touch sensitive cleans

greg

Inspired
I'll try to make this as clear as I can. I love touch sensitive amps. Although I can't think of any amps offhand that do what I'm trying to describe, I've been looking for a clean tone that allows you to hear your fingerprints move across the strings type of sensitivity, the kind of clean tone that is unforgiveable. I'm not sure if Fractal is capable of this kind of touch sensitivity in a clean amp. Does anyone know if such an amp exists in the Fractal world? Or can it be created?

I thought the ODS 100 HRM was pretty touch sensitive. I turned the overdrive volume up to 6 or 7 and the gain down just a touch. I liked the options on that amp in that regard.

I'll try to make this as clear as I can. I love touch sensitive amps. Although I can't think of any amps offhand that do what I'm trying to describe, I've been looking for a clean tone that allows you to hear your fingerprints move across the strings type of sensitivity, the kind of clean tone that is unforgiveable. I'm not sure if Fractal is capable of this kind of touch sensitivity in a clean amp. Does anyone know if such an amp exists in the Fractal world? Or can it be created?
It exists but you have to have your speakers or headphones turned up to hear the lower end of the dynamic range at a nominal volume.

If you set the listening device so that the loudest signals are at a medium volume in the room, you won’t hear or feel the low dynamic playing over the noise floor of the room.

Many people miss this with modelers or direct solutions. Volume in the room is still key for feel and turning down because you can reduces the quiet playing sensation.

Vox AC30/AC20. Also 1959SLP set for lots of bite. To me, the "touch sensitivity" is about lots of mids and very little compression.

I'm not sure if Fractal is capable of this kind of touch sensitivity in a clean amp.

And on the slightly less clean side (which, honestly, is what you want if you want a lot of control over the touch sensitivity)

Use the JFET compressor. Helps a bunch with adding a little peaky "punch" to softer notes.

As always: post a clip of what you're after so we're not trying to interpret what you mean by "a clean tone that allows you to hear your fingerprints move across the strings".

Otherwise this becomes people posting things and you saying that's not what you're after...

i usually attribute that quite a bit to the guitar / pickups than just the amp, my favourite guitar for that has been my kauffmann telecaster, super low output pickups, running into the matchless preset above , with a bit of boost to up the pickup signal going into the amp, works wonders

i've linked a video i did just for the first part , to give some idea

the touch sensitive part i usually get the most out of it with an edge of breakup style sound, roll the volume knob back a bit, or play with a lighter touch

as an example Andy Timmons i think has a Keeley modded Boss Blues driver, that's pretty gained up, and he rolls back the volume (with a treble bleed on it ) works wonders i think

as others have said gain/volume will play a big part, i like clean boosts or even using the Blues Driver model in the drive block to add some grit/personality, to amps that might be 'too' clean , hope that makes sense

in terms of amps, i really like the Matchbox D-30 , ODS, even the plexi style amps with your volume knob rolled back is great

The video Paul Bradshaw posted is really close to what I'm wanting.

iaresee: My original post said I couldn't find a video of what I was referring to. If I had, I would have posted it. So all I could do was describe it. I appreciate the clips you posted, but they aren't what I'm looking for.

Though I'd bet good money what you want is a nice bit of compression in front of a clean tone you already like.
^^^ This, I bet.

It might seem paradoxical to add a compressor or a bit of gain for more touch sensitivity, but what that does is bring all your subtle micro-inflections up near the level of your bigger moves, magnifying them.

Try it!

^^^ This, I bet.

It might seem paradoxical to add a compressor or a bit of gain for more touch sensitivity, but what that does is bring all your subtle micro-inflections up near the level of your bigger moves, magnifying them.

Try it!

Yup 👍

Compression sounds “loud”

The video Paul Bradshaw posted is really close to what I'm wanting.

iaresee: My original post said I couldn't find a video of what I was referring to. If I had, I would have posted it. So all I could do was describe it. I appreciate the clips you posted, but they aren't what I'm looking for.

thanks, yeah as iaresee said you can download all my presets through the link, the plexi one with the volume knob rolled back could be interesting too

the touch sensitive nature i think lies somewhere there, between the output of the guitar and the sensitivity of the amp, which you can gauge and tweak with input boosts/or a bit of drive/and using the volume knob of the guitar , it's probably a bit easier with lower output pickups but as always experiment, there's some really great tones in the unit

Back
Top Bottom