SD + Trilian, I should still be alright.

I have Trillian and Superior Drummer and i'm very happy with the results, don't think there's anything better out there at the moment (Software solutions)..

I would like to echo most of what BigD1977 said. The parts that I write with Trillian are usually very basic bass parts. If you want the part to have alot of different articulations, muted, glisses, slides etc., then playing the bass will sound more realistic. Having said that, if you take the time to learn how to use the "LIVE" mode, you can trigger multiple articulation types very quickly and quite easily. The tutorials on Spectrasonics' site are very helpful. Trillians' sounds are top notch. The thing I use it most for is synth stuff and the Acoustic bass samples which are out of this world.

I use Trillian, amongst others AND Furman's Triple Play. All the fat sounds of Trillian and I can play them on my guitar.

Best of both worlds.

For the love of all that is holy... Please SPELL IT WITH ONLY ONE "L" o_0

Kidding...sort of.

Trilian, RMX (Stylus) and Omni user here. Incredible stuff. But am still tempted to buy a P-bass to simply get the parts up and running without a small thesis in programming and producing :D

If you are an accomplished bass player, then it is much easier, at least for me, to play the bass lines vs. programming them.

Even playing the bass lines from a keyboard isn't quite as easy to get all the articulations that just playing the instrument.

But programming is better, IMO, for someone that does not play bass guitar.

I use Trillian, amongst others AND Furman's Triple Play. All the fat sounds of Trillian and I can play them on my guitar.

Best of both worlds.

I have a bass and Trilian. I do the same workflow since I am not a great keyboard player- works well for me and I like the fact that I can edit the midi afterwards (make sure timing is tight, add in the special articulations, etc)

I try to think about the time vs. result.

If I'm just making demos or putting down some ideas, then whatever is fastest and easy and gets a decent enough result works.

To cut a serious bass track, programmed or otherwise takes me quite a bit more time. Especially if I'm engineering and playing the track too. Lot's of back and forth before I get takes that I like.

Back
Top Bottom