Tone Match a Stereo Signal?

claxor

Power User
Can tone matching be done from a stereo signal, and include the different qualities of the left vs. right 'reference' sounds? If it can, does the 'local' signal in the axefx 2 have to also be a stereo signal?

You can not tone match a stereo signal direct. Tone match is mono.
But you could probably tonematch each side separately and export each tone match to a separate cab block.
Maybe though you shouldn't sum the two sides into mono since that could give you phase cancellations depending on the original material.

I often run my Axefx Ultra into the effects loop of my Axefx 2, and use a preset on the Ultra that seems to really help some Axefx 2 presets. I tried to recreate them on the Axefx 2, but its not quite as good. So, I'm thinking about tone matching the Ultra preset.

The Ultra preset has two amps, two cabs (both panned), and a PEQ block. Nothing else in it. Like you said, I'm wondering if I tone match one side of the Ultra preset at a time, import the tonematches into user cabs in the Axefx 2, then use both user cabs in one stereo cab block at once. This would allow me to not need the Ultra in the loop of the Axefx 2 anymore.

Think this will work? Will the Ultra preset's panning not be preserved in the recreation?

Think this will work? Will the Ultra preset's panning not be preserved in the recreation?

No. As jeppekristoffer said, TMA is mono. The resualt is a mono frequency curve (response / imagine a 1024 band GEQ Filter). This additive EQ filter on the local signal chain will "correct" the sound (EQ shaping) of local to sound like the reference source.

That said, it`s mono: TMA can "listen" to the frequency curve of a LEFT signal, of a RIGHT signal or it will SUM both signals FIRST before listen to it!

SUMming the reference signal chain (if stereo) means: frequency response LEFT + frequency response right = frequency response reference. Trouble you get, if phase issues happens left and right: phase (+) on the right side + phase (-) on the left side cancel out each other. Result: NO Sound (at these frequencies. This will end in a thin sound. This thin sound would be what the TMA block is "listen" to.

You can check stereo signal how they will sound to the TMA block: Just set your output from STEREO to SUM L+R. If this will NOT affect the EQ in general (sounds thin), you can go ...

Personally i never use SUM L+R.

If you want to capture stereo sounds (ie from the Ultra) with different cabs (frequency responses) on each side: Match both sides one by one, use export TMA to cab. At the end you`ll have to matches on two IRs.

If you want to capture stereo sounds (ie from the Ultra) with different cabs (frequency responses) on each side: Match both sides one by one, use export TMA to cab. At the end you`ll have to matches on two IRs.

Would this work instead:
1) Take the Ultra's preset with its two cabs, and make both cabs centered. (not panned left and right like before)
2) Tone match Amp 1 and Cab 1 from the Ultra into TMA "One" on the Axefx 2.
3) Tone match Amp 2 and Cab 2 from the Ultra into TMA "Two" on the Axefx 2.
4) Import the two new tone matches into user cabs on the Axefx 2.
5) Place both new user cabs into a stereo cab on the Axefx 2 preset, and then pan the two user cabs in this Axefx 2 stereo cab.

Would this work instead:
1) Take the Ultra's preset with its two cabs, and make both cabs centered. (not panned left and right like before)
2) Tone match Amp 1 and Cab 1 from the Ultra into TMA "One" on the Axefx 2.
3) Tone match Amp 2 and Cab 2 from the Ultra into TMA "Two" on the Axefx 2.
4) Import the two new tone matches into user cabs on the Axefx 2.
5) Place both new user cabs into a stereo cab on the Axefx 2 preset, and then pan the two user cabs in this Axefx 2 stereo cab.

Yes. And don`t forget to switch off all time based effects (delay, reverb, chorus, etc...). Match max. the raw Amp+Cab Sound, put back the effects manually...

But let me critique the whole idea ... if i were you, i would IR capture those CABs you like from the Ultra directly with the IR capture tool (=copy them to the Axe-II) and rebuild similiar to better sounds with Amp-Sims from the Axe-II, which will do the job to satisfaction. Easier, more control over tone, more efficiency to me, presumably far better results.

Note: The cabs in the ultra I'm using are merely the factory 4x12 V30.

I understand what you are saying, however, I like what the ultra and the axe 2 are together doing to the end result tone. I basically just want the same tone I'm getting with the ultra and the axe 2 together in a more compact package of just the axe 2 alone.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the ultra is adding, but whatever it is, I love it. I just need a lighter rack package. ;)

Back
Top Bottom