To avoid "HELP blablabla"-threads

Kriig

Fractal Fanatic
Why don´t you all just start with a blank preset, and build it from scratch????? V3 obviously sound different anyway..

This way, we don´t get so many "HELP, my sound is f..... up"- threads.

1- Make a preset from scratch.
2- Use the front of the Axe to edit as well, if you don´t find it in the edit(not updated yet)
3- Read the release notes
4- Read all the treads on this board before you whine
5- Read the release notes
6- Make a preset from scratch.
7- Read the release notes
8- READ THE RELEASE NOTES

i don´t have Axe II (will come), but i still see the problem AND the solution without it. Use brain and eyes people :)

I disagree.
I simply do not have time to rebuild all my patches (which are not many, btw) every time a new firmware comes out.
Furthermore, I refuse to believe that someone inventing a stellar product like this intended it to be this way.
Like I said/asked in the other thread, it should go like this:
1. You update firmware.
2. Existing presets that make use of improved models or whatnot should sound better (or same...) all by themselves.
3. Existing presets that do not should have extra tweaks/parameters to make them sound better.

Simple as that. Imagine a HDD format every time a Windows update comes out? Sucks.
But then again, I haven't tried 3.0 yet, and will have to wait until Monday. We'll see.

EDIT: Turns out it works as it should, i.e. without much interference, other than a quick re-save of the patch.

Cheers,

Benji

Last edited:
Benji,

I mean absolutely no disrespect here. But... I want to defend Cliff and FAS on this. This particular firmware update included a MAJOR improvement in power amp modeling. This is definitely going to have an impact on how the models sound, and existing presets will need to be re-worked to be able to take advantage of all the new parameters, and improved parameters that are available.

I do not want FAS to stop improving and innovating just because it will make everyone's existing presets sound different. I'll take improvement and innovation any day, even if it means me having to re-work my presets.

Also remember... you don't HAVE to update your firmware. If you do, you have CHOSEN to do so.

I see in your EDIT that you're saying it seemed to work ok for you? Was this after you did the upgrade, and realized it wasn't so bad? If I misinterpreted anything in your post, my apologies.

-Tom

Tom,

in another thread Cliff answered concerning the EQ setting and levels, my major points that I invested time in, so that's why I edited.
I haven't upgraded yet, so maybe/likely this is all a little premature, but initially all I did was disagree with the OP about starting from scratch (again...).
I could go on about this, but suffice it to say that I'm looking for an "it just works" kind of experience, in order to be able to focus on my playing rather than tone tweaking, which should be pristine in a top-dollar piece of gear anyway. More Apple, less Windows, so to speak (whole new/old can of worms here...:shock, but you'll surely catch my drift).
I'll install on Monday, but since Cliff reported it'll all be good anyway, I do not expect to run into serious issues.

'till then,

Benji

good points on both sides; I would say essential questions were not answered in the release notes; I would also say those of us that have worked countless hours on presets shouldnt be brushed off or cast aside as whiners, especially if there has been no whining but just some simple questions asked. Krigg do you enjoy hours of work potentially destroyed, chillax. There will always be questions, or misunderstandings as to what a new release does.

Finally, no I would never ever never suggest against the continued upgrading and improvement of this fine instrument; once my questions are answered (after rtfrn and still questions), I am happy to make an educated rather than blind leap CHOICE of whether to upgrade, as stated we do have a choice.

And I think I discovered a bug which is what my previous "help, my stuff sounds like crap" thread was about. In v3.0 set your amp model's tonestack to active, then adjust your bass setting up to +2 or higher dB and listen for the ring mod effect on every note you play. Maybe it's just my rig, but that's what I'm hearing. All other settings can remain at their default. That's the issue I was running into and I don't think I was whining or crying about it, just bringing it to everyone's attention so hopefully it can be fixed.

I'm not opposed to building entirely new presets from scratch and do so often with every new release but I still use some "bread n' butter" presets that I've built or tweaked over time and feel no need to scrap them wholesale just because a new firmware version is released. Even if it's as major a release as this one.

There is allways need of questions, that´s why we have a forum.

Just talking about obvious things that will take 3 min of reading or turning of a knob.... IMHO, of course...

And i did not say that you have to make all new preset, just make one new and see what happens. If you change speakers or tubes in a regular amp, you may change the eq to.

Last edited:
guys changes are going to be made that effect the presets... has happend the whole way with the gen 1 hardware. I was with the ultra since 5, and there were many updates that it was a start over situation, but in the end the end result was for the better. sucks yes, but sucked less after i got better sounds coming out of the box.

And I think I discovered a bug which is what my previous "help, my stuff sounds like crap" thread was about. In v3.0 set your amp model's tonestack to active, then adjust your bass setting up to +2 or higher dB and listen for the ring mod effect on every note you play. Maybe it's just my rig, but that's what I'm hearing. All other settings can remain at their default. That's the issue I was running into and I don't think I was whining or crying about it, just bringing it to everyone's attention so hopefully it can be fixed

Also noticed this...

We are definitely constantly discussing how new updates will affect users existing presets and we're conscious of the frustration it can cause. We don't want to cause unnecessary stress for you guys.

But on the other hand we want the models to be as accurate as possible. So as a general guideline, if there is an accuracy improvement to a particular amp model or cabinet that would significantly impact the user's existing presets, we try to think of ways to make the transition as seamless as possible. This is how Cliff came up with the idea of the proximity control.

There are certain things that are just beyond our control. islandmusic suggests that all firmware upgrades should automatically result in the user's presets sounding "better (or the same)" as the previous firmware. The Axe-FX II does not have the ability to listen to your presets and make this judgement for you. So there are some things that the user will still have to do on their own.

Yeah, yeah, I got it....;)
Actually, I don't mind a little adjustment in my presets, it's just that I'm usually playing without a soundman/engineer in the audience, and therefore am very dependent on relative levels between patches being just perfect. I adjust these levels right after tunes during gigs and save them, which makes the time invested in them very valuable, since I can only do this ever so often.
Thing is, I could do this at home, but live on the battlefield it always sounds different.
Plus, I am pretty perfectionist and get easily distracted by stuff that isn't set the way I want it to...:eek:ops

But: I'll upgrade on Monday, and since Cliff already indicated it wouldn't be a big deal, I don't worry too much (anymore). And of course I fully expect 3.0 to sound bigger, better, faster, more!!
Wouldn't be Fractal if it didn't, right?8)

Peace out,

Benji

Benji,

Good luck with the upgrade. Hopefully it won't cause you too much grief with your existing presets. Just remember, if it doesn't go well you can always downgrade back to 2.0.

Also, remember to backup your existing presets just in case. :D

How about 2 versions of each firmware update: Version A updates the Axe's firmware with the new features and improvements and presets might need to be adjusted, Version B does nothing but update the version number so the user has the same sounds but the cool new firmware version number

Isn't there a way to make the AFII sound WAY better but sound EXACTLY the same? ;)

I see that MaxTwang figured out a way.

I appreciate the OPs sentiments, but it would be helpful to have the release notes explain how the firmware update may affect patches along with suggestions on how we may be able to compensate.

To quote the release notes:

NOTE: THIS VERSION WILL LIKELY CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. THERE HAVE
BEEN NUMEROUS CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS
AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE
RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED
TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

Back
Top Bottom