Tonex Pedal will change the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowleri

Inspired
More companies will follow suit by offering more affordable options, thus forcing the modeler/profiler kings to reconsider their prices.

All popular physical modelers for many years have been over $1500-2500.

We're at a point in the time where more companies will provide more affordable options, new modeler pedals, racks, and boxes at affordable prices under $1000 if not $500

Why buy a $1800 Quad Cortex or Kemper when a $399 Tonex can sound almost as good?

Options were limited before, it was either software plugins or all the way to $1500+ modelers.

The great equalizer is about to come. More companies will come out with new physical modelers to compete with the big boys, offering more options to the average Joe. Now the bigger companies will have to work harder to earn Joe's money.

This is the greatest time to be a guitarist. The landscape of expensive modelers may change with the new arrival of affordable competitors who can offer very similar tones and features at a fraction of the price.

Tonex is good if you already have a particular rig and want to take a "snapshot" of it for convenient use later. Very little worth for me, otherwise.

ToneX accurately models amps that have been left outside all winter under a tarp and then accidentally dropped down 3 flights of stairs on the way to the pawn shop.

Why buy a $1800 Quad Cortex or Kemper when a $399 Tonex can sound almost as good?
Because those other modelers/profilers have way more options for a gigging musician.

Tonex pedal is very limited and one important thing, IT CANT CAPTURE/PROFILE AMPS.

The ToneX pedal is a really good unit, but let’s be honest here. It is only good as a standalone unit if the only effects you use are compression and reverb. To that end, it’s a solid choice for a compact, bare bones backup rig.
To compare It to any other modeling unit, be it Fractal, Kemper, Line6, or whatever, you have to take into account the fact that it needs additional hardware to handle the effects. Now you’re pricing yourself well away from that $399…

Fractal, Line6 etc are not just amp modelers, but also high quality effects boxes. If you were to buy Tonex + equivalent quality fx you are going to quickly end up in similar prices as those all-in-one boxes.

The Tonex app to me was so bad that it put me off from buying the pedal. It sounds good, but it's just incredibly poorly designed. The captures have also been spammed full of Kemper profiles turned into Tonex captures.

The problem with all these capture tools is that they each do things a bit differently so they are not compatible with each other, so each manufacturer has their own captures, 3rd party vendors need to do them for all these systems etc. Until there's a unified capture format (e.g Neural Amp Modeler), it's likely to become an even bigger wild west once the Chinese companies start flooding cheap capture players on the market.

For me capture tech is great if you have your own favorite amps and want to package those sounds into a compact digital box. But otherwise I want my amps to operate like their real world counterparts and captures can't do that.

It was also released over a year ago... not seeing any sweeping market changes yet.

It fills a small gap in the market, for the old-school tube guys who “Want an amp simulator that does’t have all them effects I’ll never use.” Basically, not the people you’ll find ‘round these parts.

To me the truth is that all those tonex and co things gonna be raw eaten by companies like mooer in 5 years.

They will sell exactly the same quality for half of the price.

More companies will follow suit by offering more affordable options, thus forcing the modeler/profiler kings to reconsider their prices.

The great equalizer is about to come.

Just out of curiosity which Fractal modeler do you own?

Here is my guess you don't own any Fractal products. You play plugins that you downloaded illegally from a torrent like you said in this post:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/if-you-play-at-home-plugin-or-modeler-is-all-you-need.199072/

Just a guess on my part but ... ;)

If I am wrong you have my humble apology. But your posts seem kinda off.

Last edited:
You write about affordability or Joe’s money…

I have seen a lot of Joes that decide that a FAS or QC product is too expensive but will buy a variety products like the Helix, Boss GX-100, NUX, and more. After spending the lots of $$$ that equal the amount of a FM3, FM9, or QC state they still can’t find their sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom