Top Ten Principles To Being The Best Guitarist You Can Be

la szum

Axe-Master
Sorry for the crappy title. Yuk! Just wasn't sure what to call this list. And yeah,
hopefully not being presumptuous and pretentious with a list like this. It was just
fun to do as a thought experiment.
:)

Anyways, I was recently having a conversation with friends about playing guitar, and the
topic came up about what some of the keys to improvement might be. That led me to reflect
on my own 38 years of playing while drinking some beers last night. I ended up whittling it all
down to 10 elements that I have benefited from. Most of these are general principles, guideposts,
if you will. I realized that I have also circled back, at critical junctures, to each of these 10 principles
again and again. It also led me to see that these principles were never not in play in some way--
either as fundamentals to brush up on, goals to aspire to, or things to be inspired by. They are always
therefor me to (re)focus on or be inspired by. Even if I didn't know it until I thought about it, and then
wrote them all down.

Maybe you have a list of 10 elements or keys that have helped you. Here is mine. :)

1. Always Remember How Fun This Is, Because It Is! Our worst times playing music are when we
    are not enjoying ourselves. Non-enjoyment is also unsustainable. If we are not having fun,
    then we are not going to keep doing this. So fun, enjoyment, passion, and the pure delight
    and thrill of music, for me, is the most essential element of all.

2. Follow Your Heroes. No one blazes their own trail. No one has to. We all stand on the shoulders
    of giants, and even the giants stand on someone else's shoulders. Being inspired by that Mt.
    Rushmore of guitarists/musicians we admire can teach us so much. Learn from the best, your best,
    because they all have so much to teach us.
  3. Play With Other People, The Sooner The Better. Music is a team sport. Fuck the solo artist! :)
    Seriously! Community is at the core of music. Bands. Orchestras. Symphonies. Ensembles. Fans.
    Groupies. Buddies. It's easy to get fixated on ourselves and our own abilities (or lack thereof),
    and other people is where we can get out of that trap. Inspiring and learning from other people
    is really at the heart of our growth and development. Play with other people as soon as you can
    and then keep playing with other people (even when they piss you off, cause people!). Also, put
    yourself into the fray with different types of players. Grow your community, and join/start/feed a
    Music Mafia around you.

4. Tuning! Tuning! Tuning! Speaks for itself, doesn't it? Some may argue this is first, or should be. But
    I have had fun playing a tad out of tune and so did some of my heroes. Don't let tuning ruin a great
    moment! That being said, knowing how to play in tune---i.e., refining your touch, understanding pitch
    and intonation, are essential. Duh, right? Tuning and our ability to hear are related and mutually
    reinforce each other. Bad pitch can become an habit just as easily as good pitch. Knowing when we are
    "out of tune" and correcting it as quickly as possible are massive! And yes, most of us suck at it initially.

5. Be Curious About, Or Maybe Even Learn To Play, Another Instrument. I have a theory that the best
    musicians are not just focused and fixated on one instrument--even virtuosos are multi-instrumentalists.
    Other instruments can teach us so much about the relationship between different elements of music (rhythm,
    harmony, phrasing, placement in a mix). Drums can teach us how to phrase differently on a guitar. A brass
    or woodwind instrument can teach us that we need to breathe, and so maybe our guitar playing is not one
    continuous spew without any air or space to breath. Even voice anbd singing is a different instrument we
    can learn and grow from. Take a cue from Prince, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Dave Grohl, and David Bowie.
    Get familiar with instruments not called "guitar."

6. Learn To Control Your Volume! If there is one thing I hear musicians get wrong the most it is this: volume. Either
    too loud or too quiet. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with playing with other people, and being curious about
    other intruments. We have to know where we fit in, and what our volume level in relation to the volume level
    of the other instruments is. Don't just pummel and blast people. That is not the way. Also don't be timid and meek.
    There is a fine and delicate balance at play, and constant course correction with volume is a thing. Grow to love
    fondling that volume control on your guitar. Make it your best friend. Trust me, your friends and fans will appreciate it. :)

