Tone matching clean sounds

kavevester

Inspired
Need to ask cause I'm not sure. Dos Tone Match in firmware 6.0 only match the drive/gain of a tone or is it possible to match clean sounds as well? ex. - David Gilmour, who might have a certain amount of drive, but his clean rythm I would like to match the sound.

Less drive = less possibility to match????

Last edited:
Good question. I think that it has been verified that all of these types of devices that profile/match seem to do better with gain and distortion.

To clarify, the Axe tonematch does not match the drive/gain, it just seems to do a better job in matching with high gain sounds.

The reason for this is, in my understanding, that a distorted sound has a richer and thicker structure in overtones that is easier to "bend" to another frequeny curve in comparison to a cleaner sound that has fewer overtones.

I've tried tone matching a couple of clean tones that I like (ironically from a software modeller!!)...

The results have been OK, but not great. I am going to try and spend a bit more time redoing them, and do them again under 6.01 to see if I can get better results.

I think it also has something to do with our own ears - the fact that in driven tones may be harder to differentiate subtle differences in frequency than on clean tones.

You can definately tweak clean sounds with a 31 band EQ to get pretty close thus my request in the wishes section.

I spent literally 5 minutes trying to match the intro to 18 & Life and the results were surprisingly accurate.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom