Too Obsessive About USB Choices?

I have used Fractal gear for a decade with anything ranging from "came with the unit" to "whatever suitable cable was closest". There is absolutely no need to look into buying some bullshit audiophile cable for USB.

Last edited:
OMG — I am SO in the wrong business. There’s a reason Noel Lee (Monster Cable) is worth more than $100 million. Kind of reminds me of walking down The Strip in Vegas, marveling at the incredible buildings there — obviously, there’s no profit in the gambling business.

Audioquest is flatly a ripoff no matter what you are doing. USB 2.0 is not anything fancy anyway. As far as Axe Fx cables, my primary concern is robustness. Monoprice and Amazon Basics cables have worked out well for me so far.

Some of you folks may recognize me from a couple other threads with regards to my newbie inquiries. So keeping in that same lane, I have another question which has sent me deep into another rabbit hole.

Regarding the USB 2.0 A to B connection, am I getting way too obsessive when I start looking at $200 cables?

https://www.audioadvice.com/audioquest-cinnamon-usb-a-to-b-digital-audio-cable-75m-1

$200? You're looking at their budget usb cable. Here's the one they sell to people who are serious about usb:

https://www.audioadvice.com/audioquest-coffee-usb-cable-1-5m

Regarding the USB 2.0 A to B connection, am I getting way too obsessive when I start looking at $200 cables?
I've been using a 15' USB A-B cable I bought online from Walmart since I bought my Axe-Fx II, nearly 10 years ago. I think I paid $15-20 CDN for it.

Last edited:
Some of you folks may recognize me from a couple other threads with regards to my newbie inquiries. So keeping in that same lane, I have another question which has sent me deep into another rabbit hole.

https://www.audioadvice.com/audioquest-cinnamon-usb-a-to-b-digital-audio-cable-75m-1
If they have a return policy, try it and see. I’m a fan of Analysis Plus guitar cables, they patented their oval geometry conductor design. I certainly hear a difference between their cables and Whirlwind. I tried their lowest price purple AC cable with my JCM800 and noticed wider frequency response and better dynamics. Their usb is less than audioquest…

If they have a return policy, try it and see. I’m a fan of Analysis Plus guitar cables, they patented their oval geometry conductor design. I certainly hear a difference between their cables and Whirlwind. I tried their lowest price purple AC cable with my JCM800 and noticed wider frequency response and better dynamics. Their usb is less than audioquest…
USB cables are not going to deliver different quality audio...

It's only sending 0s and 1s... ;)

Last edited:
Even if... IF... USB cable quality translated into audio quality (spoiler: it doesn't)... if a double-blind test found it impossible to reliably tell the difference between the most expensive "quality" speaker wire and a friggin' wire coat hanger... I don't know what else to tell you.

It's your money. Roll it up and light it on fire if you want 🤷‍♂️

[…]Regarding the USB 2.0 A to B connection, am I getting way too obsessive when I start looking at $200 cables?

Probably. It depends, like so many other things. Are you using it on stage professionally and can you afford two, one as a backup? Or, do you abuse your cable? If so, buy the very best.

I run several that are the maximum USB cable length but are not like military grade, but they’re plenty good for the occasional, random, shakes from my computer to their port.

Keep the length at or below the specification, and don’t trip on the cable or kick the connection, and you should be good.

USB cables are not going to deliver different quality audio...

It's only sending 0s and 1s... ;)
I’ve heard differing opinions on this, I figured the Analysis Plus is not that expensive and at least made better than a $10 one.

There are multiple factors in how a wire conducts any type of signal. I’m trying to put together a new monitor system which uses 2 Neumann 750 subs and need to breakout a SPIDF stereo pair into two pairs so I can use them in true stereo. I’ve been told by Neumann you have to be very careful with this because if the ohmage and level of the signal is not within specs, the digital input may not function properly. So if a slight drop in gain or impedance can negatively affect a SPIDF signal and it’s reading on input, I’m sure USB signals have similar spec requirements which may be adhered to more or less well depending on the quality of cable used…

Back
Top Bottom