7. Never Allow Mistakes To Become Roadblocks. Never! We all make them. We all will continue to make them. Just
    let them go. Seriously, move on. The faster the better. The guitarists I have played with in the past who could not let
    a mistake go and keep going literally quit. It's true. This is all mental. In order to get better and improve we need to
    NOT fixate on a mistake. It's just a moment and music is a series of moments. Stop the flow of moments to obsess
    on what went wrong and the music stops. Literally! No one died because you were sharp, flat, or a bit late too that
    change. Train keeps a rollin'!! :)

8. Live A Life Outside Of Music. Ok, I have to confess that I stole this one. This was something I read when I was young.
    If we have no life experience and have not lived, then we have literally don't have anything to bring to our music. Do
    things other than play music and it will feed your music. Cook. Have kids. Fall in love. Take a trip. Read, read, read! All
    of the things we do outside of music and/or playing guitar can really inspire and energize our playing. Think of all the
    great songs we still love to this day. It seems the one thing they all have in common is that they came from someone's
    actual experience. So, as Jimi reminded us, "Are You Experienced?" :)

9. Perform Live in Front Of People! Not sorry. :) This is where the rubber truly meets the road. You might get butterflies
    just thinking about it. It is definitely the hot seat. It can teach us so much about ourselves, and not just as musicians,
    but as people. It is like flying an actual plane versus the safety and security of a flight simulator. It is where we are forced
    to commit to parts. It is where we have to go all in. Of course, not everyone can or will, but I seriously believe it is one
    of the gauntlets that we all need to put ourselves through as musicians so we can test our mettle. It can be as simple as
    an "Open Mic" or as serious as a Massive Festival. The point is not where or how many people we perform live for, just
    that we do it. And like anything we do, the more we do it the more proficient we can become at it.
  10. Record Yourself. Simple as that. :) Find a way to hear how you sound and get familiar with it. It is easy to be delusional
    about ourselves (by either being too hard or too easy on ourselves). Delusion is never captured on tape, though. That
    is why it is the path to honesty as a musician. Hearing ourselves can be as harrowing as performing in front of other people.
    Both are wake up calls, and full of choices we have to commit to. With recording we get to hear our choices back. How we
    pick. Where we pick. What note we played, and what note we played after that. Was our vibrato too heavy? Did we bend to
    pitch properly. Are we squeezing the notes too much and constantly playing a tad sharp because of it? Are we too gainy?
    Not gainy enough. You get the idea. Capturing our playing on "tape," so to speak, is how we can best hear ourselves, and it
    is also how we can best share ourselves, apart from performing live.

Even though there is nothing specifically technical about any of these Principles, they have served me well, and I am pretty
    sure that I will keep returning to them again and again.

Curious if maybe you have any you have discovered, or have put into practice. :)

Last edited:
The road according to Tommy Emmanuel (from one oof his seminars I attended):

1) Practice, practice, practice
2) Keep Time with your Body/Movement (Feet, Head, etc.)
3) Record Yourself and Listen to the Recording

Others I have added:

4) Meet/greet and entertain your fans
5) Be a nice guy/gentleman w/your bandmates and fans
6) Inspire others by your conduct/demeanor
7) Criticize yourself and let others criticize themselves
8) Only offer inspirational opinions when they are solicited
9) Move on when your surrounded by a negative/controlling environment

These have always served me well...

Last edited:
Great list!!

One of the most important things I was taught by my HS band director was to LISTEN! Listen to the other players, to where the focus is supposed to be in the music at any given time, listen for places where you can fit in, and where you need to be supporting the music, and always listen to your volume to determine if you're too loud or too soft at certain times.

I remember adding some spillover-type delay to the chords I was playing in a song, but only towards the end of the song, then for the final build-up, I took those chords to a higher octave. The guys in the band really noticed, and were remarking that what I'd done really helped drive the song home. I told them that I'd been listening to how the song just seemed lack energy towards the end, that it was simply repeating itself without building up at all, and that I was looking for something to add, but without making what I was playing the focus, since it wasn't.

I'll add that it's important to know your own parts, as well as your dance steps (your foot-switching) really well, well enough that you can devote enough of your own focus on to what the music sounds like, and not just on how you sound, so that you can find, and then insert, those types of contributions to the song. I always try to remember that it's not about me. It's about the song first, and then, what I can do to make it as good as possible.

And I can always tell when I'm playing with other musicians who don't listen enough as they should.

