Too amp like????

X-Mann

Experienced
Guys,

I've been a amp modeling guy for a VERY long time & just love the compression, sustain & tightness of a Hot Rodded Marshall type tone.

While I've had a few very cool tube amps (5153, Legacy, etc), I'm very much use to what an amp modeling device does & I like that it sounds like as a finished/processed/end tone with FX, just like on a recording.

I find the AX8 can be almost TOO AMP LIKE at times from what I'm use to hearing.

This is where you guys might laugh at me, but I have a real question here & I might not be using the right terminology either.

How do I get a more compressed amp tone? I just want to know if there's a magic knob in the power section or if it's too much of the Depth control or what I can do to get a less raw/tube amp like tone?

I love the Raw Amp tones, but my ears are just not use to them & I want to dial in that sweet spot where Raw meets a more processed/compressed or tighter tone.

Sorry if I'm not doing a great job explaining all of this & I'd love to talk with anyone that gets what I'm saying here. I'm only talking about for distorted amp tones & not clean tones at this time.

Thanks in advance for the help & info.

X

I hear ya and agree. Some ampmodels are stupid close. I'm fighting the Engl Savage at the moment and right now switching cabs around is the closest I've gotten to a solution.

I hear ya and agree. Some ampmodels are stupid close. I'm fighting the Engl Savage at the moment and right now switching cabs around is the closest I've gotten to a solution.
Yes, I've found that the IR used is a HUGE factor, but I'm still thinking that I'm totally missing something very simple here.

Is there a bunch of stuff I can just roll down to ZERO? I'm thinking DEPTH & maybe a bunch of POWER AMP related things?

I will be doing some tests tonight & just want to know if some tone guru can help a brother out.

X

There are as many factors as there are amp models. No magic switch will work for all I believe. Which model are you fighting at the moment ?

Might be stunningly obvious, but have you used the OUTPUT COMP settings in the AMP block (under Dynamics tab.)
I read a thread yesterday & started messing with this a bit, but haven't found the right settings. Do you have any settings to try or tips on what knobs do what exactly?

I've got some very good sounds & I am loving what I've created. I just wondered what other guys thoughts were on this & maybe it's just my ears & not knowing most of these amp models.

I've been using the CAE3+ amps a lot & I'm loving what they do as well as the Triaxis Red & JS410 amps.

I'm just trying to gain some knowledge here......& get some insight.

Thanks again, X

PS - I'm not having any problems getting the tones I'm talking about direct to a DAW, just through the PA & for live use.

I read a thread yesterday & started messing with this a bit, but haven't found the right settings. Do you have any settings to try or tips on what knobs do what exactly?

not really...just fiddle with all the knobs in the Dynamics tab and use the ol' ears.

I've got some very good sounds & I am loving what I've created. I just wondered what other guys thoughts were on this & maybe it's just my ears & not knowing most of these amp models.

I've been using the CAE3+ amps a lot & I'm loving what they do as well as the Triaxis Red & JS410 amps.

I'm just trying to gain some knowledge here......& get some insight.

Thanks again, X

PS - I'm not having any problems getting the tones I'm talking about direct to a DAW, just through the PA & for live use.

I would also suggest the Carol-Ann triptik and Tucana models for smooth lead tones

I would also suggest the Carol-Ann triptik and Tucana models for smooth lead tones
Thanks Brad!

I understand that each amp model is different, I just don't fully understand what every amp knob/setting does. The area that I want to change/adjust might be under a knob or area I don't know about. I should probably save off the few song presets & really do some testing in the power amp section & the dynamics section.

I feel that I'm very close...........& maybe I'll post some clips or video of my AX8 Cover Band Rigs soon.

I'm writing down all of these ideas & tips......& please know, I appreciate them all. It might be that I got use to the sound of my past modeler from using it for so long too! :eek::p

After some reading of the manual here at work this morning (cough, cough), I think it might be the NEGITIVE FEEDBACK knob on the power amp page that I need to mess around with?

Peace! X

Thanks Brad!

I'm writing down all of these ideas & tips......& please know, I appreciate them all. It might be that I got use to the sound of my past modeler from using it for so long too! :eek::p

Peace! X
....Why I chose to keep my Helix that I seldom use...sometimes ya just wanna hear some nice Line 6 articficiality..............

I'm fighting the Engl Savage at the moment and right now switching cabs around is the closest I've gotten to a solution.

That is one of the best models in the Fractal line... It's authentic as h3ll, my buddy has one and it's spot on.

To the OP X, I would say start playing with the compressor blocks in front of the amp. Check out the factory presets where some of the compressor really squish the amp's full capabilities of being wide open. I personally enjoy that raw tone without any digital (ironic) compression. I'm confident you can find what you're looking for mate ;)

Transformer Match
Preamp Comp
Negative Feedback
Awesome, awesome & more awesome!!!!!

Thanks B & I'm going to look into these & what the manual says next.

Have you been changing these a lot? Or......Do you have any settings or thoughts on how they interact?

X

Awesome, awesome & more awesome!!!!!

Thanks B & I'm going to look into these & what the manual says next.

Have you been changing these a lot? Or......Do you have any settings or thoughts on how they interact?

X

I change transformer match on every preset.

I don't use the other settings but have seen them discussed.

Also try turning the low res and high res to zero on the amp block spkr page. I've seen some users like that for tight metal.

I would try the hardness controls in the power and pre pages.

Also for high gain to make things much less realistic, I've been using the saturation knob set to ideal instead of input drive.

Good luck.

That is one of the best models in the Fractal line... It's authentic as h3ll, my buddy has one and it's spot on.

To the OP X, I would say start playing with the compressor blocks in front of the amp. Check out the factory presets where some of the compressor really squish the amp's full capabilities of being wide open. I personally enjoy that raw tone without any digital (ironic) compression. I'm confident you can find what you're looking for mate ;)
Yea, I understand that I might be going the opposite way then some of you guys, but I just want to take a little of the edge off a few of the models.......or at least know how to control this kind of thing.

Again, the Fractal community comes through like a CHAMP again.....& I'm grateful for this place & you guys.

Tim

I change transformer match on every preset.

Um....Ok......&.....ah.......I'm NOT a smart Mann, so help me out here!

What does this do & what are the choices here? You are actually changing the matched amps transformer to a different one?

Very cool & I'll give this a try or at least check it out. Are you setting this to a favorite one....or?

X

Um....Ok......&.....ah.......I'm NOT a smart Mann, so help me out here!

83675-Im-not-a-smart-man-gif-Imgur-F-W5IO.gif

Couldn't resist X... :D

Back
Top Bottom