TNT LeTekro Preset Attempt on AxeFX...VIDEO Clip

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
Last week I found out how Ronni LeTekro gets his crazy mid boosted tone from some friends at Rig-Talk. Last week I found an old BOSS BF2 and tried it out with my OD100se+ and it sounded really cool. I uploaded a video and had a few requests to make a patch with the AxeFx to get the same sort of tone.
Here's my attempt at recreating a TNT Ronni LeTekro type guitar tone on the AxeFx. Ronni uses a BOSS BF2 to get his tone. He sets it so it is like a notch filter or PEQ. Before you guys start getting on me about too much gain please download the preset and check the settings...the gains are set pretty darn low and I am NOT using the SPC control on my guitar...lol. I setup a couple of filters and a PEQ in the preset to emulate what the BF2 does.

This is a direct patch on the AxeFx straight into the my Apogee Duet. The Preset is available on the AxeChange through the editor in Bank K it is also available in this post as an attachment. I pulled 250 and 500hz down a tad with Global EQ 1. The cab is a factory IR (Cali 4x12).

Thanks to Chub and Ralphie (Rig-Talk) for steering me towards the BF2 and to donbarzini who suggested I use MatchEQ (Logic Pro) to figure out the frequencies that the BOSS BF2 messes with.
BTW the BF2 takes down 400-500hz and 1100-1200hz and boosts 800hz.

Oh, and guys it's far from exact and the playing is far from correct and wonderful :) I tell you one thing that Suhr guitar looks pretty in HD!

Mark
[attachment=0:1vvwn064]'s LeTekro 2.syx[/attachment:1vvwn064]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIIrAHtM0Zc&fmt=22

Attachments

• \'s LeTekro 2.syx
    2 KB · Views: 121
Never asked, but how much midrangey stuff do those active pups add in there?

Does sound great....will be trying it later after my chicks are in the rack...

Ron

Originally, my 86 Charvel Model 4 was wired with an active mid-boost circuit (I have rewired it several times, and is now loaded with an EVH Frankenstein in the bridge), and the tones in that video are fairly similar to that stock guitar.

Once again, thanks for the videos - instantly transported to 1985.

Good to see LeTekro gettin some love! His tone was definitely his own. 10,000 lovers is one of my all time favorite tunes. Ill have to drop your preset into my Ultra sometime soon. Thanks a bunch!

Ventanaman said:
Mr. Day, when it comes to 80's metal tones, you are the master - hats off and keep the videos coming!

Thanks dude!!!

Mark

Sounds great as usual homey. Do you know of a good similar plug-in like MatchEQ for ProTools or VST? I'm currently doing all my recording on a PC, so Logic is out o' the question for me.

Sweet! Oh i am going to have fun with this one, i have knights on vinyl but no turntable to play it on :lol: Oh well, we got youtube now, lol.
So how bout gettin to work on that tape echo effect haha :twisted:

Thanks Man!

GuitarDojo said:
My hair started to grow again!!!! :lol:

Maybe I could make money marketing this :)
Care to be a spokesmodel? lol
Mark

Definitely I don't get close to your result :(
Then your guitar gear is the difference - too bad for me :lol:

Here I get a nice sound, warm and with a lot of bass (making me say that the preset would be really useful ;)), but without enough gain, and far away from the 'brilliance' of Letekro's sound ...

Is here a way to 'simulate' your active pickup? can I simply increase the input gain on the Distortion?

Now last question, on your 1st video on Letekro's attempt, you speak about the Flanger, and here in the preset, no flanger at all. so I deduce that you use the pedal to retrieve the 'equalisation' that LeTekro get from the pedal, and not the flanger effect?

anyway, I'll have some fun at tweaking from here, to learn more about all these! Thank you so much :ugeek:

BozKiller said:
Definitely I don't get close to your result :(
Then your guitar gear is the difference - too bad for me :lol:

Here I get a nice sound, warm and with a lot of bass (making me say that the preset would be really useful ;)), but without enough gain, and far away from the 'brilliance' of Letekro's sound ...

Is here a way to 'simulate' your active pickup? can I simply increase the input gain on the Distortion?

Now last question, on your 1st video on Letekro's attempt, you speak about the Flanger, and here in the preset, no flanger at all. so I deduce that you use the pedal to retrieve the 'equalisation' that LeTekro get from the pedal, and not the flanger effect?

anyway, I'll have some fun at tweaking from here, to learn more about all these! Thank you so much :ugeek:

You could try and increase the gain on the amp sim and the BB Pre sim a little to get closer to my pickup's gain structure.
Remember to take 63hz right off in Global 1 EQ and pull 250 and 500 down just a tad.

You could also go to the PEQ block in the preset and bring the gain up a little at 800hz and pull 400hz down a little more.

BTW the way Ronni has his BF2 set is to turn the Manual knob to 10 and everything else to zero...so it is no longer acting as a flanger anymore.
It sounds more like a parametric that cuts at 400/1200 and boosts at 800hz with no sweeping flange sound.

Mark

That was cool how there are videos from you with the Axe and with your amp doing similar riffs. Honestly, I prefer the Axe in this case by a long shot!

Mark, this patch rules (and your playing too). Many thanks...from one gainiac to another.

I loaded it in just a few minutes ago, and it sounds pretty good thru my QSC's. I read your recent post re setting the global EQ, which Ive never messed with, and I got confused...so I went another way. I grabbed my favorite Marsha preset -one that I created just after those sims were added (using the same Cali-Cab - my Pick for best cab sim in the Axe-Fx) & stole your parallel delay & reverb settings & it sounds great.

Perfect for me! Thanks Mark!

Back
Top Bottom