Tone match request: "Cacophony - Go Off!"

jsl2h

Inspired
I've been trying to nail the tone of the solo at the end of the song (2:38 and on) using the tone match block and the cali leggy preset and I'm just not getting there. I ballpark it, but I think my problem is I'm not getting a good enough local tone. I'm pretty sure Jason and Marty used Carvin guitars and amps... I have no idea where to begin. I'm playing an RG2228 and going direct through a TSAlto 115A. Can anyone get this tone? It is quite simply imho the BEST lead tone I think I've ever heard. So saturated but not overly so, just an absolutely amazing distorted tone. I don't know exactly what it is I'm not doing quite right with my local tone but I would kill for one with that much attack and life to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOEQJxE6N0

The amp used on that recording, even if it were a Carvin, would have been pretty different from the Legacy. You'll have better luck with a hot Marshall type. Start with Brown sound patch 311.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ninja, I just got word from Jason himself that he believes he used Carvin guitars and amps, and a Boss Super OD. At least I have a better frame of reference now.

Jason Becker is the man. The Boss Super OD is more important to the Cacophony tone than the amp, but starting off with a Plexi Treble model is where I'd start.

Here is a 5 minute tweak and recording using super OD, plexi treble mix of T75 and V30 cabs (no tone match). first attempt at uploading a recording so we'll see how this goes...

Haha, I thnk your tweaked tone is great! Better than the recording. I'm not an experienced tweaker, so I probably can't help you, but post the patch and I'll try, and hopefully some of the tweak-pros around here can put the icng on the cake.

But as I said, this tone is great in it's own rights...

Haha, I thnk your tweaked tone is great! Better than the recording. I'm not an experienced tweaker, so I probably can't help you, but post the patch and I'll try, and hopefully some of the tweak-pros around here can put the icng on the cake.

But as I said, this tone is great in it's own rights...
yeah i could definitely work off of that if you posted it as a patch, that's waaay closer than everything i've come up with using the recording as a reference. Your playing is great too man!

I just got word from Jason himself that he believes he used Carvin guitars and amps, and a Boss Super OD
Wait, Jason still interact with fans on the net, despite his condition ? I used to work the arpeggios at the beginning of Go Off, when it goes into neoclassical, talk about crazy lines. Btw, does anyone knows when the movie about him will be ready ?

Thanks, here's the patch for anyone interested. Tweak gain and eq for your pickups though, I recorded with an old basswood Jem with Evolution 1 bridge.

:)

Attachments

• Cacophony Lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 76
Thanks, here's the patch for anyone interested. Tweak gain and eq for your pickups though, I recorded with an old basswood Jem with Evolution 1 bridge.

:)
Great, my 2228 is made of basswood and ive got dactivators so i shouldnt have to do too much tweaking. I'll give it a go later since im at work. I'm going to upload my tone match from last night i had a lot better results with the plexi treble model.

Wait, Jason still interact with fans on the net, despite his condition ? I used to work the arpeggios at the beginning of Go Off, when it goes into neoclassical, talk about crazy lines. Btw, does anyone knows when the movie about him will be ready ?
Yep. Jason becker has his own message board he personally replies to fans on. Usually not in too much detail though, its a bunch of guys like me asking what gear he used on albums recorded 20 years ago haha. It said something about the movie coming out really soon, "not dead yet" i believe is what it was called.

Howdy. I had a look at your patch and made a couple of changes. You had the input trim of the plexi maxed out as well as the gain boost on. (maniac!) Changed reverb from spring to hall (the part I assume you tone matched is dry however). Added enhancer as the the recording sounds doubled in some way, so play this one stereo.

Attachments

• Cacophony n9.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 41
This is great!! Now we have three Cacophony patches... Good work guys! :D

ninja, really liked the preset you posted yesterday, really cool lead tone. I'll check out these two later today...

Here is a demo recording of this latest Cacophony style patch that uses jsl2h's tone match. I played a melody from Marty Friedman's "Forbidden City" just for fun. It's a bright and unforgiving tone, very much of its time!

That was really good man, glad to see my patch getting some tweaking!

Howdy. I had a look at your patch and made a couple of changes. You had the input trim of the plexi maxed out as well as the gain boost on. (maniac!) Changed reverb from sprin hall (the part
I assume you tone matched is dry however). Added enhancer as the the recording sounds doubled in some way, so play this one stereo.
The idea behind that was just to get the most attack i could, idk where jason's amp was miracled from but it breaks up so well as you can hear in the recording. I admit, i may have overdone it a bit hehe

Last edited:
Of course you need to take into consideration Marty's extremely weird contortionist style of picking. I bet that adds a different dimension to his tone.

Back
Top Bottom