Transition from Axe Fx II to XL+

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So yesterday I took advantage of the awesome B-stock sale and purchased an Axe Fx II XL+ for a great price.

I've owned my MkII for about 3 1/2 years now, so I'm very comfortable with most aspects of using it.

I also am hoping to just transfer the bulk of my setup directly over. Is that possible?

How much can I do directly? Presets? User Cabs? System backup?

Thanks!

Kevin

Did the same thing (upgrade to XL+) awhile ago.

It was REALLY beneficial to start over, and re-learn all the ways I had things set up. Makes a huge difference when things go wrong at the worst time.

Thanks for the input everyone. I figured the system settings wouldn't be possible, but you never know. I have no problem going back thru the settings... But if I could keep it all the same then so much the better. ;)

Fractool might be the best way to transfer everything. I'm not sure if it is possible to transfer system settings but if it is, I would bet Fractool would do it.

Fractool might be the best way to transfer everything. I'm not sure if it is possible to transfer system settings but if it is, I would bet Fractool would do it.
I've yet to use FracTool for anything... Mostly I care about presets and I'm pretty sure they will transfer directly with no issue. At the moment, all my presets use the same 2 IRs so user IRs are not a showstopper, anyway.

I've yet to use FracTool for anything... Mostly I care about presets and I'm pretty sure they will transfer directly with no issue. At the moment, all my presets use the same 2 IRs so user IRs are not a showstopper, anyway.

I transferred my MKI presets to an XL & there were some gotchas with some of the blocks. It was before Fractool came out & I don't remember exactly what the issues were but I had to go in & re-edit 130 presets to get them back to where they should be. I think Yek posted what the exact issues were at one point & it my be in the Wiki.

I transferred my MKI presets to an XL & there were some gotchas with some of the blocks. It was before Fractool came out & I don't remember exactly what the issues were but I had to go in & re-edit 130 presets to get them back to where they should be. I think Yek posted what the exact issues were at one point & it my be in the Wiki.
Good to know. Thanks!

I had no trouble with presets in 2014, loading from axe fx II mkII to XL. I do not remember the firm ware though, like 14 or something.

I had no trouble with presets in 2014, loading from axe fx II mkII to XL. I do not remember the firm ware though, like 14 or something.
I'll give it a shot and report back any issues.

I do use Global Blocks so hopefully that works ok.

Almost all my presets are built from the same template with only the amp model being different. Worst case, I'll save each amp block as favorites in Axe Edit and then restore my template and recreate the presets.

UGH!

I have spent the last 6+ hours trying to get my presets successfully transferred from the II to the XL+...

After updating the fimware on the XL+, then a backup of Bank A (where my presets live) and User Cabs on the II, I imported them to the XL+ via Axe Manage Presets and Axe Manage Cabs.

I then went thru all the System Settings (Global, I/O, etc) and matched them up identically.

One first glance, the presets looked right... but I soon discovered that most of the blocks were not my settings.

Then it occurred to me that all the blocks that were wrong are ones that are Global blocks used in 90% of my presets.

Sooo... I hooked Axe Edit back up to the II, loaded up a preset with the global blocks and used the options save ALL blocks as saved blocks.

After doing that, I switched back to the XL+ and went to the same preset. Then I went block by block through the Global blocks and loaded them from the saved blocks.

GREAT - everything looks as it should across all 8 scenes.

Plug in my guitar... ummm, what? Everything is very quiet! Like, really, really quiet :(

Cables, Output Level knobs, Power amp knobs...

Then I checked the VU meters on the XL+ - the Output Level meters are all showing about 12dB less than on the II. WTF?

I'm stumped... I checked all the block's levels and nothing is off. I started removing blocks from the preset one at a time to see if one of them was wonky... ended up down to just Amp and Cab. Still nothing.

I checked a few factory presets, and they seem much closer to what the level is on the II.

As an interim solution, I can bump the level on the Output section as well as on the FX Loop Send each by 12dB to get the levels up but that just seems wrong to me.

I've also re-loaded FW Q7.02 twice as well as trying 7.01, and I've also tried resetting System Settings.

The good news is almost all of my presets use the same template... the bad news is that I use all 8 scenes, a number of modifiers, Scene Controllers, etc... so re-creating these from scratch would be a lot of work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm done for tonight... too frustrated. And I need to solve this soon because I've already sold the II, and I need to deliver it to the new owner on Sunday.

I may give FractTool a try next.

Thanks!

If you don't have a lot of presets, just export them on the II with Axe-Edit individually and then import them on the XL+. I don't think that will fix the global blocks issue but it gives you a good chance of nothing too freaky happening to the preset itself.

If you don't have a lot of presets, just export them on the II with Axe-Edit individually and then import them on the XL+. I don't think that will fix the global blocks issue but it gives you a good chance of nothing too freaky happening to the preset itself.
Thanks... I forgot to mention that I tried that, too... As well as doing similar with Fractalbot.

I want to give a GIANT thanks to @AlGrenadine for FracTool!

I was able to resolve the issue by loading my presets from backup via FracTool and the issue is gone! :) :) :D

Al - I sent you a donation for your hard work on a very cool tool. I will be using it more in the future.

One thing it did not do is to carry any information for global blocks over, but that is ok for me as I didn't have too many presets. Would it be possible to have an option in FracTool to allow for restoring/setting of global blocks from the backup?

I was able to resolve the issue by loading my presets from backup via FracTool and the issue is gone! :) :) :D

Al - I sent you a donation for your hard work on a very cool tool. I will be using it more in the future.

One thing it did not do is to carry any information for global blocks over, but that is ok for me as I didn't have too many presets. Would it be possible to have an option in FracTool to allow for restoring/setting of global blocks from the backup?
Yes , Al's program is chock full of great functionality (I don't use Global blocks so no issue for me

Well FracTool converts presets keeping global blocks but these blocks have to be saved and imported in AxeEdit before converting because presets with global blocks don't embed global blocks data, they just have links to a global block number

Well FracTool converts presets keeping global blocks but these blocks have to be saved and imported in AxeEdit before converting because presets with global blocks don't embed global blocks data, they just have links to a global block number

Thanks... I learned last night that global blocks are part of the system settings, and obviously that makes sense that they could not be transferred from the II to the XL+.

Since most of my presets are created from the template, I was able to do some manual work after using FracTool to get my global blocks reestablished.

Thanks... I learned last night that global blocks are part of the system settings, and obviously that makes sense that they could not be transferred from the II to the XL+.

Since most of my presets are created from the template, I was able to do some manual work after using FracTool to get my global blocks reestablished.

Thats great! Glad you got it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom