Tone Matching

Hi All,

I've tried in vain to Tone Match with the Axe FX 3. The only instructions I see for Tone Match points to the Axe FX 2, but the menus on the Axe FX 3 are different, like what is "Solo Reference"? I didn't seem to need to hit the solo reference button to get the reference signal into the Axe FX3.

I've imported a reference signal and I've played my guitar in the preset as a local signal. Now I have reference on the left and local on the right. So far so good. On the videos showing the Axe 2 Tone Matching, the "enter" button is hit and "Hocus Pocus" the tones are matched, but when I hit the "match" button on the Axe FX 3, I get nothing.

If anyone out there has successfully Tone Matched using the Axe FX 3 could you please give some kind of instructions using the actual Axe FX 3 menus?. :(

Thanks,
Party Pooper

I tone matched an acoustic tone, dont remember the steps, but i remember it wasn't that much different if at all from the II.

As you pointed out, the button that replaces "ENTER" in the previous process is "MATCH", found on the push function of soft knob "D"
Once you capture the reference and the local, press MATCH.
I can't explain why your result is not being heard. Do you see the tone match data on the CONFIG page?
Have you routed signal correctly on the grid?

I personally apologize that my project to update the Axe-Fx III Tone Match Mini Manual has stalled. I will get this going again as soon as possible. This is a very busy time!

To answer your very specific question, "Solo Ref" on the III is the same as "Ref Solo" on the II. This mutes the signal at the input of the tone match block and passes whatever you have set up as the reference signal to the output of the tone match block. You would usually use this with a footswitch to COMPARE your preset to a live amp.

Last edited:
I'd like the ability to "clear out" a tone match. Resetting the block does not clear out the tone match.

Back
Top Bottom