Touch and Volume Sensitivity

kennyg75

I have read in the past that the Axe FX II/AX8 were not especially good with touch sensitivity and volume levels for cleaning up a dirty amp. I've been testing the Axe FX III and found many of the models to be pretty good with touch sensitivity especially on the Marshall amps. I compared to my Bat Cat Black Cat 30 (early version on par with DC-30) and my Emery Sound SuperBaby and have found it to be on par. The extra DSP could really be helping here. Has anyone had the same experience?

Not sure where you read that the Axe II and AX8 have issues with touch sensitivity or volume-knob cleanup. Fractal products have done an excellent job of that all along.

I'm with them. Touch sensitivity has been damn'd good for a long time. I never did a side by side with the II, so can't comment on 'better than before'.

Plexi 50...clean to mean with a flick of the wrist.

So this all good to know and thank you for the responses. This was based on:

"most AX8 amp models (especially high-gain ones) aren’t as responsive to variations in touch and guitar settings as their analog equivalents. And it’s tough to get a clean-to-apocalyptic range of tones using only your volume knob like you can by, say, plugging straight into a great tweed or plexi." from a premier guitar review. I've also read that from other guitar snobs ( really not an insult - I for the most part can trust their amp advice).

So this all good to know and thank you for the responses. This was based on:

"most AX8 amp models (especially high-gain ones) aren’t as responsive to variations in touch and guitar settings as their analog equivalents. And it’s tough to get a clean-to-apocalyptic range of tones using only your volume knob like you can by, say, plugging straight into a great tweed or plexi." from a premier guitar review. I've also read that from other guitar snobs ( really not an insult - I for the most part can trust their amp advice).
Wow. I've been using pick attack and my guitar's volume knob to go from pristine clean to pure raunch since I bought my old Axe-Fx Ultra eight years ago. No issues.

Wow. I've been using pick attack and my guitar's volume knob to go from pristine clean to pure raunch since I bought my old Axe-Fx Ultra eight years ago. No issues.

I was really struck by how well the Marshall amps cleaned up. I started trying out other models and found them consistent. I haven't really heard or used another platform that compares.

I haven't been able to tell any real difference between the tube amps I've played and the Axe-Fx 2 when it comes to responding to picking dynamics and guitar volume. Works as expected.

Back
Top Bottom