Tone Matching USB Question

willowdale

Fractal Fanatic
We dont seem to have the option to load a clip of ourselves to the user slot using USB. Why is this?

I want to have the option to load the reference clip into my DAW and then record myself on another track playing along perfectly in time with the reference clip. Then just direct the reference clip as well as my clip to their proper sections in the tone matching block thru the USB.

Is there not a way to load a user clip to the user slot using USB ?? Am I missing something??

If I'm correct and this can't currently be done, then Cliff I want you to please add this feature pronto!! lol

But this should in no way delay the release of 6.01 (I want my 5150 III ) lol

And the 10 seconds you're saving if you could do it this way is going to do what? I'm trying to grasp the benefit from doing it this way aside from adding five extra seconds to one's life. Not trying to get snarky, just to understand so enlighten us please. If there is a clear and defined benefit I'm on board.

This has nothing to do with saving time as it will actually take longer. The benefit can be better matches!

Import the reference clip into your DAW with a 4 click intro count, then on a separate track record your clip in perfect time(as humanly possible) with reference. Using your DAW is also the best way to get the volume of both clips equal to each other, plus making sure everything is mono etc......

Then simply export reference & user clips thru USB to the Tone Match block to finish the match. Currently this is not possible because the user/local section of the TMB cannot be loaded using USB, only the reference can.

Having the reference & user clip totally in sync like this can make for better results. It would be nice to have the option and it shouldn't be a big deal to add this for the user/local channel.

Secret80'sMan
I hope you will use your new enlightened self to do great things! lol

Last edited:
I guess you could do it this way now: switch main input source to USB, place tone match block in first column, set ref source to "block in".

This has nothing to do with saving time as it will actually take longer. The benefit can be better matches!

Import the reference clip into your DAW with a 4 click intro count, then on a separate track record your clip in perfect time(as humanly possible) with reference. Using your DAW is also the best way to get the volume of both clips equal to each other, plus making sure everything is mono etc......

Then simply export reference & user clips thru USB to the Tone Match block to finish the match. Currently this is not possible because the user/local section of the TMB cannot be loaded using USB, only the reference can.

Having the reference & user clip totally in sync like this can make for better results. It would be nice to have the option and it shouldn't be a big deal to add this for the user/local channel.

Secret80'sMan
I hope you will use your new enlightened self to do great things! lol

just an fyi, timing is irrelevant to matching.

just an fyi, timing is irrelevant to matching.

just a fyi,

I think you'll have a hard time convincing anyone that has matched tones using Ozone over the years, that having both clips perfectly synced makes no difference!

Playing the same part as the reference with the same timing can make a big difference!

Ask Clark Kent if it makes a difference, and also ask Cliff why he uses a Y cable when doing his Amp Matching(it's not just for convenience)

Last edited:
Yeah... dunno if it's the same thing on the Axe-Fx tone matching but at least in Ozone it's best to play with the same timing. It will most likely sound "close enough" to most people even though you time it badly. Anyways.... sustaining a note for too long when compared to the original track will make the matching less accurate. Sustaining a note for too long will punctuate the note in the middle frequencies which will most likely lead to a middle bump or scoop depending on the note. Muting or unmuting at the wrong time will make it less accurate also. If you want extremely accurate matches you have to pay attention to the smallest detail. Pay attention to "how hard should I pick" / "how long should I sustain notes" etc.

You know... there are many throaty sounding tone matches on the forum and that's exactly what happens when the matched playing wasn't accurate enough. Well... that's just my standards. You might be okay with your results and there's nothing wrong in that. Personally I just feel like if I'm going through the trouble of match EQing it'll take me 1min to do it 100% properly. I'll use that minute for sure.

Back
Top Bottom