Treble bleed caps - arghhh!

Newer Suhrs come with the same basic treble bleed as you described, but with a 120k resistor in series after the parallel 680pf cap/150k resistor. I don't know how many years they've been doing it, but it's at least 2-3 years. It's probably to dampen the effect of the bleeding somewhat.

OK. Thanks. I'll try that when I get a chance.
Hopefully the extra resistor helps with the pot taper.
But I've learned not to get my hopes up.
:-(

BTW
On my Strat with Areas on it I'm doing it Cliff's way with just a cap and it works great on that guitar with those components.
But I forget the value I ended up with for the cap. D'Oh.
It's gotta be lower than .001uf though.
Vintage Teles had this value stock.
Gets way too thin too quickly as you decrease volume.

Thanks for replies - I've ordered in a bag of assorted caps and also resistors - let battle begin.

@chucma I got the tip from the Seymour Duncan forum ...... I'll have a couple of wires squeezing out under scratchplate connected to a solderless 4x2 mini breadboard connector - the legs of the caps will just push in from the top without needing to solder anything as I test.

Probably would be fine just wrapping the loose ends round the cap legs but figured I could keep the mini connector and tails as a bit of re-usable kit for other guitars in the future.

So how does the Jackson play? Sorry to distract from the treble bleed discussion.... I am interested in that too. How many times have you played 'Waisted Years"?

OK. Thanks. I'll try that when I get a chance.
Hopefully the extra resistor helps with the pot taper.
But I've learned not to get my hopes up.
:-(

BTW
On my Strat with Areas on it I'm doing it Cliff's way with just a cap and it works great on that guitar with those components.
But I forget the value I ended up with for the cap. D'Oh.
It's gotta be lower than .001uf though.
Vintage Teles had this value stock.
Gets way too thin too quickly as you decrease volume.
Tylers have just a single cap, some were around 250pf. I used that for quite a while when I did just the straight up cap with no resistor.

So how does the Jackson play? Sorry to distract from the treble bleed discussion.... I am interested in that too. How many times have you played 'Waisted Years"?
The SDX plays rather nicely - it was such a silly price when I picked it up in a shop a year or two ago and the neck felt good so I just impulse bought and threw it in a corner until recently.

I'm replacing the pots and pickups .... (the new Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge is proving a bit disappointing ....thin sounding compared to my surface mounted version in another guitar ..... I've a F spaced JB to try in there next).

I put a wafer thin sycamore shim at the back of the pocket.

Thinking of how to extend the truss rod into a cartwheel adjuster and rout it into the end of the pocket ..... taking the neck off to adjust truss rods is really just a bit too old school now!

I’ve read the necks are really nice and most say stable. They’re so inexpensive! I wanna get one, paint stripes and rotate an old PAF. And of course cut the wiring so the single coil doesn’t work.

Seriously. It sounds like a perfect project guitar to customize.

Back
Top Bottom