Tone help

RockerAlex

Inspired
So I recently updated from Firmware 9 to 14 there after a break from gigging and needless to say ... it sounds amazing, so now I've got some time to redail in some tones I'm looking for some help with something in particular.

Yeah yeah I know ... typical "how 2 sound like meshoogaz" guitarist here. I'm looking for tips on how to "tighten" up the distortion like in that track, I've done the obvious like low drive, lots of clean boost, very low supply sag, mids scooped to hell ... anybody else got some tips they could share?

For a start, try the Thordendal amp sim...

Secondly do the opposite of scooping mids, this tone is ALL mids (1400Hz in the PEG block Boost it!)

Anything with V30 should get you in the ball park

For a start, try the Thordendal amp sim...

Secondly do the opposite of scooping mids, this tone is ALL mids (1400Hz in the PEG block Boost it!)

Anything with V30 should get you in the ball park

Thorendal sim? :S I came from FW 9 ... obviously I need to do more reading!
Ahh, clearly I'm a sound noob then ... keep in mind I am using a real cab though, it's a Mesa 4x12 with V30s and has nasty as fuck mids, that's probably why I'm scooping?

I've seen that video before, I don't know how that's any use to me?

Last edited:
Just to give you an idea of what other think towards achieving that sound. Yeah boost the shiznit outta those mids.

Just to give you an idea of what other think towards achieving that sound. Yeah boost the shiznit outta those mids.

Is this a tone you've tried to achieve before or is it just a case of trial and error when finding the 1400Hz in this case?

Any other tips with "tightening" up distortion?

1400Hz is the djent frequency that all the players boost to give that "hung hung" type of attack. less gain is more and use an 808 drive in front of the amp. Try tweak the Djentlemanly preset in the factory presets. Change the amp to the Thordendal Modern and boost the mids like hell. Search the forum for djent tone. It's probably the most popular genre as far as demos go on here :D

1400Hz is the djent frequency that all the players boost to give that "hung hung" type of attack. less gain is more and use an 808 drive in front of the amp. Try tweak the Djentlemanly preset in the factory presets. Change the amp to the Thordendal Modern and boost the mids like hell. Search the forum for djent tone. It's probably the most popular genre as far as demos go on here :D

Apart from the obvious tips here, is there anything in the advanced parameters I can take a look at for "tightening" up distortion?

Apart from the obvious tips here, is there anything in the advanced parameters I can take a look at for "tightening" up distortion?
There's really only one way to get the tight, pumping tone in that clip: get yourself a bass and a kick drum, and learn to play the same notes on all three instruments at once. Seriously. That's a three-instrument tone. The guitar by itself isn't nearly that heavy. Go to 1:31 in the clip for a one-second burst of the guitar by itself. That's the real guitar tone.

Try a drive block in front of the amp, set to TS808, low drive, highish tone, highish level. Then page over to the eq section of the drive block, drop the bass a little, set your mid frequency to around 1400-1500, then boost the mids to where you like them. After that, I like to go to the hi cut parameter and lower it some to take the edge off a bit.

On to the amp block, I raise the highs and presence a little, then scroll over to amp eq page, drop the 250hz slider a few dbs, boost the 1k hz a tad, along with the 2k, but a little less than 1k. Scroll back over the Preamp section of the and mess with the Bright parameter to kinna finalize your tone. There is no right or wrong with this one. Whatever sounds good to you, go with it.

If you need a little more attack, you can add a peq after the amp, select the third page of, Q of around .8-ish, freq set to around 1450-ish hz, and a few dbs of increase.

You can also try the Pick Attack parameter in the Amp Block.

There are a few more things I can suggest if that doesn't work for you, so let me know how it works out for you.

There's really only one way to get the tight, pumping tone in that clip: get yourself a bass and a kick drum, and learn to play the same notes on all three instruments at once. Seriously. That's a three-instrument tone. The guitar by itself isn't nearly that heavy. Go to 1:31 in the clip for a one-second burst of the guitar by itself. That's the real guitar tone.

This is true, I realize this ... Just trying to get as close as I can!

Try a drive block in front of the amp, set to TS808, low drive, highish tone, highish level. Then page over to the eq section of the drive block, drop the bass a little, set your mid frequency to around 1400-1500, then boost the mids to where you like them. After that, I like to go to the hi cut parameter and lower it some to take the edge off a bit.

On to the amp block, I raise the highs and presence a little, then scroll over to amp eq page, drop the 250hz slider a few dbs, boost the 1k hz a tad, along with the 2k, but a little less than 1k. Scroll back over the Preamp section of the and mess with the Bright parameter to kinna finalize your tone. There is no right or wrong with this one. Whatever sounds good to you, go with it.

If you need a little more attack, you can add a peq after the amp, select the third page of, Q of around .8-ish, freq set to around 1450-ish hz, and a few dbs of increase.

You can also try the Pick Attack parameter in the Amp Block.

There are a few more things I can suggest if that doesn't work for you, so let me know how it works out for you.

Not to sound cocky, but very little you've suggested here isn't something I automatically go to when I'm creating a high gain tone ... I just feel like it's missing something extra, it's not "tight" enough.

Last edited:
Can anybody else chime in here? I'm looking at the patch tweaking pros around here ... I can't seem to nail the tone I want from my poweramp/cab setup, the Thorendal sim sounds really bad through my Mesa 4x12? :S

Back
Top Bottom