Tonewood doesn’t matter

phil92

Experienced
Don’t ask me why I let myself get sucked into arguments on the internet, I can’t explain it. And this one in particular really rubs me the wrong way.

So many people stating wood selection in guitars makes no sonic difference whatsoever ‘because the pickups are magnetic and not a microphone’.

The flat earthers of guitardom will defend their errors tooth and nail. There’s no getting through.

It's just the internet, and just some folk always think they're right and don't consider some people have different opinions.

I've had this discussion with someone. I have a walnut strat and an alder bodied strat, both have the same Van Zandt bridge pickup.
One sounds warmer and fatter and the other sounds more punchy. Bloke on the internet says they sound the same as they have the same pickups in.
He'd never seen or heard these guitars and is telling me what I can easily tell isn't true.

So, I just let folk spout whatever they want

Don’t ask me why I let myself get sucked into argument...
likewise, as evidenced by the post I'm writing: This has got to be thee most tired, beaten to f#%king death, saddest, dumbest, over discussed, under substantiated, unproductive, time wasting, old mule of a subject matter on planet guitar talk. So there. Now where's that new fangled "hide thread" thingy.😛

Last edited:
Don’t ask me why I let myself get sucked into arguments on the internet, I can’t explain it. And this one in particular really rubs me the wrong way.

So many people stating wood selection in guitars makes no sonic difference whatsoever ‘because the pickups are magnetic and not a microphone’.

The flat earthers of guitardom will defend their errors tooth and nail. There’s no getting through.
BTW its too early in the year to make a "new" thread about this.

likewise, as evidenced by the post I'm writing: This has got to be thee most tired, beaten to f#%king death, saddest, dumbest, over discussed, under substantiated, unproductive, time wasting, old mule of a subject matter on planet guitar talk. So there. Now where's that new fangled "hide thread" thingy.😛
I know where it is!
Bye, here anyway.

A guitar’s way of construction/design is a big factor IMO

Everything affects everything in a guitar - Paul Reed Smith

Technically, I would agree to this if you look at it at an atomic level like …different wood mediums transferring vibrational energy or the metal medium for the magnetic fields interacting with each other.

But practically, whether (insert guitar part here) perceptively changes the tone to be perceivable to the human senses to it’s minimum threshold….thats to each their own as we are all different…

Hence the arguments… but mini passage over

Red herring. The weird assertion is that acoustic "tone woods" are somehow automatically better in solid body electric guitars than materials not traditionally used for acoustic instruments. And dear gods, not again...

Last edited:
You could build a guitar out of recycled pallets, put 2 humbuckers in it and voila! Instant Les Paul tone 🤣
I think Les used a 4x4, if memory serves....

A vintage 4x4 for thick tone. Not one of these modern day 4x4 thingies that are more like 3.5x3.5....

Even the way you cut the wood matters.
How and how much it is dried, too....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom