Trans Siberian Orchestra - Axe FX interview

Caught a TSO show a while back, was the best theatrical concert I'd ever seen (and that's saying something!). Glad to see them moving to the Axe Fx, it's perfect for a show needing a lot of tones quickly.

I had Angus as a professor at the NGSW in Seattle and he is an amazing musician.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are actually two different touring bands since they have to cover so much ground in a short amount of time. If you have an option, I suggest the West Coast band over the East Coast band. Al Pitrelli and Angus Clark on guitars is worth the price of admission alone.

I go every year to see the East Coast group. With Joel Hoekstra playing for them (and Alex Skolnick previously), you won't be disappointed.

I go every year to see the East Coast group. With Joel Hoekstra playing for them (and Alex Skolnick previously), you won't be disappointed.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the East Coast group with Joel. Also, didn't want to suggest at all that the East Coast group would be a disappointment. Both are filled with fantastic musicians at every position. Just that after seeing both dozens of times, I found Al and Angus to be my preference. But then I've been a fan of Pitrelli for many many years.

Seriously? He only uses 3 preset tones for the entire show--amazing!!! I guess I have 762 unnecessary slots lol

Angus uses a few more patches than that, but he does keep it fairly simple. There were a few things edited out for time or content. As Angus says in the video it's a base of Marshall-type tones. I'd agree to put them on your calendar for next year - show is amazing. The band and vocalists are top-notch and the stage show is beyond compare.

Angus is a really nice guy. I'd think that if someone from FAS would ask him, he'd have his tech either share his patches or give us a more detailed look. I'd like to have more info regarding what he meant by adding some "air" to the patches so that they were better in the mix.

anyone see tso? worth it? does it rock or is it wimpy?
The TSO show is a show in the truest sense. Theme, awesome musicianship, theatrics throughout, and a flow that keeps your attention. I was expecting a Christmas pageant. What I got was a serious audio-visual butt-whippin', and an immediate desire to see them again. Worth the ticket.

Angus is a really nice guy. I'd think that if someone from FAS would ask him, he'd have his tech either share his patches or give us a more detailed look. I'd like to have more info regarding what he meant by adding some "air" to the patches so that they were better in the mix.

Here you go - Chad himself (guitar tech extraordinaire for TSO & Metallica) posted some details on this in a new thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/94787-few-words-about-live-sound.html

Saw Angus and TSO tonight in Houston. AWESOME show, great playing, everything I have come to expect. Great night!

Saw them earlier this week in Atlanta. Amazing show as always - huge. Angus is a total pro.

TSO%202015.jpg

Some of the Houston show... I was on the floor, right below the violinist (beauty AND a beast of a musician) house right. Sound system was thunderous!

Back
Top Bottom