Tone Matching and Fabfilter Pro Q3

oacikgoz

Inspired
I was experimenting with this new eq match feature in fabfilter pro q3.

Did anyone do a comparison of this feature with the built in tone match? Looks like it’s working under similar principles.

In a few tries my jaw dropped at the accuracy of the end result, but again, I did not do a scientific comparison to judge which one is “better”. It sounded like it’s also picking up subtleties of other effects like compression, but I’m not sure how.

It also has this great feature of taking a tone match and exporting settings for a k-band parametric eq to approximate the tone. obviously the higher the k, the more accurate the match. I have a feeling tone match in axe fx should be more than capable of doing this. Maybe another feature for the wishlist?

Thats really cool.. Ive never played with the stand alone version (I assume thats what youre using). Ive only ever used the DAW version in Logic. And I dont believe that version will do that.

It is one of the best dynamic EQs ive used for sure.

Sure, ProQ3 will do EQ/Tone Match (at least it does inside Reaper) - The stock Logic EQ also does EQ match.

When you apply smoothing to the tone match, you are essentially reducing the number of bands (k). Can ProQ3 export an IR directly? I never noticed such a feature. Melda's MFreeFormEQ can do a tone match and export an IR. That seems to work very similar to the ToneMatch in the Axe.

That gives good results, but you'll generally get better results from the Axe-FX TM because of the better resolution compared to ProQ3. You can get even better results from an IR you shoot then import into the Axe-FX IR player. Do your tone match with whatever (There are many plugins that can do that, Ozone, Equivicate, etc.), shoot an IR of the match EQ with something like MLSTool, then import that IR into an IR player block. Alternatively, MFreeform can even do a tone match and export the IR directly without the need to shoot the IR.

Sure, ProQ3 will do EQ/Tone Match (at least it does inside Reaper) - The stock Logic EQ also does EQ match.

When you apply smoothing to the tone match, you are essentially reducing the number of bands (k). Can ProQ3 export an IR directly? I never noticed such a feature. Melda's MFreeFormEQ can do a tone match and export an IR. That seems to work very similar to the ToneMatch in the Axe.
YES!! Thank you. I found it and tried it. As well i found out how to do it in Fabfilter too. So easy...

MFreeformEQ can even do a tone match and export the IR directly without the need to shoot the IR.
Agreed. I did a personal shootout and MFreeform was the closest for me when I did a null test. Bonus that it exports as an IR right from the plugin. Cabinetron did well, Fabfilter and Ozone weren't bad by any means.

That gives good results, but you'll generally get better results from the Axe-FX TM because of the better resolution compared to ProQ3. You can get even better results from an IR you shoot then import into the Axe-FX IR player. Do your tone match with whatever (There are many plugins that can do that, Ozone, Equivicate, etc.), shoot an IR of the match EQ with something like MLSTool, then import that IR into an IR player block. Alternatively, MFreeform can even do a tone match and export the IR directly without the need to shoot the IR.
@GlennO When you say better resolution in TM block, what are the statistics I should compare?. Someone was quoting 8000 individual frequencies being moved around in fabfilter Pro Q3. What’s the corresponding number in Axe FX TM block?

8000 bands? No :). ProQ3 has a maximum of 24 bands. My point is an IR is a more accurate way to export a tone match than a table of parametric EQ bands.

Back
Top Bottom