Last edited:
This goes along with listening, but something I've always said - the easiest thing to play, is nothing. Yet that's surprisingly hard for a lot of people.

If the drums and bass are really grooving, I love the feeling of stepping back for a bit and just enjoying the moment. Let the groove go. Figure out the context of the musical conversation you're about to have and how you can best contribute, or if you even have the vocabulary to do so. Just because you're holding a guitar doesn't mean you need to make noise with it 100% of the time.

Another one in the context of song structure and crafting parts - a producer I work with fairly frequently calls it 'dropping the needle'. As in, your song is on a record, you put the needle down in a random spot in the song, you should be able to immediately tell which verse or which chorus it is. Do this by adding or subtracting instrumentation, changing the tone, maybe adding or subtracting drive or effects, playing different inversions, playing muted vs. open, and so on. But break out of the mindset of 'this is the verse part, this is the chorus part, that's just what I play'. Give each part of the song something unique to build and shape the arc of whatever the song is trying to say.

Last edited:
I'll add another, if I may: Take care of yourself.

Long ago I bought Petrucci's Rock Discipline video. I saw all of his warm-up stretches, etc. and thought it unnecessary. I might've continued to think that way, until this year when I've developed an awful case of tennis elbow. I don't play guitar for my living (thank heaven) but I was playing a lot, had started to take lessons; now I can't play a lick (so to speak), have suspended lessons...very depressing. And it's been weeks.

So be like JP: warm up, do stretches, etc. You just might regret it otherwise.

I'll add another, if I may: Take care of yourself.

Long ago I bought Petrucci's Rock Discipline video. I saw all of his warm-up stretches, etc. and thought it unnecessary. I might've continued to think that way, until this year when I've developed an awful case of tennis elbow. I don't play guitar for my living (thank heaven) but I was playing a lot, had started to take lessons; now I can't play a lick (so to speak), have suspended lessons...very depressing. And it's been weeks.

So be like JP: warm up, do stretches, etc. You just might regret it otherwise.

Yes. Great mention, and I am sorry you are dealing with that. That sucks.

I suffered nerve damage in my hand and wrist from over-training/playing
in my 20s and was forced to quit playing electric guitar for over 10 years.
Crushed me, because playing/gigging/teaching was my entire life at that
time. I could only strum cowboy chords on an acoustic from 1992 to 2004.
When I did start playing electric again I did so very cautiously.

I still have to watch what kinds of things I play (can't do any repetitive movements
like trills or 3 finger per string picking exercises). It all sucked, but it forced me to learn
other things (songwriting, drums, recording).

I hope you heal up and get to where you want to be. :)

Sorry for the crappy title. Yuk! Just wasn't sure what to call this list. And yeah,
hopefully not being presumptuous and pretentious with a list like this. It was just
fun to do as a thought experiment.
:)

Anyways, I was recently having a conversation with friends about playing guitar, and the
topic came up about what some of the keys to improvement might be. That led me to reflect
on my own 38 years of playing while drinking some beers last night. I ended up whittling it all
down to 10 elements that I have benefited from. Most of these are general principles, guideposts,
if you will. I realized that I have also circled back, at critical junctures, to each of these 10 principles
again and again. It also led me to see that these principles were never not in play in some way--
either as fundamentals to brush up on, goals to aspire to, or things to be inspired by. They are always
therefor me to (re)focus on or be inspired by. Even if I didn't know it until I thought about it, and then
wrote them all down.

Maybe you have a list of 10 elements or keys that have helped you. Here is mine. :)

1. Always Remember How Fun This Is, Because It Is! Our worst times playing music are when we
    are not enjoying ourselves. Non-enjoyment is also unsustainable. If we are not having fun,
    then we are not going to keep doing this. So fun, enjoyment, passion, and the pure delight
    and thrill of music, for me, is the most essential element of all.

2. Follow Your Heroes. No one blazes their own trail. No one has to. We all stand on the shoulders
    of giants, and even the giants stand on someone else's shoulders. Being inspired by that Mt.
    Rushmore of guitarists/musicians we admire can teach us so much. Learn from the best, your best,
    because they all have so much to teach us.
  3. Play With Other People, The Sooner The Better. Music is a team sport. Fuck the solo artist! :)
    Seriously! Community is at the core of music. Bands. Orchestras. Symphonies. Ensembles. Fans.
    Groupies. Buddies. It's easy to get fixated on ourselves and our own abilities (or lack thereof),
    and other people is where we can get out of that trap. Inspiring and learning from other people
    is really at the heart of our growth and development. Play with other people as soon as you can
    and then keep playing with other people (even when they piss you off, cause people!). Also, put
    yourself into the fray with different types of players. Grow your community, and join/start/feed a
    Music Mafia around you.

4. Tuning! Tuning! Tuning! Speaks for itself, doesn't it? Some may argue this is first, or should be. But
    I have had fun playing a tad out of tune and so did some of my heroes. Don't let tuning ruin a great
    moment! That being said, knowing how to play in tune---i.e., refining your touch, understanding pitch
    and intonation, are essential. Duh, right? Tuning and our ability to hear are related and mutually
    reinforce each other. Bad pitch can become an habit just as easily as good pitch. Knowing when we are
    "out of tune" and correcting it as quickly as possible are massive! And yes, most of us suck at it initially.

5. Be Curious About, Or Maybe Even Learn To Play, Another Instrument. I have a theory that the best
    musicians are not just focused and fixated on one instrument--even virtuosos are multi-instrumentalists.
    Other instruments can teach us so much about the relationship between different elements of music (rhythm,
    harmony, phrasing, placement in a mix). Drums can teach us how to phrase differently on a guitar. A brass
    or woodwind instrument can teach us that we need to breathe, and so maybe our guitar playing is not one
    continuous spew without any air or space to breath. Even voice anbd singing is a different instrument we
    can learn and grow from. Take a cue from Prince, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Dave Grohl, and David Bowie.
    Get familiar with instruments not called "guitar."

6. Learn To Control Your Volume! If there is one thing I hear musicians get wrong the most it is this: volume. Either
    too loud or too quiet. This kind of goes hand-in-hand with playing with other people, and being curious about
    other intruments. We have to know where we fit in, and what our volume level in relation to the volume level
    of the other instruments is. Don't just pummel and blast people. That is not the way. Also don't be timid and meek.
    There is a fine and delicate balance at play, and constant course correction with volume is a thing. Grow to love
    fondling that volume control on your guitar. Make it your best friend. Trust me, your friends and fans will appreciate it. :)

7. Never Allow Mistakes To Become Roadblocks. Never! We all make them. We all will continue to make them. Just
    let them go. Seriously, move on. The faster the better. The guitarists I have played with in the past who could not let
    a mistake go and keep going literally quit. It's true. This is all mental. In order to get better and improve we need to
    NOT fixate on a mistake. It's just a moment and music is a series of moments. Stop the flow of moments to obsess
    on what went wrong and the music stops. Literally! No one died because you were sharp, flat, or a bit late too that
    change. Train keeps a rollin'!! :)

8. Live A Life Outside Of Music. Ok, I have to confess that I stole this one. This was something I read when I was young.
    If we have no life experience and have not lived, then we have literally don't have anything to bring to our music. Do
    things other than play music and it will feed your music. Cook. Have kids. Fall in love. Take a trip. Read, read, read! All
    of the things we do outside of music and/or playing guitar can really inspire and energize our playing. Think of all the
    great songs we still love to this day. It seems the one thing they all have in common is that they came from someone's
    actual experience. So, as Jimi reminded us, "Are You Experienced?" :)

9. Perform Live in Front Of People! Not sorry. :) This is where the rubber truly meets the road. You might get butterflies
    just thinking about it. It is definitely the hot seat. It can teach us so much about ourselves, and not just as musicians,
    but as people. It is like flying an actual plane versus the safety and security of a flight simulator. It is where we are forced
    to commit to parts. It is where we have to go all in. Of course, not everyone can or will, but I seriously believe it is one
    of the gauntlets that we all need to put ourselves through as musicians so we can test our mettle. It can be as simple as
    an "Open Mic" or as serious as a Massive Festival. The point is not where or how many people we perform live for, just
    that we do it. And like anything we do, the more we do it the more proficient we can become at it.
  10. Record Yourself. Simple as that. :) Find a way to hear how you sound and get familiar with it. It is easy to be delusional
    about ourselves (by either being too hard or too easy on ourselves). Delusion is never captured on tape, though. That
    is why it is the path to honesty as a musician. Hearing ourselves can be as harrowing as performing in front of other people.
    Both are wake up calls, and full of choices we have to commit to. With recording we get to hear our choices back. How we
    pick. Where we pick. What note we played, and what note we played after that. Was our vibrato too heavy? Did we bend to
    pitch properly. Are we squeezing the notes too much and constantly playing a tad sharp because of it? Are we too gainy?
    Not gainy enough. You get the idea. Capturing our playing on "tape," so to speak, is how we can best hear ourselves, and it
    is also how we can best share ourselves, apart from performing live.

Even though there is nothing specifically technical about any of these Principles, they have served me well, and I am pretty
    sure that I will keep returning to them again and again.

Curious if maybe you have any you have discovered, or have put into practice. :)
I do not entirely agree with #2 "Follow your heroes". If you had to follow the example of musicians like Yngwie Malmsteen...

as a starter, you would not comply with most of the points kindly added by @favance
Others I have added:

4) Meet/greet and entertain your fans
5) Be a nice guy/gentleman w/your bandmates and fans
6) Inspire others by your conduct/demeanor
7) Criticize yourself and let others criticize themselves
8) Only offer inspirational opinions when they are solicited
9) Move on when your surrounded by a negative/controlling environment

These have always served me well...
And you would eat too many donuts :D

Last edited:
Yes. Great mention, and I am sorry you are dealing with that. That sucks.

I suffered nerve damage in my hand and wrist from over-training/playing
in my 20s and was forced to quit playing electric guitar for over 10 years.
Crushed me, because playing/gigging/teaching was my entire life at that
time. I could only strum cowboy chords on an acoustic from 1992 to 2004.
When I did start playing electric again I did so very cautiously.

I still have to watch what kinds of things I play (can't do any repetitive movements
like trills or 3 finger per string picking exercises). It all sucked, but it forced me to learn
other things (songwriting, drums, recording).

I hope you heal up and get to where you want to be. :)
Yikes!

I've got 2.

1. Sound good. Seems obvious, but as musicians, we get wrapped up with speed, scales, modes, etc. The songs that last for decades, are the simple ones.
2. Play slow at first, then play slower than that. I do this to warm up (I'm not young anymore), and this tricks my brain into being able to keep up when I unconsciously pick up speed later.

It took me years to figure out such simple steps. But I am happier playing within my limitations well, than playing beyond them badly.

Now that I think about it, these probably won't make me the best guitarist I can be, but they help me creatively and make me more content with the music I make.

Learning to sing to figure out lines/melodies helps a great deal for your overall musicianship (not to mention making you that much more employable) and helps you phrase better when doing leads.

Also, play with a metronome and don't ignore the rhythm aspect of guitar playing. 98% of the time you're playing rhythm and the best guitar players had a groovy right hand and a swing that gets your toe-tapping instantly IMO. I'm always bewildered at how many players completely ignore their rhythm playing and have absolutely no interest in developing that aspect. Some of those guys can shred like there's no tomorrow...but their playing is rigid, soulless, and very mechanical....it just doesn't swing...

To quote Malcolm Young in this matter:

When asked by the interviewer to explain the difference between rock bands and rock & roll bands, he replied, “Rock bands don’t really swing … a lot of rock is stiff. They don’t understand the feel, the movement, you know, the jungle of it all.

Focus on musical chemistry. Recognize when it's there and be reverent to that phenomenon; keep that sacred. If you realize it's not there, reconsider your circumstance. Music that's dead inside is not music.

Don't be a douche. Just be a good person, and don't take any shit. Be good to your bandmates, make sure they're good to you, and don't ever think anything in this is competition. Don't pose, don't pretend, don't be pretentious, don't try to show anyone up, don't be obnoxious. Just play what you feel and be authentic.

Be present, when you perform, when you rehearse, when you jam, when you record, when you practice. Don't think about your credit card bill. Think about the emotion you're working to put across. Think about the feel you have, the arc of the music. Try to lose yourself in the moment and forget about everything you've trained for, just let all that melt away.

Be an artist. Think of music as art. Remember the reason you wanted to play in the first place.

