traditional fx chains

clarky

Axe-Master
something just occured to me [based on a chat with a pal]...

many folk [and I was one of them - a long tmie ago] tend to place their entire fx chain before the amp rather than slinging the delay / reverb stomps in the amp's fx-loop [after the amp in our case]..

it made me curious.. has anyone in here ever created presets where all of their fx are placed before the amp?? ol' skool stylie

I use a spring reverb before the amp for the "old" tones. It sounds so good, it almost makes springy noises like when kicking a reverb tank. The only missing element in axe spring reverb :)

JJ - well that's exactly what I'm thinking....
I almost always place the phaser in front of the amp cos I like the way all that dirt chews it up...

I reckon I need to do some experiments so I can zero-in on the tonal differences of 'before vs after'

Wah, compressor, phaser (unless Barber), flanger (unless TZF), Drive.

Sometimes Chorus, Pitch, RingMod.... Sometimes Delay.

Putting Fx before Amp makes them part of the guitar sound, instead of operating as a post-processing effect, IMHO.

yeah... so 'before amp' fx tend to be softer and less focused... 'post amp' fx tend to be strong and clear...

personally I like phaser / univibe before, chorus / delay / reverb after, flanger before or after..
I don't really think about wah, comp, drive cos for me they're obvious

now I got me thinking about a grid layout that'll enable the delay to be both before or after in the same preset..
is it worth it? or am I just being stupid for the hell of it? lol..

In depends on how much you clip/drive the amp.
Try a tremelo before or after. Completly different.
You can use delay before distortion, but as noisy fx... ;)

P.S. I keep Trem after the Amp because it works with dirty amps too that way (choppy).

Cool thread. I'm going to experiment moving stuff like chorus and flange before amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom