Triaxis lead one red. Sounds yuch

I'm futzing with it... please remember that there was a specific version that sounded good, odds of cliff having the right one are not high, I've had 4 triaxis and in 3 of them that mode was useless. If it has the fat mod it is a turd and flubby, the tx4 and no fat mod is awesome. I'm going to keep messing with it.

Darnit! Forgot about these models when I was trying the new stuff last night. Will have to check out today :)

Why to have a bunch of Marshalls and modded Marshall models? Because diversity and choice is the way to go.
It's like saying that with one Marshall you can cover Slash, so why more than one? ;)

It's possible red of 1 sounded bad wth my ebmm jp. Since he used diff pups in the day. Which r u using and if u have a chance throw up a patch/cab! I will try again today soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So these are basically the JP settings and a bit more gain and using the GEQ to compensate for the dynamic voice. Umm... I wouldn't suggest boosting mids on Mark series amps but the exact opposite.. Ofcourse this depends on how you set the GEQ or dynamic voice.

I guess it's easily the tightest high gain amp in the FAS. Clank.. clank.. clank... This is what I would call brutal and not so much gain that everything is a mush. :lol

Clark,

On two input gain amps, like Dumbles, I've always had the second input drive hotter than the first drive settings.

I noticed you have it the opposite, the second drive lower than the first.

Was that by ear? Or are the Mesa's usually just set that way?

I used to have two triaxis (triaxi?) in my pre AxeFx refrigerator. I sent one back to get modded when the new board came out. I was never able to get a usable sound out of the new red fat thingy. Couldn't make it work live or in a mix. Eventually sent it back to get the card removed.

At the time I never even dreamed that someday mods would be sent to me at no charge via software! It's a great time to be a guitarist!

So these are basically the JP settings and a bit more gain and using the GEQ to compensate for the dynamic voice. Umm... I wouldn't suggest boosting mids on Mark series amps but the exact opposite.. Ofcourse this depends on how you set the GEQ or dynamic voice.

I guess it's easily the tightest high gain amp in the FAS. Clank.. clank.. clank... This is what I would call brutal and not so much gain that everything is a mush. :lol

nice what guitar/pups?

Both of mine are TX4 with no fat mod.

interesting.... maybe mine was magical or my memory was ;) I have settings written down from my triaxis: gain: 7, treb: 6, mid: 6, Bass: 8, lead 1 drive: 7, lead 2 drive: 0, master: 4, presence: 0, dynamic voice: 4, and I had deep and modern on my 2:90 engaged.

interesting.... maybe mine was magical or my memory was ;) I have settings written down from my triaxis: gain: 7, treb: 6, mid: 6, Bass: 8, lead 1 drive: 7, lead 2 drive: 0, master: 4, presence: 0, dynamic voice: 4, and I had deep and modern on my 2:90 engaged.

What would be the lead 2 drive and dynamic voice on the axe?

I actually had a Triaxis preset that I used on a few songs back in the old days. The trick is to crank the mids. IIRC I had the mids around 8.5. Otherwise it was just too scooped and got lost in the mix. I think I was using that preset on the "Nu-Metal" crap that we were playing in those days: Nickleback, Fallout Boy, etc.

Can we get a time machine knob on the next firmware update so I can turn it back a day and pretend Cliff never played Nickelback? :)

Reactions: yek
The layout of the Triaxis' controls never made sense to me. You have separate Lead 1 and Lead 2 drive controls, but you couldn't have both Lead 1 and 2 drives active at the same time, so you'd always have one parameter that was just wasted front panel real estate when a single Lead Drive parameter would have worked fine for both of them.

Funny enough, it always seemed to me that if MESA removed both one of the extraneous drive controls and the Dynamic Voice control, they could have probably had room for a mini-5-band graphic EQ on the front panel instead. Well, either that or two different parameters controlling an internal, fully editable 5-band eq, one parameter being the slider selector, going 1-5, and the other parameter being the actual control for the currently selected slider. Hell, you could even keep the ability to mix the eq'ed and uneq'ed signals in true Triaxis fashion by giving the "slider selector" parameter a 6th setting for eq mix, in which case the actual mix would be controlled by the slider control parameter.

Then again, if they actually did that, the preamp would have probably been too good, so Cliff might have never been driven to develop the Axe-Fx in the first place, so hey!

Last edited:
Yeah it's not my favorite. The Triaxis amp sims are sooo tight. It's good for that uber tight thing but it's not always the most fun to play that way.

The schematic on the net is completely wrong btw. I couldn't get the model to jibe with my Triaxis. So I grudgingly removed the cover and started to poke around. The infamous "R9 and C6" that everyone claims are the secret to the sound weren't even installed (!). Just empty spots on the board for them. Amazed by this I dug out my backup Triaxis and took the cover off that one. Sure enough R9 and C6 were not installed in that one either.

This is the kind of crap I deal with on a regular basis and then get berated for a model not sounding like someone's particular copy of an amp. Mesa is especially notorious for this. They are constantly changing things. A modern dual rec sounds nothing like the original (I have both, in fact I have four Rectos and they all sound completely different).

Lol! Mine just has the PCB outlines for those parts too... like a crime scene. But, strangely, there are a couple of resistors/caps (been a long time since I looked) that are soldered hanging off the leads of the other legitimately installed PCB parts. It looks as if it were modded. I have no clue as to whether this was done at the factory or by a previous owner. It's got an old serial number, but it's running v2 software, so it had to have seen an amp tech at one point.

I also found some ganged LDRs below the TX4 board that I dont recall seeing in the 'net schematics. One was crimped on the other that was already on the board. I had some random cold-solder joint issues with this unit, so I droped some solder on those while I was resoldering the whole thing. I had the ribbon cables flake out on me too! No wonder I got this so cheap... :D It makes me REALLY appreciate the consistency of the Axe.

Whatever the case with my Triaxis, the LD1 Red model is right on. I did a little tone matching last night and A/B'ed it to the point where I couldn't tell the difference. We really appreciate you adding this, Cliff. It's no FAS Brootalz, but it has a place in our hearts. :D

Lol! Mine just has the PCB outlines for those parts too... like a crime scene. But, strangely, there are a couple of resistors/caps (been a long time since I looked) that are soldered hanging off the leads of the other legitimately installed PCB parts. It looks as if it were modded. I have no clue as to whether this was done at the factory or by a previous owner. It's got an old serial number, but it's running v2 software, so it had to have seen an amp tech at one point.

I also found some ganged LDRs below the TX4 board that I dont recall seeing in the 'net schematics. One was crimped on the other that was already on the board. I had some random cold-solder joint issues with this unit, so I droped some solder on those while I was resoldering the whole thing. I had the ribbon cables flake out on me too! No wonder I got this so cheap... :D It makes me REALLY appreciate the consistency of the Axe.

Whatever the case with my Triaxis, the LD1 Red model is right on. I did a little tone matching last night and A/B'ed it to the point where I couldn't tell the difference. We really appreciate you adding this, Cliff. It's no FAS Brootalz, but it has a place in our hearts. :D

Okay, it's comforting to know that mine aren't the only ones with R9 and C6 not installed. The web is full of misinformation about the TX4 board and the infamous phat mod.

I remember clearly though that when I bought mine it was when the TX4 board was first introduced and the phat mod wasn't out yet. I then bought a backup a year or two later that sounded terrible. I was told it had the phat mod. So I returned it and finally they found one for me that was the same as my original one.

Back
Top Bottom