Wish Trigger Threshold for Sequencer

Would be cool to be able to set a trigger threshold to the Sequencer. So if I add a step sequencer to a WAH, as it is now, the sequencer is always triggered whether I play or not, so maybe if I'm recording a part I may or may not start my playing at the top of the sequence. Adding a trigger threshold to the sequencer would ensure that the control modifier doesn't trigger the parameter effect until you actually start playing.

Application:
I like to sometimes record, for example, whole notes on a WAH with an 8 step sequencer set to 8th's or 16th's on a section of a song.... but sometimes I might start recording and I strum right in between two steps of a sequence so I have to stop, and try again until I successfully hit the downbeat with the beginning of the sequence. Adding the trigger threshold would remove the action of having to guess or calculate where to actually start the musical part.

Hope the terminology makes sense!

Here's an example where I catch it right the first time, but the second time I start in the middle of a sequence change and it throws the whole part if....

Have you tried tying the Run parameter to ADSR or Envelope?
Yeah I have. It doesn't really work. I've set it to Envelope, but then it just works kind of like an auto-wah, unless I change the "Parameter Change" from Min Run to Max Run, which doesn't solve anything.

Here's how to do this. Set up an ADSR with very low times so it quickly stops and restarts the sequencer when triggered. That will let the sequencer keep running regardless of how low your signal level gets as notes ring. I'm guessing that's the problem you're describing in post #4 although "works kind of like an auto-wah" is sort of vague.

Here's how to do this. Set up an ADSR with very low times so it quickly stops and restarts the sequencer when triggered. That will let the sequencer keep running regardless of how low your signal level gets as notes ring. I'm guessing that's the problem you're describing in post #4 although "works kind of like an auto-wah" is sort of vague.
I just tried assigning an ADSR with low times to the Run control. Still no luck. The problem is, no matter what I assign as a Source to the modifier of "RUN", nothing will happen unless I actually have the parameter range from RUN to RUN. If I set it from Stop to Run, or from Pause to Run, there's nothing going on. if I set it from Run to Run, the stepping works, but there's no threshold to when it starts or ends, it just keeps going endlessly whether I play or not.

This will work when configured properly. Make sure you're adjusting the run modifier so 100% ADSR value is "stop". The ADSR style should be "once" with sustain = off. It also might not work properly if all the times are too low. Try starting with all times at minimum, ADSR level at 100% and increase sustain time until it works. You might need to adjust the threshold as well.

Envelope modifying run should also basically work fine, but you need to be more careful about muting well before restarting and/or how much you let a note ring/decay since it will stop when your signal falls below the threshold.

Reactions: Rex
This will work when configured properly. Make sure you're adjusting the run modifier so 100% ADSR value is "stop". The ADSR style should be "once" with sustain = off. It also might not work properly if all the times are too low. Try starting with all times at minimum, ADSR level at 100% and increase sustain time until it works. You might need to adjust the threshold as well.

Envelope modifying run should also basically work fine, but you need to be more careful about muting well before restarting and/or how much you let a note ring/decay since it will stop when your signal falls below the threshold.
I must be doing something wrong then. Let me trace my steps and see if you can find my mistake.

First, assign WAH Control to be SEQUENCER. Then set Sequencer steps where I want them. Then, in Controllers, set ADSR1 to low times. Then in Sequencer page, I open the RUN control modifier. In Sequencer Modifier Screen, I assign Source to ADSR 1.

Now still in Sequencer Modifier Screen... if I assign "Max" to STOP, and "Min" to RUN, the sequencer is running anyway even if my guitar volume is down. If I assign RUN and RUN, no change. if I assign STOP in Min, MAX doesn't matter, no effect. I'm putting a real heavy drive after just so that I can turn my guitar volume down and the amp hiss will let me hear the sequencer, which is always on. I am tweaking all the parameters of ADSR, nothing is accomplishing a trigger threshold type effect. It just seems to delay in actual time, not threshold of playing, when the cycle starts.

If I set Sequence Modifier Source to Envelope, even with guitar volume down, Sequencer is still triggered and going through the steps.

Now still in Sequencer Modifier Screen... if I assign "Max" to STOP, and "Min" to RUN, the sequencer is running anyway even if my guitar volume is down.
That much is expected/intended, so the sequence doesn't stop just because your note got quiet. The ADSR should restart the sequence when you hit a note if you have a reasonable threshold setting. If you turn up the sustain time enough you should be able to hear it hold the first step too long then continue. Obviously you wouldn't want it to actually do that, but it makes it easier to verify everything else is set correctly.

When you tried envelope as source, did you adjust min/max? In that case you'd want max = run, min = stop. Also if I'm understanding correctly that pause is the middle of the three options, you'd probably want to crank the modifier scale to 10 so pause only occupies a small part of the source range.

That much is expected/intended, so the sequence doesn't stop just because your note got quiet. The ADSR should restart the sequence when you hit a note if you have a reasonable threshold setting. If you turn up the sustain time enough you should be able to hear it hold the first step too long then continue. Obviously you wouldn't want it to actually do that, but it makes it easier to verify everything else is set correctly.

When you tried envelope as source, did you adjust min/max? In that case you'd want max = run, min = stop. Also if I'm understanding correctly that pause is the middle of the three options, you'd probably want to crank the modifier scale to 10 so pause only occupies a small part of the source range.
What I meant on the wish list post was for it to stop when the note gets quiet. Seems like a simple "Trigger Threshold" like we have in the Tremolo block would be incredibly easier. I had suggested adding a trigger threshold to all modulation effects as well in the past, but maybe that's not something most people really desire.

Regardless thanks for your help. I honestly need to do more digging in the ADSR and controllers in general. I guess the downside of not having a simple trigger threshold is having to learn how to get under the hood lol.

What I meant on the wish list post was for it to stop when the note gets quiet.
It can do this. You can hear an extreme example here:

Wherever the sequencer is not playing but you can still hear my picking hand wanging away, I'm below the trigger threshold. When I whack it, the sequence plays. I'm just goofing, but it flies!

Last edited:
What I meant on the wish list post was for it to stop when the note gets quiet.
This is what Envelope assigned to run will do, or should do at least. I'd recommend trying that again with scale cranked up, and watch how the dot moves. If it's not getting into the "stop" zone your envelope gain parameter might be too high.

An ADSR in sustain mode can also accomplish this instead of the quick stop/start setup mentioned above.

It can do this. You can hear an extreme example here:

Wherever the sequencer is not playing but you can still hear my picking hand wanging away, I'm below the trigger threshold. When I whack it, the sequence plays. I'm just goofing, but it flies!

Nice goof!

Back
Top Bottom