tone matched presets,is it just me?

tpruitt

First off i just got my axe and really haven't scratched the surface yet but, all of the cool tone matched presets i downloaded from this forum sound like ......well,different.
Either like i have a blanket over the speakers or like its a cheap recording or something.
Right now i have it hooked up by my computer with some mackie frfr's just going through presets i downloaded and saving ones i like.and plan on trying some tone maching too.
when i first got it i had it hooked up to my mesa 395 simiclass power amp and marshall v30 cabnet just playing the factory presets and it killed.even with the bookshelf mackies it sounded good but the tone matched presets not so good.

This is interesting because I feel the same way about any patches with a TMA block. They just sound weird to me. All other presets sounds normal to me, but these tone match ones don't. They sound like they have way too much reverb or something, although there is no reverb in the patch (or very little). I always use AXE EDIT to load all of my presets and I don't seem to have any issues with non-TMA patches.

Well to me.. the tone matched presets i have done. "fit" better in a recording. You get the "knock" in the cab (easier) or something like that :)
Less Eq in DAW

Yes I'm using axedit.the other ones sound great but the t.m. ones sound like there way off in the distance. Like copies of copies of copies or something.

Some of the those TMA presets in Axe-Change are messed up because Axe-Edit didn't save the preset properly. We are going to have to audition them and remove the faulty ones. The ones from me (FractalAudio) should be fine. I tried some last night from "mightwarlock" and they are messed up.

I have never got any patches with TM to work yet. The block where TM should be is always blank and usually the shunts are missing to the block aswell. I have used Cliffs ones too and they dont work. I use Axe Edit. I will try Groovenuts method above tomorrow to see how it works.

ok tried all that and some still sound distant.even tried tone matching.can someone tell me why the t.m. ones sounds really low volume compared to a regular patch.

A couple of things to take into consideration IMHO. First these are other people's presets. The levels are going to be set for how they run their AxeFXII so you may have to do a bit of adjusting. I know that I run my AxeFXII into my audio interface with the output level at full blast so if you run yours lower my presets would sound very low in volume.

Another thing is that they are matched using the other guy's guitar. YMMV is very applicable here.

And lastly a lot of the signature tones sound very weird isolated. Put them in a mix and you've got magic; alone they will sound pretty odd. This is the part that I actually like because I am learning more about how to mix and create patches that occupy the right spectrum and still cut through and sit in their space. This is my absolute biggest weakness to be honest.

A lot of this stuff comes down to my questions about the legality of posting very short isolated cuts for people to re-accomplish a tone match. It would serve as a preview so that we can see what it really sounds like and then we can better match it to our guitars. I know that if you share a complete work that it is illegal, but I do believe that snippets of isolated tracks doesn't represent the entire work. Its a very weird legal question that I honestly don't know if anyone has ever asked outside of people trying to use loops or samples for a song. We're not using the samples other than as a reference tone.

I'm curious to know how much the guitar plays in this. Meaning if you have a guitar that will do a Strat or a Paul tone can you cover a lot of ground with the vintage stuff? Or do you need an arsenal of guitars to get right on the money?

The pickup types and the even the guitar used will play a major roll as to how the TM will work for you and your pickups/guitar. A TM created with single coils will most likely not work very well with humbuckers and the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom