To build or not to build, that is the question...

Its been touched on before im sure, but ive been in this position before too. I wanted to build a custom24 PRS at one point, but the no resell value kinda kills it for me. Not that I buy guitars with the intent to sell at some point, I just feel like I can at least sell it in case something really bad happens. As bad as that sounds.

Dude. Freaking cool story. POST A PICTURE!

I feel your story might be the exception though, going that route seems quite fishy :|

As I was reading this, I did think, "hey that might be fun!" I would love to put my heart and soul into a guitar and truly make it my own. I am currently studying to be a computer software engineer, so naturally I love trial and error and learning new things.

Here is a video of the EMG stuffed U.S. Masters LG507 guitar during the retrofit project:

U.S. Masters LG507 with EMG-X Pickups Video during Retrofit Project - YouTube

This video was taken just after I made the pick guard and prior to wiring up the guitar so the Floyd Rose unit is out.

This black LG507 looks, sounds and feels great and so does my blue LG507 stuffed with Suhr pickups.

Here is a video of the Suhr stuffed LG507 played mindlessly (unfortunately) by me at Dweezilla 2013 (@1:00-1:34):

U.S. Masters LG507 with Suhr Pickups Video taken at Student Jam Session at Dweezilla 2013 - YouTube

Sorry for the lack of phrasing and recorded sound quality, but this will give you an idea of the action on an LG507.

Last edited:
I feel I should post this update as I think it says a lot for the company. In my previous post about my new Suhr I gave it a solid 9 out of 10. The reason it wasn't a 10 was the aging process that was done on the back of the neck just did not look right to me. Not a big deal really but it nag'd me. So in talking to customer service at Suhr (awesome service btw), not a single question was asked and his reply was that they would gladly build me a new neck. Plain and simple. No hassle.

I read somewhere that John Suhr's goal was to recreate that special mojo certain guitars have. That special mojo isn't anything magical. Well, if you consider luck magic, then maybe. It's not only the craftsmanship but also when the individual parts work together to make the end product play and sound so good. Woods that are cured a certain way, hand picked to tonaly compliment each other etc. All of the parts shape the tonality of the end product. To me that's what you pay for in a custom build with any luthier. His knowledge and expertise.

This is my first custom guitar so maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but I'm blown away.

\m/

in talking to customer service at Suhr (awesome service btw), not a single question was asked and his reply was that they would gladly build me a new neck. Plain and simple. No hassle.

I read somewhere that John Suhr's goal was to recreate that special mojo certain guitars have. That special mojo isn't anything magical. Well, if you consider luck magic, then maybe. It's not only the craftsmanship but also when the individual parts work together to make the end product play and sound so good. Woods that are cured a certain way, hand picked to tonally compliment each other etc. All of the parts shape the tonality of the end product. To me that's what you pay for in a custom build with any luthier. His knowledge and expertise.

I have heard they have a 10 year warranty on their necks. Pretty amazing. I am very impressed with the company. My wallet isn't though.

For me, its difficult to constantly pickup a $3000+ guitar and play it at home, as I would be scared to drop it or do something stupid - Especially with a set neck ... so for me a bolt on neck was a preference for future-stupid-proofing

We share the same sentiment. If there is a benefit to a set neck, I guess I'll miss out. I would much rather have the ability to replace a neck without spending a fortune if "something" went wrong. This is why I am not drawn to Les Paul style guitars, at least for this purchase.

While I love SG's and hollow bodies, there is very little customization that can be done without spending a fortune. Personally, I also believe you can achieve the same tonal quality without suffering the weight and imbalance issues a Les Paul presents. I have shoulder and back issues I have to monitor and a stratocaster style can better accommodate my needs. I need a players guitar, not an antique.

Eventually, I'll get the SG, hollowbody, Jazzmaster, what have you of my dreams, but for this next purchase I'm hoping to achieve a happy medium.

... It's scary having a guitar built that you planned on paper but won't have a chance to play before hand. I was so relieved when I played it for the first time. My homework paid off (with a bit of luck as well). ...

View attachment 17859

Even scarier when you don't have the fine techs at Suhr assembling your dream axe and you are slapping one together yourself for the first time instead!

Last edited:
I'm doing several builds (Warmoth and others)!

3 are with SD Zypher Pups(all 3 versions) Strat traditional, Strat with 2 Zypher humbuckers and a Tele with the Zyphers.

All 3 have the F holes and are chambered.

Just completed the first which is a Strat with the SD Zyphers traditional Strat pups, hardtail 2TEK bridge and a Tronical Tuner!

The body and neck with SS frets alone is $1000. The Zypher set is $1500.

Already $2500.....Tronical tuners as well.

Pretty expensive "partscaster" I would say!

The others standard SD custom pups with various thin and fat necks.

The Tele I'm doing now will have the bulkier V-Boat profile. That feels nice as mentioned by someone earlier!

Back
Top Bottom