Top 5 AX8 amp models

skyhighrocks

Inspired
At the time I'm posting this, in no particular order....

1. The Friedmans
I just love the way his amps sound. Just wish they weren't so darn expensive!

2. 5153
I have the 50 watter and the model is pretty close.

3. Herbie
Especially the 2+. I'd always wanted to try a Herbert...for years...now I can...sort of. Playing hard rock rhythm on that model is THICK. Wow. I'm rethinking my whole rig strategy now.

4. Shiva Clean
Just what it's supposed to be...clean, chimy...and big sounding.

5. Jumped plexis
Can you tell I like playing hard rock? =)

your turn!

1) Marshall JS410 Joe Satriani Signature amp Orange & Red channels \m/ - Tons of sustain & it works great with Legato style playing.

2) Friedman Dirty Shirley, Small Box & HBE........Wow, wow & even more wow!!!!! I could get by with these 3-amp models alone.

3) USA Clean - The USA Clean & the different drive pedals goes a VERY long way for me. The AC Booster & the USA Clean are a match made on Heaven.

4) EVH 5153 Blue - Great Rock tones w/ a push & punch in the face that just feels right! :eek:

5) Bogner Ectasy - I need to post more clips of the stellar awesomeness that the Ectasy has to offer. You are my density! :D

Peace! X-Mann

1. Class-A 15W TB - The chimey amp that started the chimey amp revolution. Be sure to disable the hi cut completely, and turn the Bass down to 3-4.
  2. Wrecker Rocket - A tone so magical, it's a forbidden spell that you recite only once or twice per show.
  3. AC-20 - Perfect at stock settings with the factory cab.
  4. 5F8 Tweed - A classic vintage American tone stack with more hair. Also perfect at stock settings, and especially perfect with a Tele, spring reverb and woozy tremolo.
  5. 1987X - Dime a few of the knobs and your P90 bridge pup will transport you to Hair Metal Heaven.

Only had it for going on three weeks, but my five faves so far are:

Carol-Ann OD-2
Carol-Ann Triptik
Carol-Ann Tucana
Supertweed
Friedman BE

Guess you can kind of tell that I'm currently hooked on the C-A tones... wow!!

(Disclosure: the jumped Plexis almost made it on there...)

I see we have many different favourites - I live for the British flavour

AC30 normal or AC15 (mostly AC15) for crunchy cleans
Friedmann Dirty Shirley or Small Box (lately mostly Smallbox) for alround dirt and cleans (Shirley can get real funky)
JM45 Brit Jump (or whatever it's called) with KT88 tubes and EF86 preamp tubes. It has the most wonderful cleans.
CAE preamp - I use the rhythm channel for both clean and drive tones and switch to the lead channel for solos.
1987x (the re-issue of the 50W plexi - I actually prefer it over the old plexi). That thing can growl and sing like nobodys business.

Honourable mention FAS HotRod - Paired with a Marshall ModeFour IR (cabir.eu) it sounds MASSIVE - The brit silver is another favourite of mine.

For cleans:
Band-Commander
USA Pre Clean (VERY clean!)

For drive:
The Friedmans - duh!
USA Pre LD2 Ylw - the best (and easiest to dial in) Mesa gain flavour in the box IMO
The Cameron CCV models - great for Hi-gain rhythms

Back
Top Bottom