tracking a processed and dry tone at same time

rifflord22

Inspired
I want to lay down two tracks in cubase simultaneously one processed amped/cabbed (the one I actually hear while I track) and one dry/direct one for reamping. How do I accomplish this?

Also sorry for the newb question but how do I lower the volume of what I hear coming out of the axe while I track without affecting the tone or recorded signal? The axe is always way louder than my drum/ bass tracks until I get the file recorded and turn it down in my mixer, making it really hard for me to hear the backing track I am playing over

Would be happy to post more pictures of my cats if that helps

Cat pictures are always good. I don't know about the double tracking, I'm not there yet, but as for the leveling, You should be able to adjust the level of the playback on the I/O section on the audio tab. It's all the way at the bottom as "USB Return Level". 0.0db would be the loudest.

If you are using USB there are four channels. The first two are processed, the second two are dry.

If you are using analog you can route the dry to Output 2 by setting Output 2 Echo to "Input"

If you are using USB there are four channels. The first two are processed, the second two are dry.

If you are using analog you can route the dry to Output 2 by setting Output 2 Echo to "Input"

I am using USB. By chance are the two dry channels accessed by making a shunt from left to right on one of the bottom two lanes in the axe edit and then somehow selecting one of these channels in a cubase audio track?

i swear it's always the basics that come back to haunt me. i get ahead of myself

no you don't need a row of shunts.

in cubase you have to enable the outputs in VST Connections-Outputs menu. then select those inputs in the track you are recording.

no you don't need a row of shunts.

in cubase you have to enable the outputs in VST Connections-Outputs menu. then select those inputs in the track you are recording.

thanks for the reply but here is what i am looking at in the VST connections-outputs menu. seems to be referring to the speakers connected to my saffire interface. any idea?
Capture22.jpg

also for the inputs on the track, the only options are Stereo In - Left and Stereo In - Right

The patch I'm using only has a one cab

I'm starting to think I have the wrong mode selected in the axe or something. I jam on it through my PA speakers which are connected to my saffire interface, and record into my DAW using cubase. Maybe there is a USB mode that the unit needs to be set to? just an idea...god knows what I overlooked I went straight into messing with tones when I got the thing

I apoligize i know this isn't a cubase forum but I need help

you just have another interface selected there. you need to go to Device Settings and choose the Axe-Fx, not the "Saffire" if that's another interface you have.

then when you're back on that VST Connections screen you showed us, you may have to press the + button to add another channel then choose USB 3 from the Axe if you want the mono guitar dry input.

exit that to the main view and in one of the far left panels, you select the inputs for the selected track. choose that USB 3 that you added.

Reactions: EJB
you just have another interface selected there. you need to go to Device Settings and choose the Axe-Fx, not the "Saffire" if that's another interface you have.

then when you're back on that VST Connections screen you showed us, you may have to press the + button to add another channel then choose USB 3 from the Axe if you want the mono guitar dry input.

exit that to the main view and in one of the far left panels, you select the inputs for the selected track. choose that USB 3 that you added.

Hmmm well the focusrite saffire 24 is my audio interface IE what plays sound for me. So if i go to device setup I can switch to 'FAS USB Audio Asio driver' instead, but then i cant hear any sound.

My setup is this: The xlr outputs on the back of the axe are running into inputs 1 and 2 on the front of my saffire interface, which is how I've been playing and recording this whole time. The USB on the axe is also connected to my PC so i can use AXE edit to edit my patches.

basically i think i need to have the saffire selected as my audio device in device settings.

When I initially emailed the BTPA guy for my cables this is the way he told me to hook everything up when my unit arrived

Now i'm remembering the misha video where he uses a scarlett interface to record his axe fx tracks....I'm royally confused at this point lol

if you select the Axe-Fx as the interface, the monitors need to be plugged into the Axe outputs.

since you are using the other interface, you had it set up correctly in Cubase - so put it back to that for now. i only said what i said because you said you were using USB... but you are using USB of the OTHER interface :)

so i would suggest using Output 2 of the Axe for the Dry tone and record it analog - do as Cliff suggested and turn the Echo Function to "Input 1" in the I/O-Audio menu on the front panel of the Axe. then you need to plug the Out 2 of the Axe into other inputs of your other interface. make sure there is no FX Loop block in the preset.

the whole "interface colors the sound" is usually something VERY very small. some people are very, picky about it, but 90% of people won't hear a difference really :)

if you select the Axe-Fx as the interface, the monitors need to be plugged into the Axe outputs.

since you are using the other interface, you had it set up correctly in Cubase - so put it back to that for now. i only said what i said because you said you were using USB... but you are using USB of the OTHER interface :)

so i would suggest using Output 2 of the Axe for the Dry tone and record it analog - do as Cliff suggested and turn the Echo Function to "Input 1" in the I/O-Audio menu on the front panel of the Axe. then you need to plug the Out 2 of the Axe into other inputs of your other interface. make sure there is no FX Loop block in the preset.

the whole "interface colors the sound" is usually something VERY very small. some people are very, picky about it, but 90% of people won't hear a difference really :)

ahhh i didn't see that part. sorry cliff i've been computerizing all day and im close to insanity.
I feel like we're getting close but it's still not quite working right.

So i went into the I/O menu on the axe, changed output 2 echo to input 1.
In cubase i created two mono audio tracks, on the left the options were stereo in left and stereo in right, so i set one track to left and the other to right.
armed both and hit record. they both recorded identical processed guitar tracks. clearly i've done something wrong lol

Can you not select input on one device and output on another? I have a Sapphire Pro, In Logic X I select AXE for input and it gives me inputs 1+2 for the amped signal and 3+4 for the dry. I record enable both, all output comes from the monitors on the Sapphire. You can use software monitoring in some DAWs if you can't select two different devices.

they both recorded identical processed guitar tracks. clearly i've done something wrong lol

did you connect Out 2 of the Axe to your inputs?

Just so you know there are only 2 mic inputs on this interface

you have not said what interface you have directly, so i wouldn't know that :) i'm now guessing Sapphire PRO 24?

perhaps you can plug Out 2 into the Line Inputs on the rear of the Sapphire. then you need to make Cubase use those inputs.

Can you not select input on one device and output on another? I have a Sapphire Pro, In Logic X I select AXE for input and it gives me inputs 1+2 for the amped signal and 3+4 for the dry. I record enable both, all output comes from the monitors on the Sapphire. You can use software monitoring in some DAWs if you can't select two different devices.

Cubase only allows selecting 1 device for both in and out, so this isn't an option for him unfortunately. he does however have at least 4 inputs on the Sapphire itself so he can record all the things he needs to. just needs to set it up in Cubase.

thats whats weird...there is no "AXE" input anywhere in cubase. only a ''FAS USB Audio Asio driver" option in the asio driver drop down menu underneath VST audio system

thats whats weird...there is no "AXE" input anywhere in cubase. only a ''FAS USB Audio Asio driver" option in the asio driver drop down menu underneath VST audio system

"Fractal Audio Systems USB Audio Driver"

but as we discussed, you can't use this option since you are using the Sapphire as your interface.

trying to keep it simple here :) but that means taking away options.

Back
Top Bottom