I have one that I don‘t see listed here, play along to recordings. You don’t need to “Xerox” the guitarplayer, but playing along to Zeppelin means Bonzo has got your back, play along to Rush and the professor himself is backing you up. On the LAD album by Iron Maiden you can dial out one of the guitars (because they’re panned hard left/right) and get a feel for their pocket by taking Dave’s or Adrian’s place. On early Van Halen albums you can actually (practically) dial out Eddie because of the same mixing strategy (although playing Eddie’s parts might be a tall order).
This will improve your sense of timing, especially when you play along to other recordings because nine out of ten they didn’t use a clicktrack. It is so important to be able to play “in the pocket” and go with the natural pulse of a performance. Really, I can’t stress this enough, being able to lock onto a pulse on the fly is gonna get you gigs.

^^ agreed with both of the above, there are benefits to both playing with a metronome and without. You will not always have that safety net or players with the same rhythmic discipline that you might go by, and you need to be able to break from that instinctively.

I'm doing a bunch of rhythm acoustic work for a local studio right now for tracks that were recorded without a click, the drummer is actually quite good, but the sessions were meant to be organic so there is some ebb and flow, rushed fills, etc. The acoustic tracks were just a crap piezo done as a guide for the rest of the band, and when the original guy went back in to track the mic'd acoustic, he was all over the place.*

I've worked with this rhythm section before so I've really been enjoying just sitting back and listening through a few times, then cutting the acoustic tracks at my place not watching the screen at all, just headphones on and picturing being in the session. At the point now where I can get the tracks 95% of the way there in one or two takes and the remainder might just be nudging stuff a little bit.

Leads are fun, but getting a solid rhythm track base is maybe the most rewarding part of a studio session for me. Nailing the feel, dynamics, timing (as it may be), etc. Listening for drum fills. Being able to overdub, even remotely, and still sound like a 'band'. That's great to be able to bring to the table and it's another thing (besides also doing keyboard parts) that helps get more of this kinda work besides just being a monster lead player.

*he actually couldn't care less if he's the one on the record playing guitar or not, he's a songwriter and lead singer that can hack his way through cowboy chords if needed. I did one track just to show him what it could sound like and he basically said, I don't care if I play a note on this album, the vocals are my thing, go ahead and make it sound badass. Challenge accepted 👍

I have one that I don‘t see listed here, play along to recordings. You don’t need to “Xerox” the guitarplayer, but playing along to Zeppelin means Bonzo has got your back, play along to Rush and the professor himself is backing you up. On the LAD album by Iron Maiden you can dial out one of the guitars (because they’re panned hard left/right) and get a feel for their pocket by taking Dave’s or Adrian’s place. On early Van Halen albums you can actually (practically) dial out Eddie because of the same mixing strategy (although playing Eddie’s parts might be a tall order).
This will improve your sense of timing, especially when you play along to other recordings because nine out of ten they didn’t use a clicktrack. It is so important to be able to play “in the pocket” and go with the natural pulse of a performance. Really, I can’t stress this enough, being able to lock onto a pulse on the fly is gonna get you gigs.
other = older

I like everything you said, but that last sentence won't work for me, since it was girls and showing up this other guitar player. (Just halfway kidding.)
I just wanted to play guitar, cuz it was the coolest instrument. But that was when I was 15. Reasons change, thankfully.

haha! Good point! I guess better advice would be "Remember why you play guitar."

How about learn how to practice PROPERLY. Hint: most don’t
And of the ones that dont, how many are still having fun? I think right now those that get the bug to be better can find the resources (and teachers) that reinforce your point. And it is a good point if your goal is to get very good.

Guitar is a hobby first. You dont have to monetize or be the best at your hobbie. See #1.

And of the ones that dont, how many are still having fun? I think right now those that get the bug to be better can find the resources (and teachers) that reinforce your point. And it is a good point if your goal is to get very good.

Guitar is a hobby first. You dont have to monetize or be the best at your hobbie. See #1.

Yup. Have that thing in your hands and it is going to work out. Mostly. :)

Once upon a time I had dozens of young guitar students and if I sucked
the fun out of it by getting them to focus like an adult and be committed
they just quit. It was the ones who had a deep, internal passion that was
self-driven that I could really tighten the focus on. But that was maybe
1 out of 10 or 20 students.

Back
Top Bottom