Traveling with AxeFX3, any issues?

bxlgotham

Inspired
Anyone ever have any hassle traveling with it by air? Was planning trip this summer and wondering if I can keep it in a carry on bag. Seems that with an Apollo X2 Twin and the AFX3, that's about exactly 17.5lbs, plus the luggage, and power adapters. Might cross the 18lb threshold, but not sure if that's even doable these days, I don't travel much. It fits very tightly in the luggage, so taking it out on the spot and replacing it could be a bit of a hassle, but not impossible.

Anyone ever have any hassle traveling with it by air? Was planning trip this summer and wondering if I can keep it in a carry on bag. Seems that with an Apollo X2 Twin and the AFX3, that's about exactly 17.5lbs, plus the luggage, and power adapters. Might cross the 18lb threshold, but not sure if that's even doable these days, I don't travel much. It fits very tightly in the luggage, so taking it out on the spot and replacing it could be a bit of a hassle, but not impossible.
Unless you are the guy above 👆, just check the airline for their allowed dimensions and weight for the carry-on luggage

Last edited:
I traveled quite a lot pre-pandemic with the AXE-FX and worked very well. I had it in a soft-case and it went in the overhead storage. Then I just had a small bag with PC and some personal items. No complaints or issues.
Disclaimer: My travels were all in Asia so have no ideas about EU or American standards or regulations.

Have you ever seen some of the baggage people bring on planes and put in overhead? I’ve seen guitar cases on board.

They may want to look inside the baggage, but I don’t see a problem with bringing the Ax on a plane. Ask the airline.

I’ve carried on a helix floor in the helix backpack many times (before I got an Axe-FX of course) so there’s no restricted materials or anything inside the unit. If it fits in a carryon-size suitcase you’ll be fine.

Not sure about the weight limit but I’ve never seen them check the weight of a carryon and my carryon suitcases are easily over 20lbs when full.

The stuff they let through is pretty funny, I bring my tools with me everywhere and they always check the multi-tool to see if it has a tiny fold out blade but they don’t even blink at 6” screwdrivers and wire cutters.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESW
I have traveled extensively with my Axe III in a SKB 4-space shock rack with wheels and a handle.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-3i-2217m124u-iseries-removable-fly-rack-case

This made it possible to also include a wireless and in-ear system as well. My rack was 49lbs, most US airlines have a 50lb weight limit.
I put my FC 12 in my luggage. Carry guitars on the plane.

I have recently put together a Live Rig with an Anvil Shock Rack that lives in the truck. SO, I am using the FM9 for fly dates and it works great. Just remember the 50lb weight limit and all is well.

Best of luck

Thanks all, I realize this is not the same product, but while I'm at it I was going to bring Apollo X2 Twin and X16 rack, a few pedals, and some Sennheiser mics. I assume this is just as much a no biggie. I think I will just put it in a larger luggage and check it, and then buy extra insurance if for some reason the luggage is lost/stolen/damaged. Is the above making sense?

I was going to bring Apollo X2 Twin and X16 rack, a few pedals, and some Sennheiser mics.
In this case, I’d invest as much money I can into the rack case. Baggage handlers were already pretty brash but the last couple of years have seen lay-offs at an unprecedented scale; the situation with checked luggage is the worst it has ever been (at least in the parts of the world that I am travelling to and fro). Make sure you have more protection than you think you need because your luggage will be handled by underpaid, overworked fellas who will have already been behind schedule.

Have you ever seen some of the baggage people bring on planes and put in overhead? I’ve seen guitar cases on board.

They may want to look inside the baggage, but I don’t see a problem with bringing the Ax on a plane. Ask the airline.
You could forgive them for being suspicious though. Wouldn't be a silly idea for a bad guy to hide an incendiary device in something as obscure as an Axe-Fx. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom