Tone match request: suffocation - pierced from within

This one would be tricky to create on its own… I guess they used a Marshall 8100 valvestate head’s clean channel and a Korg G1 for the distortion pedal 🤔

I’ve been able to get close with the Das Metal but still not quite right…Axe III Tone match might be my only hope (my FM3 won’t do it 😅)

I believe they utilized the Ampeg VH140C heads during this time period. This amp model has been shown to have a similar EQ curve as the 5150 or 6505 amps. That might be a good place to start.
Suffocation used to be my favorite band so I have these things stuck in my head...

Pierced from within used 8100's. Whether or not it had the Korg pedal or not though, I don't know.

The iconic Ampeg tone is on the despise the sun EP. You can hear it clear as day. There is a certain "flatness" to that amp.

Agreed though that 5150 is a good place to start.

Def want to scoop mids (duh)

If you want the most solid state sounding amp in the axe, energy ball has that sorta idk, scooped metal character to it. Has a sorta evilness to it with power chords.

For Suffocation I recommend against V30's. Heavily. They never used them for sure. T75's or K100's were what would've been in their cabs before the Vader cabs endorsement. Ampeg cabs would've been those 85 watt K100 variants. Marshall cabs which I'm sure they started with, T75's at that time I'm sure.

Suffocation used to be my favorite band so I have these things stuck in my head...

Pierced from within used 8100's. Whether or not it had the Korg pedal or not though, I don't know.

The iconic Ampeg tone is on the despise the sun EP. You can hear it clear as day. There is a certain "flatness" to that amp.

Agreed though that 5150 is a good place to start.

Def want to scoop mids (duh)

If you want the most solid state sounding amp in the axe, energy ball has that sorta idk, scooped metal character to it. Has a sorta evilness to it with power chords.

For Suffocation I recommend against V30's. Heavily. They never used them for sure. T75's or K100's were what would've been in their cabs before the Vader cabs endorsement. Ampeg cabs would've been those 85 watt K100 variants. Marshall cabs which I'm sure they started with, T75's at that time I'm sure.
Best response yet!!! I’ll make sure to avoid the V30’s. I even went as far as to download the Eminence impulses for the Legend and ManOWar speakers to try to emulate the Vader sound, but im not a fan of how they tried to basically isolate the speaker sound and take the “cab” part out of the equation with their IR’s 🙄. Still looking for the right cab model to do the trick.

Surprisingly, the Ugritone USA Death Metal IR pack has a decent one that seems to nail that scooped sound pretty well… but don’t know how accurate it is compared to a cab model with T75’s for example.

Best response yet!!! I’ll make sure to avoid the V30’s. I even went as far as to download the Eminence impulses for the Legend and ManOWar speakers to try to emulate the Vader sound, but im not a fan of how they tried to basically isolate the speaker sound and take the “cab” part out of the equation with their IR’s 🙄. Still looking for the right cab model to do the trick.

Surprisingly, the Ugritone USA Death Metal IR pack has a decent one that seems to nail that scooped sound pretty well… but don’t know how accurate it is compared to a cab model with T75’s for example.
I’ve found Vader IRs but didn’t like them at all. I’ve owned a Vader cab for over a decade and it crushes.

Vader cabs from my experience sound good live. Pretty meh when recorded. Something about the speakers just doesn't work with mics in front of it too well.

I personally recommend IR's with DV-77's. check out Kristian Kohles DV-77 pack, his IR's sound the best to me. DV-77 if it had been made in the 90's, I think would've been the number one extreme metal speaker, no question. Perfect for things like we are talking here.

And yeah honestly Eminences own IR's, sound like garbage. Love the company but that decision to remove the character of the cabinet or whatever they did. Awful..

I’ve found Vader IRs but didn’t like them at all. I’ve owned a Vader cab for over a decade and it crushes.
Yeah I wasn’t a fan of the Eminence Digital
Vader cabs from my experience sound good live. Pretty meh when recorded. Something about the speakers just doesn't work with mics in front of it too well.

I personally recommend IR's with DV-77's. check out Kristian Kohles DV-77 pack, his IR's sound the best to me. DV-77 if it had been made in the 90's, I think would've been the number one extreme metal speaker, no question. Perfect for things like we are talking here.

And yeah honestly Eminences own IR's, sound like garbage. Love the company but that decision to remove the character of the cabinet or whatever they did. Awful..
Agreed. Tried a lot of DV77 impulses, definitely need to try Kristian’s pack next and see if it wins me over.

I did make a patch today using the 6505+ lead channel, with EL34 in the tube section, turned down the bias and negative feedback a bit, slight cut on the mids on the preamp, preamp gain dimed, preamp bass slightly boosted, mids completely cut in the 5 band passive post EQ, TS808 drive with gain and tone at 9 o clock and level at noon, and the Ugritone Cacodemon “CENTER” impulse response from the USA Death Metal IR pack and. WOW. You guys were right about the 5150 being the next closest thing to the VH140C. It sounds EXACTLY like Effigy of the Forgotten when done like this!!! The impulse response was really what pushed it over the top. Pure Morrisound bliss!!!

I feel like Kristian's IR's work so well because he's probably the only guy making the impulses purely from a metal context. Well there's Urgitone but as you know they are EQ'd IR's.

I feel like Kristian's IR's work so well because he's probably the only guy making the impulses purely from a metal context. Well there's Urgitone but as you know they are EQ'd IR's.
Precisely. Ya the Ugritone was fun to tide me over until I get paid and can cop the Kristian IR’s, which will have far more professional applications in the long run than these EQ’d IR’s.

Tried the energyball today to celebrate my humbuster cable arriving (can finally use into fx return of my 5150II head) and wow, it sounds really good as long as I go easy on the gain knob hehe, that amp is a beast!!

I love this. It's like the antithesis of "tone".
Yes!! The main thing I was worried about when I bought this unit (Fractal FM3) was that there would only be overly processed-sounding djent and modern metal tones being made for it by the current end users. And sure, there’s tons of that stuff available of course because it’s popular and the AXE gear does it well. But very happy to say, this thing is also capable of such nasty and brutal tones when coming at it with the right experience and mindset 😎. Can get some downright scary and intimidating tones with this thing!!!

I
This is going to sound crazy, but take the Jazz 120 model and switch the tone stack to either the Angle Severe or Das Metal.

Tighten up the compression in the amp block a little using a dynamics controller.

Pair with a scoop V30 ir response.
could NOT get this to work, lol. I had better luck with maxon 808->metal zone -> cab block with no amp block. Sadly still not the same but the scooped v30 ir helped.

Back
Top Bottom