Tonewood doesn’t matter

That needed saying. The phrase “tone wood” gets raised as a straw man by people who like to stoke the fire and watch it burn. There is no kind of wood that's officially designated as “tone wood” except by some guitar maker’s advertising literature.

when I say tone wood I am referring to the wood (and types of wood) that is traditionally used in guitar building; mahogany, alder, ash, maple, ebony, rosewood to name the most popular, and treated, cut and selected for this purpose.
I think that's what we're discussing. And the fact that there's people insisting that it doesn't matter if you mount magnetic pickups on a wet towel instead. (there's your straw man BTW)

One of the things I've really enjoyed lately is seeing how some manufacturers and builders are starting to use more "non-traditional" woods and other materials. I'm not sure I'm ready to embrace synthetics (just me personally), not that there's anything wrong with using them, but I love seeing bodies, necks, and fretboards made from things other than maple, mahogany, and rosewood. I think there is a great potential for some unique, great sounding, and beautiful instruments and that sounds like an exciting prospect to me. I think it also emphasizes the importance of the builder being able to work with the given material to bring out its best qualities. Doesn't always make for easy mass-manufacturing, but I applaud the bigger companies that are taking the initiative.

the bass market has been much more adventurous in that regard. With some great results

the bass market has been much more adventurous in that regard. With some great results

Yeah, they really have. And I've always been a little envious of that, too. (First step of Guitarists Anonymous is admitting that I have a problem, right??? 😜 )

when I say tone wood I am referring to the wood (and types of wood) that is traditionally used in guitar building...
Right. That’s because manufacturers like to use “tone wood” to make their materials sound cool, as if it were some kind of actual designation — theses kinds of wood are tone wood, and these kind pads aren’t. Guitarists see the phrase “tone wood,” and they figure it must mean something, so they apply whatever definition they think is correct. To you, it means only those species that were traditionally used for guitar building. To others, the definition is different. Some include nontraditional woods that they think could be designated as tone wood.

Behind all this is the assumption that some woods are tone wood and some aren’t, and that’s just wrong.

Right. That’s because manufacturers like to use “tone wood” to make their materials sound cool, as if it were some kind of actual designation — theses kinds of wood are tone wood, and these kind pads aren’t. Guitarists see the phrase “tone wood,” and they figure it must mean something, so they apply whatever definition they think is correct. To you, it means only those species that were traditionally used for guitar building. To others, the definition is different. Some include nontraditional woods that they think could be designated as tone wood.

Behind all this is the assumption that some woods are tone wood and some aren’t, and that’s just wrong.

is it? What's framing timber?

Is that also hollow marketing buzz word?

Why are we still talking about this?

Because we can and there’s nothing that can stop it or no one who can say otherwise.

If you got a problem with it then have fun worrying about something you can’t control.

Including me or what others have to say.

Some do it for the fun , the trolling aspect , genuine interest in knowing more etc

If you blindly follow and believe in something and never think for yourself to ask the why then…. You do you.

Even if it’s something as a first world problem of “does wood affect the guitar tone”

Oh and this is a discussion thread

The cognitive bias , The curse of knowledge look it up not everyone knows what you might know about tonewood

Hence the discussion and letting people form an opinion for themselves of their version of the truth

Lastly this isn’t an attack but hopefully comes across as a friendly reply

Last edited:
to be fair: a moderator could put a quick end to this

I get your point, but about tonewood hopefully not!

I like to see the different perspectives of say “it’s just a masketing buzzword” to the science

it’s not like we’re talking about religion, politics or whatever is taboo in typical forums

But moderator can obviously do as they please if someone escalates to play keyboard warrior

🤔 Ok here goes

My view is that wood is an incredibly inconsistent medium sonically. It's organic, and ultimately as random and unique as anything else living, or once living.

So with that in mind, as long as you're going to buy a guitar that used to be a chunk of a tree somewhere, you gotta realize that it's ultimately unpredictable. Everything about the material and construction of an instrument is going to contribute to how it feels, and with solid hardwood instruments, each one is ultimately going to be unique. You can pick up two copies of the exact same model guitar, made from the same tree, with everything else being the same (hardware, electronics, etc), and one will just have "it", and the other will be lifeless.

Yeah, ultimately when you record two different guitars with the same pickups those differences might fade away, but you're missing so much of the experience of playing a guitar with that. A ton of "tone" comes from how we play (the "fingers" so to speak), and that is very much informed by that feedback loop of feeling the instrument react to your playing. That's something a pickup can never really communicate by itself, it requires the player.

But IMO, that's the beauty of these things: finding a good guitar is like finding a lover. You need one that responds to your touch, that feeds back that same energy. Playing a guitar that matches you is an intensely personal and almost intimate experience, in my opinion. And when you find one that's a good match, it's like finding a good partner. You just know. Millions of little bits of sensory inputs that defy quantification leading to an unmistakeable and undeniable emotional connection.

Because that's all music is: passion.

I can't really comment on these other non-wood material guitars tho, this is just my experience from 30 years plucking various planks of painted wood.

🤔 Ok here goes

My view is that wood is an incredibly inconsistent medium sonically. It's organic, and ultimately as random and unique as anything else living, or once living.

So with that in mind, as long as you're going to buy a guitar that used to be a chunk of a tree somewhere, you gotta realize that it's ultimately unpredictable. Everything about the material and construction of an instrument is going to contribute to how it feels, and with solid hardwood instruments, each one is ultimately going to be unique. You can pick up two copies of the exact same model guitar, made from the same tree, with everything else being the same (hardware, electronics, etc), and one will just have "it", and the other will be lifeless.

Yeah, ultimately when you record two different guitars with the same pickups those differences might fade away, but you're missing so much of the experience of playing a guitar with that. A ton of "tone" comes from how we play (the "fingers" so to speak), and that is very much informed by that feedback loop of feeling the instrument react to your playing. That's something a pickup can never really communicate by itself, it requires the player.

But IMO, that's the beauty of these things: finding a good guitar is like finding a lover. You need one that responds to your touch, that feeds back that same energy. Playing a guitar that matches you is an intensely personal and almost intimate experience, in my opinion. And when you find one that's a good match, it's like finding a good partner. You just know. Millions of little bits of sensory inputs that defy quantification leading to an unmistakeable and undeniable emotional connection.

I can't really comment on these other non-wood material guitars tho, this is just my experience from 30 years plucking various planks of painted wood.

I thank you for your perspective and damn am I glad I asked.

I can tell or atleast view you that you love the instrument , that is the guitar!

I genuinely, wholeheartedly applaud (not only because you agree with me … I think ) at what you wrote..

Yours is a much more beautiful and better way of what I was talking about with such nuance to make me nearly tear up … no lie

Excellent analogy as to finding that “one”

I dare anyone to say otherwise that tonewood doesn’t matter , your perspective is also welcome 😃

is it? What's framing timber?

Is that also hollow marketing buzz word?
I've seen timber framing. I've seen framing lumber. But I've never seen "framing timber," so I don't know what that is.

But whatever it is, it's irrelevant to the current discussion. Ask me again when your local lumber yard starts selling "tone 2x4's." :)

Last edited:
🤔 Ok here goes

I don't disagree, I just want to comment on one point: "wood is an incredibly inconsistent medium sonically. It's organic, and ultimately as random and unique as anything else living, or once living."

This is true, but that doesn't mean that we can't make predictions with some degree of accuracy based on experience. Will every piece of Maple used in a guitar always sound brighter and have faster attack than any piece of Mahogany? No. But in probably > 90 % of cases.

Living things are unique. But still most fish don't fly and most cows don't taste like chicken. Predictably.

I've seen timber framing. I've seen framing lumber. But I've never seen "framing timber," so I don't know what that is.

But whatever it is, it's irrelevant to the current discussion. Ask me again when your local lumber yard starts selling "tone 2x4's."

my local Bunnings is selling framing timber. Have a look:

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/products/building-hardware/timber/framing-timber

the relevance to the current discussion is that a type of wood might be categorized based on its application. Not necessarily to sound 'cool'.

I don't disagree, I just want to comment on one point: "wood is an incredibly inconsistent medium sonically. It's organic, and ultimately as random and unique as anything else living, or once living."

This is true, but that doesn't mean that we can't make predictions with some degree of accuracy based on experience. Will every piece of Maple used in a guitar always sound brighter and have faster attack than any piece of Mahogany? No. But in probably > 90 % of cases.

Living things are unique. But still most fish don't fly and most cows don't taste like chicken. Predictably.

That's a valid rebuttal, for sure. Although I'm not sure I've ever really seen "brighter" and "faster attack" objectively measured. But that's an entirely different can of worms we can save for another thread haha. There are definite categories of characteristics that are common across species, I think.

I just think at the end of the day we don't have the necessary tools to accurately remove variables to answer the question , objectively and with numerical values applied to whatever we're measuring (but that's a whole nother can of worms)

and to add to that , a "better" question would be how much does tone wood affect the tone

and not apply a black and white thinking (psychology term and not a race thing FYI) but see it as a spectrum or a ratio

Back
Top Bottom